Takstar WPM-200 Wireless In Ear Monitors

Started by gumtown, February 16, 2014, 03:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on February 16, 2014, 03:01:49 PM
I can't remember if it was here or on the Kemper forum, but someone was using a cheap microphone either suspended above or aimed at the crowd and then mixing a little of that in their IEMs, just to not feel disconected from the audience. Sounded like a good plan
That was here in this topic, @ reply #42
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10263.msg74917#msg74917

Pickup up my new IEM's this morning and gave them a quick try out, cell phone MP3 player into the transmitter,
and did a walk about with the receiver.
Quite good for what i payed for it, the supplied ear buds are a bit lacking on top end response, but i have better ones to use anyway.

This is what i brought new for $US 75.00 + $20 P&P sent over from HongKong,
pretty good value i thought, 6 RF channels to choose from with frequency display on the receiver (780~810MHz)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281223947983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Can get extra receivers separately too.
I was going to eventually get something more expense, but this one seems to work very well, no background hiss.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteThis is what i brought new for $US 75.00 + $20 P&P sent over from HongKong,
pretty good value i thought, 6 RF channels to choose from with frequency display on the receiver (780~810MHz)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281223947983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

(Image removed from quote.)

I took a gamble and ordered one of these IEM systems too.

Expect it to take 2 weeks to deliver from Singapore to California.

I'll report back with my thoughts after I test it out.

New Original Takstar wpm-200 Wireless Monitor System In-Ear Stere
UHF frequency band (780-805MHz) and PLL frequency synthesized technology for stable working performance

6 selectable channels
Powered by 2pcs AA batteries, low power consumption design for long playtime up to 30 hours
Multiple sets of receivers can be operated with a single transmitter within the operating range
Dynamic expansion circuitry for high S/NO ratio
Complex anti-interference circuit for using 4-6sets at the same time without mutual interference
Receiver LCD displays frequency, channel and battery level

Application:
Studio recording monitoring, on stage monitoring.
Specification:

Transmitter:
Frequency Range: 780-805MHz
Power supply: DC 12V/ 300mA
Transmit Power: <=10dBm
Operating Current: 80mA ±10Ma
Operating Range: 50m

BackDAWman

I looked at the Takstar as well but I found these:

Wireless Audio Music Sound 2.4GHz Transmitter Receiver Adapter HI-FI F PC Phone

They work at 2.4gHz and are stereo. I run a stereo aux mix to the transmitter that I can control with an iPad via a Presonus digital desk. I used them last gig and it worked well! I connected Shure SE215s which isolate extremely well. I could barely hear the drummer! Voice foldback was excellent and the GR55 in stereo was the best!

These look really cheap but work well. I think I paid $37 with postage

Elantric

QuoteI looked at the Takstar as well but I found these:

Wireless Audio Music Sound 2.4GHz Transmitter Receiver Adapter HI-FI F PC Phone

They work at 2.4gHz and are stereo.

How is the latency?

I'm hesitant to try many of these low cost 2.4GHz systems after my disaster with the "Intellitouch Freedom One Digital Wireless Pedal Tuner

http://www.amazon.com/Intellitouch-Freedom-Wireless-System-WT1/dp/B0092XFYWU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
This one above has very noticable 50 millisecond latency that really intrudes on ones live performance, particularly if used with a JTV Variax (which itself adds another 20ms Latency when Modeled guitars are used)

JolietJake

Sound quality of the Takstar is amazing (Once again throw away the ear buds and use your own).
You can get the system in the UK pretty cheap from a company called Gear4music.

Elantric

QuoteSound quality of the Takstar is amazing (Once again throw away the ear buds and use your own).

Colin, Thanks for the report on the TakStar IEM

What earbuds do you recommend?

Mine shipped a few days ago - but I don't expect to see it until 1st week of March.

Question - someone else implied the Takstar IEM was not Stereo, but i assume this is wrong?

gumtown

Quote from:  Colin on February 20, 2014, 10:33:34 AM
Sound quality of the Takstar is amazing (Once again throw away the ear buds and use your own).
You can get the system in the UK pretty cheap from a company called Gear4music.
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-by-Gear4music/OUE
That's so funny that they have their own brand name printed on them.

