Peavey KB2

Started by musicman65, June 16, 2014, 04:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicman65

I've owned several mono KB amps and they all have lacked something in character when reproducing guitar and synth sounds or they lack volume. That being said, I found a Peavey KB2 at Essex, a bargain hunter store that sells return items at discount. I.paid $160 figuring I would return it if it sucks.

This little amp is bi-amped with 45w LF/12w HF (57w total). It also has a true coaxial arrangement with the HF driver in the center of the 10" speaker. It has a very neutral tone that isn't boxy or honky. The best part...it is LOUD. It reaches SPL of typical full range amps in the 250w range.. It has enough "oomph" to keep up with a drummer and a 30-40 watt tube combo. Typically, a solid state amp needs way more wattage to do this. Perhaps the speaker is closely matched and tuned, or the amps have well engineered limiters...or is conservatively rated. However Peavey did it...its a hit in my book.

I tested it wide open and eased the signal up as I played. Fast transient high frequency sounds (pick attack),produced a squashed tone when approaching wide open. This is the limiter kicking in. It still sounded good, just different. At reduced levels, this disappeared and sounded very natural. Normally Fender Twin modelled tones suck through anything but high end FRFR due to the full range and character of that amp. The KB2 sounded very neutral and reproduced my Fender Twin tones faithfully...impressive.

It has 4 channels and I ran L and R outs to channel 1 and 2 for testing. I am normally a stereo only player but it sounded pretty good. My IEMs still are my monitor for stage but my Motion Sound KP500S is used as my stage volume. The KB2 will now be used when on smaller stages.

This little guy will be used like a floor monitor in front of me. It is small enough to lean it back and it will create plenty of good quality FRFR volume to meet my needs in small venues....and won't break my back or take up a lot of room in my vehicle.

So, add the little Peavey KB2 to the list of small FRFR monitoring amps suitable for stage use where volumes are kept at reasonable levels.

Elantric

Here's the Peavey KB Amp Family portrait

Details here:
http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/series/1072/KB%C2%AE%20Series

Cups

I have a KB-2 and find i hear too much horn. Sounds great on acoustic but not very good on electric patches. I couldn't recommend it.
In the process of shopping for something bigger.