Guitar out total signal loss (bass player)

Started by Snowdog, August 23, 2013, 04:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowdog

First time post....from a bit of a technophobe playing catch up!

Having just been persuaded to come out of 'retirement' by a couple of friends I've invested in both a bass rig and a GR55.

I'm having a huge amount of fun with the GR55 but wanted to split my signal so have the synth sound going into a Roland keyboard combo and the signal from the 'guitar out' going straight to my Ashdown rig.

Here's the weird thing. I play an Ibanez SR1200 and it is fitted with an onboard 3 band eq activated by a small switch. (photo should be attached)

When the EQ is in 'bypass' position everything works fine in terms of the two separate signals...when I turn the EQ 'on' the direct signal from the GR55 to my Ashdown is cut off completely. I just can't figure it out at all...it's almost like the GR55 senses the EQ and has decided it doesn't like it  >:(

Apologies if I've missed something obvious but this is really screwing with my head as basically I can't use the onboard EQ for my straight bass sound!  ???

Any solution/clues/explanation welcomed

Cheers

Roy

Elantric

QuoteWhen the EQ is in 'bypass' position everything works fine in terms of the two separate signals...when I turn the EQ 'on' the direct signal from the GR55 to my Ashdown is cut off completely. I just can't figure it out at all...it's almost like the GR55 senses the EQ and has decided it doesn't like it  >:(

I would test each part of the signal flow at the earliest stage to gain confidence.

Try this
1) Verify a fresh battery is in your Bass.

2)  Verify that using a normal Mono 1/4" guitar cord into a normal amp  - you indeed hear the built in EQ toggle on / off - with EQ Bypass switch with no drop in sound in either position.

3) As a test  Next use the same Mono 1/4" guitar cord and connect it between your Bass's normal 1/4" output jack on the 1/4" input on the GK-3B -  - after you get it all working then swap for the Roland  short 1/4" patch cable included with the GK-3B External

3) Be sure you enabled the "Normal PICKUP" signal flow in the GR-55

GR-55 Top Things to Know
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

* How to enable "Normal Guitar Pickups" with GR-55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

gumtown

It does seem like the bass's internal active electronics are not being enabled, follow the checks suggested by Elentric.
It would either be a fault with the auto activation of the internal normal pickup's active EQ by presense of "GK" voltage (try a dummy plug/lead in the regular bass output jack to see if it switches the power),
or the internal 9volt battery is dead, the battery will only last a couple of days when left "on" and forgotten.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Snowdog

Thanks to both of you for the lightning responses

Will give all this a try today!

Cheers

Roy