They have specs i have not seen before, they must have done their own testing.

Features/Specifications

Transmitter
•Frequency Range: 863.1-864.9MHz
• Transmitter Power: 10dBm
•Operating current: 80mA±10mA
•Power Supply: DC12V/300mA
•Operating Range: 50m

Receiver
•Frequency Response: 30Hz-18kHz
•Stereo Separation: >50dB
•S/N Ratio: >50dB
•Operating Current: 50mA±20mA
•Sensitivity: S/N 12dB 3uV
•Channels: 6 frequency channels
•Power Supply: DC 3V (2pcs AA Batteries)
•Battery Time: Approximately 30 hours

For ear-buds myself have always used regular Panasonic ones for all sorts of situations,
and my singer who uses a db Tech IEM 600 system also prefers using Panasonic ear-buds over the db Tech ones and the cheaper line of Shures.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Excellent  - thanks for  posting these specs  - they look better than I anticipated.

Quotemyself have always used regular Panasonic Earbuds

Can you state the model # ?

gumtown

Just the regular ol'
Panasonic RP-HJE200

Key Specs
Ear-bud, in-ear headphones
Includes 3 extra ear-bud cover sets in small, medium and large sizes for added convenience and comfort
Available in several colors; Black, white, light-blue, and pink
Convenient cord-sliding carrying case for tangle free storage
3.9 foot twist-free cord
Driver Unit Size: 11.5mm/ 0.45"
Impedance: 16 Ohms
Sensitivity: 104dB/mW
Max Power Input: 200mW
Frequency Response: 6Hz-25,000Hz
Magnet: Neodymium
MSRP: $19.99

Elantric

BackDAWman

Quote from:  gumtown on February 20, 2014, 02:32:45 PM
http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Wireless-In-Ear-Monitor-System-by-Gear4music/OUE
That's so funny that they have their own brand name printed on them.

They have specs i have not seen before, they must have done their own testing.

Features/Specifications

Transmitter
•Frequency Range: 863.1-864.9MHz
• Transmitter Power: 10dBm
•Operating current: 80mA±10mA
•Power Supply: DC12V/300mA
•Operating Range: 50m

Receiver
•Frequency Response: 30Hz-18kHz
•Stereo Separation: >50dB
•S/N Ratio: >50dB
•Operating Current: 50mA±20mA
•Sensitivity: S/N 12dB 3uV
•Channels: 6 frequency channels
•Power Supply: DC 3V (2pcs AA Batteries)
•Battery Time: Approximately 30 hours

For ear-buds myself have always used regular Panasonic ones for all sorts of situations,
and my singer who uses a db Tech IEM 600 system also prefers using Panasonic ear-buds over the db Tech ones and the cheaper line of Shures.

I assume that it is stereo?

JolietJake

I use these inexpensive ear buds with mine.

JVC HAEBX5V

They are inexpensive, available in a range of colours and sound pretty good. They are also over ear sports earbuds so dont get pulled out easily when the cable gets snagged and seem quite resistant to falling out due to sweating.

As a rough gauge to the quality of the Gear4music/Takstar unit. Plug your ipod into the transmitter and plug your earbuds into the receiver. You can walk halfway down your street and you wouldn't know you weren't plugged direct into your ipod.

Bear in mind however that this is only a tool allow yourself to hear vocals/backing and in a live music environment top quality audio is not really a requirement.

The only annoying thing I have found is that the volume buttons are under the battery flap for some bizzare reason. This means you have to open the battery flap in order to increase or decrease the volume. However if its a problem you can simply drill holes in the flap where the buttons are and this will fix it.

Elantric

QuoteThe only annoying thing I have found is that the volume buttons are under the battery flap for some bizzare reason. This means you have to open the battery flap in order to increase or decrease the volume. However if its a problem you can simply drill holes in the flap where the buttons are and this will fix it.

Thanks for the report Colin,

another option is use an inline 3.5mm passive stereo volume cord - like this

http://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo%C2%AE1M-Female-Headphone-Extension-Control/dp/B00DYP98LU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IOPF2HCW9JGI

Elantric

TakStar WPM-200 arrived and ITs not bad for the money ($75). Some background hiss, but that will be masked after the the drummer hits his ride cymbal during start of first song.

