Zoom MS-70CDR

Started by Elantric, August 09, 2013, 09:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/21862211/
QuoteI've mentioned this in a few threads hereabouts in the last few months, and it's time for general release.

ZoomLib v1.0.1 is now available for Windows and MacOS.

If you have a Zoom effects pedal with a USB port, you can back up your patches, share them online and keep a HUGE repository of them on your computer, swapping them into and out of your pedal at will.

(Yes - even those pedals with USB that Zoom says is for firmware upgrade only – but, see note below.)

At present, the program works with:
MS-70CDR, MS-60B, MS-50G,
G1on, G1Xon,
B1on, B1Xon,
G5, G3, G3X & B3 pedals.

It can:
- back up and restore the entire pedal or individual patches
- rearrange the order of patches on the pedal
- upload/download patchfiles to/from a dedicated forum – zoompatches.com/forum – for sharing
- download patches from similar pedals:
* G3 and G3X patches can be loaded into either pedal;
* G1on, G1Xon, B1on and B1Xon patches can be loaded into any of those pedals

The program includes a built-in basic browser so that online patch files can be up or downloaded directly via a drag and drop interface.

You can download it from the downloads section (or via the General Discussion board) of www.zoompatches.com/forum

The program is free.
That's because ... the world needs this program.
(Also, to be frank, because I'm developing bigger, better things for Zoom pedals: footswitch, expression pedal, tap tempo, midi control and "scene" control co-ordinated in real-time for multiple pedals. The USB interface can be used to control almost any aspect of any of these pedals. ZoomLib gives a tiny taste of what can be done, so I hope it will whet some appetites.)

While ZoomLib is free, if you wish to contribute, the program will tell you how. (Thanks to those who have or will!) The other way you can help is by clicking on the advertisements (which will be kept to a minimum.) At some point, I'll see if I can make these ads a bit more relevant.

Please enjoy ZoomLib.
Please also upload your patches! It's easy: just dragging/dropping within the program. (You do have to register and login to upload, but not to download patches.)

(Here is the "note below" referred to above. This program works with the above-mentioned pedals with current Zoom firmware. Note though that any firmware upgrade by Zoom could break this program. (However, at least then we'd have a firmware upgrade!) I expect it could work with other usb equipped pedals such as the G2.1Nu, B9.1ut, G5n etc, and I am happy to add these – I just need the co-operation of a brave pedal owner.)

Cheers
Dave (drdashdot)

http://www.zoompatches.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=97p9qsmc53e1cab3ngkf30o6s1&board=1.0

Elantric

Elantric

The ToneLib is an application for Win and OSX (Linux and Android)  which allows you to see, change and save all the settings in your Zoom pedal through your computer. Intuitive drag-and-drop interface will allow you to build your Effect Chain and design the sound you need in the easiest way.

As soon as you've reached the sound to your liking, you can save it both on your personal Zoom device and your computer, or even share it with other.

At present, the program works with (latest firmware):
G1on, G1Xon, B1on, B1Xon, MS-50g, MS-60b, MS-70CDR

You can download it from the downloads section www.tonelib.net. The program is free. Enjoy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Denis (tonelib dev)

http://www.tonelib.net/

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/free-editor-for-zoom-pedals-g1on-g1xon-b1on-b1xon-ms-50g-ms-60b-ms-70cdr.1922244/

Mrchevy

Elantric, this is a great find!!! I have 2 MS-50-G's and while there is a load of effects and models in them, not having an editor for them have made them cumbersome to program and mine have basically been dust collectors. I bought them to use with my Tubmeister 18, one for preamp effects and one for the effects loop. Checking this out I also found they have come out with a v3.0 firmware update for this pedal that has added another 72 models and effects for a total of 172 models and effects. (WAHOOO!) Pay attention Roland /Boss.

One thing I will mention that I discovered.... The pedal can only hold so much info and the editor will show all 172 pedals and models in its list. I was trying to load a few of the NEW amp models and when I would click and drag them in the editor, they would not load in. I found that it is necessary to also use it in conjunction with ZOOMs library manager. In the library there is a SELECT/UNSELECT section for the effects and models to load into the pedal. If an effect or model is not selected, it will not load into the editor effects chain. Once I had selected them they loaded fine. The pedal can not hold all 172 in its memory so you must decide which ones you want to use most and unselect the ones you dont. These can be changed out from the list of 172 as you wish or the need arises. Also, loading it to the max may effect it's DSP limits as some effects and models appear to use more memory than others so leaving a little extra memory may help this.

Thanks for posting this find !!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

Tobitill

Hi everyone,

New member here.
First of all a big thanks to all the people developing programs/apps to make our gear more useful.
At the moment I'm enjoying gumtown's KatanaFxFloorboard.

MIDI control of the Zoom MS 70 CDR, MS 50-G etc:

If you have an Android device, an app like " MIDI commander" can be used to change presets.
Any app capble of sending program changes should work, actually.
A USB-OTG cable is usually needed for your tablet/phone to act as a host for the Zoom pedal.

Unfortunately both my MS 70 CDR and my MS 50-G emit a high frequency whine,
even when powered by the original power supply (500 mA ) with no other pedals whatsoever  in the signal chain
or any other power supplies connected to the outlet. Even buffers before and/or after the Zoom pedals made no difference.
Has anyone encountered the same issue and managed to resolve it?
If so, how?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day, everyone.
Cheers,
Tobias

admin

Quote from: Tobitill on December 28, 2018, 05:20:38 AM
Hi everyone,

New member here.
First of all a big thanks to all the people developing programs/apps to make our gear more useful.
At the moment I'm enjoying gumtown's KatanaFxFloorboard.

