Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyrivers

I had a similar problem with my Ibanez.  Except that wasn't the only problem.  I resolved to buy a graphite nut with a new guitar pre-attached.   :P

Right now my Carvin and Schecter C-7 are my go to guitars.

trev27

My Ibanez RG1570 with internal GK3 kit
Takamine EG 530 electro Acoustic
Ibanez RG2610
Ibanez RG1570
Aria PE DLX

mateomasfeo

Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

carydad

Just put this in another thread-seems to fit here better.

mooncaine

Nice, Chevy, very nice. Yeah, 24 frets is even sweeter when you have a 13-pin pickup. Good thinking on the nut.

Carydad, that looks pretty sweet. What's the "blower?"

Oh, never mind, I just found your earlier thread. Yeh, nice.

--moonie

Philip

This is a GK-Kit-GT3 loaded Ibanez Gio GRGM Mikro (this is many G's in one guitar...). The Tone control is now the GK Volume. I also added the Strat output jack plate for the normal guitar signal, I think it suits the guitar somehow.
Main gear: Godin Freeway SA with Graph Tech stuff, Telecaster lite ash with Graph Tech stuff, G-Sharp with GK-3a, Ibanez Gio Mikro with GK-Kit-GT, GR-55's (plural), Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Amplitube 3 on Macbook Pro, Line6 POD HD500, 2x FRFR RCF 310A

wilkinsi

marcussousa

This is my Cort PRS style.

aliensporebomb

Anyone know a tech in the upper midwest who can install a GK internal kit? 

See this?

The GK3 fit great on my Soloist guitar but on my EX-2 the 3 position switch buts up and interferes with the tail end of the Floyd bridge on that guitar.  So, tuning is iffy at best because the rounded part of the wart interferes with the proper level bridge position unless I
keep everything in one exact position and don't use the whammy too much.  That's no good.

The only other solution I can think of is to find a Floyd equipped Ibanez to put the GK3 on. 

Grumble.  I'd rather not ship this guitar, at all, outside of Minnesota.

I considered trying to make the GK3 a "convertible" to an internal kit but I'd probably mess the process up.  The two non-functional mini-switches would be a good place for the patch increment/decrement buttons.

Ideas?  I might try to track down another instrument for GK use but at this point I'd rather not.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

For GK Internal installs I always refer folks to use the RMC Pickup recommended  Luthier List.

These same folks all know how to properly install your Roland GK Internal kit too.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on March 22, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

For GK Internal installs I always refer folks to use the RMC Pickup recommended  Luthier List.

These same folks all know how to properly install your Roland GK Internal kit too.

OMG?  Nechville?  That literally is walking distance from my house.  They make Banjos!

mmmmgtr

Have you considered double-sided tape for connecting the GK3 "wart" to the body?
You could place it wherever you want and get it out of the way of the Floyd. I've used
double-sided tape quite successfully on poly finishes. I've installed, removed, reinstalled,
and on, and on, etc.... with NO issues on the guitar finish. I probably wouldn't do it on a
lacquer finish as the glue might melt the clearcoat.

Just a thought since you don't seem to mind the external setup save for the fact that it gets
in the way of the Floyd. Many on this board prefer the internal install due to the clean look
as compared to the GK3 wart on top of the guitar. From a performance perspective there is
no advantage either way for the controls. It comes down to asthetics and maybe control placement
flexibility. The pickup is more critical for performance, but I've even had great results using double
sided tape for that as well.

YMMV....

mmmmgtr

Just thought of another option(s)....

If the GK mounting bracket is not in the way, what about using double-sided tape to
secure the "wart" to the bracket a little further towards the strap pin? You might even goes
as far as to drill a few new holes in the bracket so you can reposition the "wart" on the bracket
to get it out of the way. With either method you could not only slide it down, but also rotate it
to help. Of course my original suggestion still gives the most flexibility. I just thought that if you
were leery about tape-on-finish, these other options might be a bit more appealing.

Best of luck!!

burningyen

Ben
www.burningyen.com
www.b-wayguitars.com

neophytte

Quote from: burningyen on April 05, 2013, 05:33:49 AM

What does the bit on the right say .. "original ??? body" ... ??

Cheers

Richard

cell7

original foreign body - awesome!  ;D

burningyen

Ben
www.burningyen.com
www.b-wayguitars.com

neophytte

aliensporebomb

That is absolutely the BEST!  Where on earth did you get the stickers to do that?  Fantastic.  And nice David Gilmour tribute while you were at it.  "Original foreign body", love it!  :)

ProgMystic

What a beautiful thing.. the Floydian Synthcaster.  8)
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

greekjgg

Here is my newly completed Frankenstrat GK Model....rather than cut out a side chunk for the jack I was able to install it in the pickguard with a little additional routing of the control cavity.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

rolandvg99

My main GK-axe: A Korean made '02 Cort HBH Strat. Saddles, nut and frets are not stock. Graph Tech saddles, LSR roller nut and Dunlop 6100 frets. Bought new for $300 including hardcase. Mag-lok trem setter added later and replaced a TremolNo. My favourite backup tuner, the Planet Waves NS mini headstock tuner is great for backstage tuneups.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

trev27

Ibanez RG2610
Ibanez RG1570
Aria PE DLX

Elantric

nice clean install.

At first I thought you had some D-Tuna saddle on high E, but I see you have a chrome replacement floyd saddle on the black floyd.

trev27

yeah gonna replace that with a black one, was like that when i bought it.
I removed the tone control so i could have it in that position, as i dont like them
level with the strap lock as find it hard to use.
My other 2 guitars have internal kits, might do the same to this one, not sure yet though
Ibanez RG2610
Ibanez RG1570
Aria PE DLX