This will help me and might convince the rest of the band to do the same.

A simple receiver case mod can expose the Volume Up/Down buttons.

And Gumtown is right  - these Panasonic RP-HJE200  Earbuds sound great for the price too!

gumtown

Yep, My second set just arrived this morning,
I will wave this like a carrot in front of the other 2 band members without IEM's

Edit: I couldn't help myself but open up the transmitter to see what's inside, a bit more than i thought, it has 2 toshiba compander chips and what looks like a limiter in there.
Inside the receiver, it is crammed full of lots of stuff.

Toby Krebs

Quote from:  Elantric on February 26, 2014, 03:08:51 PM
TakStar WPM-200 arrived and ITs not bad for the money ($75). Some background hiss, but that will be masked after the the drummer hits his ride cymbal during start of first song.

This will help me and might convince the rest of the band to do the same.

A simple receiver case mod can expose the Volume Up/Down buttons.

And Gumtown is right  - these Panasonic RP-HJE200  Earbuds sound great for the price too!

Yes and King Crimson drummer Bill Bruford did a lot of great work using no cymbals. I would have liked to have stood next to him and played. After all the work time and money I have put into my little in-ear system the band I work with has changed bass players again going back to a guy who has been with us before. Very good player but he does not use in-ears. I have dusted off my Roland KC300 amp with it's 400 watt Delta Eminence PA driver and upgraded tweeter. It's loud as hell so I went to the store and bought some nice ear plugs until I can get this bass player to get with the program. No way I am getting my ears razored anymore!

BackDAWman

I've ordered my WPM-200. The selectable frequencies was the seller so if the drummer wants to use the WiMi we won't interfere with each other.

Elantric

I'm going to try using a separate inline Headphone amp with my Takstar WDM-200 IEM system - to deliver a bit more "oomph" and power to my cheap earbuds,

These might be perfect additions for Takstar WDM-200 IEM system -
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393812341&sr=1-6

FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier - E11

I splurged a bit and ordered this version below- as it also works as both an inline headphone amp and an SPDIF/USB DAC.  I will wear both Takstar WDM200 UHF receiver and Fiio E17 headphone amp on a belt loop at gigs and use the FiiO E17 just as an analog Headphone booster amp. while it can also serve other purposes too. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070UFMOW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FIIO E17 Alpen USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

http://www.fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/2012/12/20121210151457.pdf

Elantric

I got my FiiO E17 Alpen - all I can say is Wow !

This portable self contained Headphone amp has a self contained 20 hour battery and makes the Takstar WDM-200 receiver rival the audio performance of high dollar IEM systems.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070UFMOW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FIIO E17 Alpen USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

The FIIO E17 Alpen even makes low cost headphones that sound like junk and low SPL "come alive" -  Highly recommend using a separate Headphone amp with Takstar WDM-200, and perhaps in hindsight the lower cost FiiO E11 below might proves to be a better fit for IEM applications as it has a handy rotary volume knob

FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier     

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393812341&sr=1-6

gumtown

Had the first opportunity last night to try my Takstar IEM's at a gig.
Setup a small mixing desk along side the PA desk, used 3 channels,
CH 1: PA FOH feed.
CH 2: Over head mic front centre of stage.
CH 3: GR-55 Right output.
Being a small gig we only used vocals and Kick drum in the mix.

It was really wierd with IEM's in, i could hear everything, but felt a little dispondant and detached from the band.
but on the plus side, since our drummer is VERY LOUD, i wasn't getting the flinching reactions I sometimes get on each beat,
my timing felt better, and was able to concentrate on more articulate points of my playing.
Vocals were strange too, for the firat time i could hear my vocal resonate through my head more than through my ears,
It didn't sound like my own voice i was hearing,
I just had to trust i was doing it right, the other guys said I was in tune, so that's good.

Overall i found the Takstar IEM's a little lacking on top end (or my be it's just my hearing, or the room noise masking the highs),
but the built in compression seemed to work really well, my ears weren't fried with the band playing, and i could hear the conversation in between songs better than without IEM's.
At the end of the night, I could hold a normal conversation without repeatedly asking "what?" and no ringing ears.. Success !!  ;)

Elantric

Thanks for the report on using Takstar WDM200 at your live gig Gumtown.

