Roland CM-110 or CM-220 for VG-99/VST and Recording Monitors???

Started by guitarno, February 25, 2013, 07:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarno

Greetings,

I have a set of RCF 312A's (Mk II) that I was using for amplifying the output of a VG-99. They are very good PA speakers with smooth output & good bass response. They have performed very well for this purpose, but now I find myself in a much smaller room (for now) and I need to have something more compact for recording (Logic Pro) and practicing. The RCF's are really big for the room I'm in, and I have been thinking of buying a set of dedicated powered recording monitors (Mackie MR5 or 8 MkII's, Presonus Eris 5's or 8's, Yamaha HS50M, JBL LSR2325P's) or something along those lines.

I originally thought I could use the RCF's for both recording & live performance, and I really like them, but as I said they take up too much real estate in my room. They are reasonably flat, but they are not strictly designed for recording, and are not really the equivalent of the above mentioned speakers for recording purposes. My recording however is strictly for my own purposes and totally non commercial so I really don't need the type of accurate reproduction you would have in a professional recording studio, just something that is not extremely hyped in frequencies.

Anyway, I still would like to have one set of powered monitors to use for practicing, recording, and performance. I would be using these to amplify the output of VST instruments and maybe other signals such as acoustic guitars. I don't have an unlimited budget, so either I buy cheaper small speakers for recording, or maybe find something more mid priced that I can use for both that is a little more compact, and sell off the RCF's.

I recently saw the Roland CM-110 / 220 instrument amp system online (haven't heard them in person), and I was wondering if anyone has seen or used these? They look like they would be ideal for amplifying virtual guitar such as the VG-99 and VST instruments. Seems a lot more compact than 2 12" pole mounted cabinets with horns. I'm not sure how well they would do for recording purposes, but if they are reasonably close to decent low to mid price studio monitors I think that would be good enough for me.

Anyone out there have any experience with these or heard them in person? Do you think they would be passable as recording monitors?

Thanks!
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

RCF's are Extremely High Quality, and tough to duplicate their sound in a smaller package
( I seldom mention RCF, or FBT because they are very hard to locate here in the USA)

- so I will frame my response based upon my perception of your high expectations.

Ultimately you are going to have to listen yourself to what suits your expectations for flat freq response and decibel level capability of the Amplified Monitor choices you want to buy.

Last time I saw the band "Boston" in 2006, Tom Sholz had a pair of Mackie HR824 Studio Monitors on the floor directly in front of him as his personal stage mix in a tilt up protective cage.

But I will note that a Pair of Yamaha HS-80's might meet your needs - except they are fragile to move since they lack any front grill to protect the speaker during transit.  (See a local car stereo shop and add protective grills)

RE: The CM-110s,  I heard Alex Hutchings  at NAMM in 2012 play the G-5 using a GT-100 and feeding the CM-110's - Not sure how they would hold up with a full band and real drummer (the ultimate test for ANY choice) - they worked if all you are doing is playing a local solo gig at a coffee house, where folks may tell you to turn down.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM110

guitarno

Thanks for the reply Elantric.

I did consider buying studio type monitors & using them live for the VST sounds but I would be very concerned about their fragility as you noted. Interesting that Tom Sholtz used them for his monitors. You really would have to build a custom cabinet to protect them. Many of the ones I've seen at the music stores already have dented cones on the high frequency drivers and they're still on the shelves, brand new.

Building special boxes for them would be doable. I'll have to keep that in mind as an option. Probably would be better for recording  with real recording monitors than the CM-110 / CM-120's. I will have to find the Roland CM systems somewhere locally so I can give them a listen first hand to know if they would be good enough for my recording purposes. I haven't found a lot of reviews on them - I don't know if they're out in the music stores locally yet.
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

King2040

Guitarno,

Another option from Roland to consider is a pair of CM-30's.  You can find them used all day long for +/- $100.  Picked up a pair of them after reading a good number of reviews and finding a thread or two on the VG Forums suggesting them as a nice FR solution for a VG-99.  My needs don't require anything larger, and I've been quite pleased with my set.  Besides the price, they offer lots of connection options, plus, they're rugged as hell, and I've no fear of taking them out of the house.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/663/507

QuoteVersatile and portable, the new CM-30 CUBE Monitor delivers 30 watts of audio punch through a rugged, high-quality 6.5" coaxial 2-way speaker with stereo preamp. The CM-30 is ideal for home-studio and wide-ranging monitoring applications, but it can be used for live monitoring onstage as well.

Ultra-versatile monitor for studio, stage, and more
    6.5" coaxial, 2-way speaker with stereo preamp
    30-watt output
    3 input channels, with one XLR input for mic/line and 2 additional Aux inputs
    Stereo Link function for stereo connection between two units, for a total of up to 8 stereo inputs and 2 mono mic/line inputs
    Metal grill cover, corner protectors, and handle grip for easy transport

Elantric

I agree - watching Roland demos since 1980, Id say a pair of Roland CM-30 monitors were employed 80% of the time.