BackDAWman

I too used my WDM-200s last night for our first gig with all members relying completely on IEMs. I loved the mix I had. Very detailed and easy to play and sing in tune. My daughter found she could stay in tune better in her lower register.
We use a digital desk (Presonus 16.4.2). Unfortunately at the end of our first set it decided that it would lower the level on all the aux busses and the main stereo bus by around 20db rendering it useless. We hurriedly set up a workaround using Behringer 112s and a 1320 wedge to get us through the end of that set and the second. For some reason it decided it would work again, we repatched, and finished the night with all guns blazing.

All in all a good night! Considering the venue were happy enough to pay us despite the failure!

Toby Krebs

Quote from:  gumtown on March 07, 2014, 04:49:24 PM
Had the first opportunity last night to try my Takstar IEM's at a gig.
Setup a small mixing desk along side the PA desk, used 3 channels,
CH 1: PA FOH feed.
CH 2: Over head mic front centre of stage.
CH 3: GR-55 Right output.
Being a small gig we only used vocals and Kick drum in the mix.

It was really wierd with IEM's in, i could hear everything, but felt a little dispondant and detached from the band.
but on the plus side, since our drummer is VERY LOUD, i wasn't getting the flinching reactions I sometimes get on each beat,
my timing felt better, and was able to concentrate on more articulate points of my playing.
Vocals were strange too, for the firat time i could hear my vocal resonate through my head more than through my ears,
It didn't sound like my own voice i was hearing,
I just had to trust i was doing it right, the other guys said I was in tune, so that's good.

Overall i found the Takstar IEM's a little lacking on top end (or my be it's just my hearing, or the room noise masking the highs),
but the built in compression seemed to work really well, my ears weren't fried with the band playing, and i could hear the conversation in between songs better than without IEM's.
At the end of the night, I could hold a normal conversation without repeatedly asking "what?" and no ringing ears.. Success !!  ;)

Yes! No more ringing. Good to know that. It is weird If you have not done a lot of recording. I have done a mountain of studio work so for me it just feels like I am doing a session. Glad you are digging it.

vtgearhead

Taking advice from others on the forums, I bought one of those $75 Takstar wireless monitor systems and a pair of Etymotic Hf5 earphones.  After using them at practice yesterday I'm sold!  When fitted with the compressible foam tips the Hf5s provide incredible isolation.  It sounded so clear that I overdid the level a bit, probably a matter of experience to achieve moderation.

The other folks are getting interested in this approach, so we're now faced with the issue of deriving independent mixes for four players out of perhaps 9-10 inputs (depending on how many mics we place around the kit).  I was initially intrigued by the high-tech systems that use iPads and smart-phones as control surfaces, but they are shockingly expensive and most require a digital snake and FOH console - neither of which we use or plan to use.  The Behringer PowerPlay P16 is the only system I've come across that has the required features and is remotely affordable.  Anyone on the forum have experience with this setup?  Any other suggestions for doing 10x4 (minimum) mixing?

gumtown

I have been using a Behringer 1204FX desk only as my IEM mix, as a sub desk from the main desk (there are never enough pre-fade Aux's).
With one channel off the FOH mix, one channel off a room mic, and one channel from my GR-55 spare output.
Then I would plug the Takstar IEM transmitter into the phones output, and use another power socket
and have to balance the transmitter on something,
so ...I thought.....
...oh well....
BUGGER IT !!   :o
the transmitter is now mounted internally inside the desk, i tapped off a spare (unused for fan?) 12volt power supply within the desk, drilled a hole in the side for the channel selection knob to poke through and another hole in the same side for the antenna (mounted in a nylon grommet) with a wire attaching it to the transmitter.
Then chopped the TRS input lead in half and soldered the tails to the back of the phones socket on the desk circuit board.
This picture below with the built in IEM transmitter,
I brought the desk used for $20 from a local eAuction (a lucky bid, it had been listed under photography, no reserve).
So nothing lost if it failed.

This makes my life easier setting up for a gig,
I have just recently done the same with all my DMX lighting and made all of that wireless DMX too.