MIDI control of the Zoom MS 70 CDR, MS 50-G etc:

If you have an Android device, an app like " MIDI commander" can be used to change presets.
Any app capble of sending program changes should work, actually.
A USB-OTG cable is usually needed for your tablet/phone to act as a host for the Zoom pedal.

even when powered by the original power supply (500 mA ) with no other pedals whatsoever  in the signal chain
or any other power supplies connected to the outlet. Even buffers before and/or after the Zoom pedals made no difference.
If so, how?

Have a nice day, everyone.
Cheers,
Tobias

Many patches on these Zoom pedals are multiple effects enabled on the same patch.
if there is a overdrive and a compressor active at the same time , yes you will get some high-end hissing noise

this will be reduced if you edit the patch for only one effect on at the same time.

typically modulation effects and delay effects will be lower noise

I ran into high noise with my first examples fresh out of the box with these pedals as many of the factory presets have multiple effects enabled per patch

it was nothing more than a noise generator for me on my pedal board until I discovered that I had to go in and edit the patches disable many of the active effects,  as I use these mostly for modulation and delay

Brent Flash

Quote from: Tobitill on December 28, 2018, 05:20:38 AM
If so, how?
Does it still have the hight frequency whine when you run them off battery power?

Tobitill

Quote from: Brent Flash on December 28, 2018, 10:10:56 AM
Does it still have the hight frequency whine when you run them off battery power?

Hi Brent,
Yes, unfortunately running them on batteries does not solve the problem.

Hi admin (are you Elantric?),

I don't use the factory patches. Even with just 1 effect in a patch the high pitched noise is present.
When I strum a chord, the whine disappears after about 1-2 seconds as the chord rings out.
I use the ZNR effect at the beginning of the chain inside the Zoom - effects, but that doesn't solve the problem.

It's a pity, I run the 2 Zoom effects in parallel for maximum flexibility and the resulting options are great.
But the whine is just too much.

Since running on batteries or using a dedicated power supply don't do the trick,
I guess an isolated power supply won't be the solution?
Batteries isolate the pedals from the rest quite well.

Cheers,
Tobias

Brent Flash

Quote from: Tobitill on December 28, 2018, 10:32:09 AM
Hi Brent,
Yes, unfortunately running them on batteries does not solve the problem.

Cheers,
Tobias
If that is the case I would try some of the things Steve suggested!

Tobitill

He Brent,

I tried only using one effect at a time in the Zooms,
still whiny (I edited my post accordingly).

Cheers,
Tobias

admin

QuoteHi admin (are you Elantric?),

Yes - I'm typically working from an android phone 90% of the time, and often just log in as ADMIN  -

but I'm one person (Admin, Elantric, )
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

Back to the  Zoom MS-70CDR - run it off the internal batteries is as good as it gets for low noise

Tobitill

Thanks,
Elantric and Brent.

(I saw your (Elantric's) posts on TGP and thought I'd check this forum out for all the advice concerning MIDI control,
gumtown's Katana FX Floorboard, etc. Thanks again to the developers!)

So then it looks like I might have to buy 2 new Multi-effects units (parallel routing: one unit putting out sound while I change presets on the other,
so I have spillover for soundscapes).
I'll do some more testing, but I'm afraid 2 Hx Stomps might be in order (if I can control those via MIDI with an Android tablet; I'll see).
Ooooof...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Have a nice day,
cheers,
Tobias

admin

Quote from: Tobitill on December 28, 2018, 12:38:55 PM
Thanks,
Elantric and Brent.

(I saw your (Elantric's) posts on TGP and thought I'd check this forum out for all the advice concerning MIDI control,
gumtown's Katana FX Floorboard, etc. Thanks again to the developers!)

So then it looks like I might have to buy 2 new Multi-effects units (parallel routing: one unit putting out sound while I change presets on the other,
so I have spillover for soundscapes).
I'll do some more testing, but I'm afraid 2 Hx Stomps might be in order (if I can control those via MIDI with an Android tablet; I'll see).
Ooooof...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Have a nice day,
cheers,
Tobias

Look at Meris Polymoon, Chase Bliss Effects, and Strymon, and Eventide H9 Max, and Boss RV-500, DD-500

Many support external MIDI control
  https://www.meris.us/product/midi-i-o/

Tobitill

Quote from: admin on December 28, 2018, 01:16:11 PM
Look at Meris Polymoon, Chase Bliss Effects, and Strymon, and Eventide H9 Max, and Boss RV-500, DD-500

Many support external MIDI control
  https://www.meris.us/product/midi-i-o/

Thanks for the suggestions, Elantric.
I need 2 multi-effects in parallel (I used to use 3 in parallel),
with the ability to switch presets / control parameters via MIDI using an android tablet.
I contemplated the Strymon stuff etc, but I do some weird stuff that can only be achieved a certain way.

I have to see whether a Line 6 Helix floor or LT will suffice (the routing possibilities are sufficient, no spillover is the problem there).
It's a pity, because I love the small footprint and ridiculous flexibility of my setup now.

Cheers,
Tobias

admin

Tobitill

sixeight

Maybe a bit much, but it does control the ms70cdr...

I will have a cheaper option soon with the VC-mini...

Elantric

The zoom hack (CDR effects and others on g1on ,g1xon...)

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-zoom-hack-cdr-effects-and-others-on-g1on-g1xon.2081936/page-2

AM
WhiskeyTango
Contact
WhiskeyTango
Ok, I can confirm the CDR works with amp sims. I didn't try every one, but loaded several I've used on the G5x and am at least a bit familiar with. I could cycle through them all, change cabs, etc.

I setup a preset: MS '59>OptoComp>HD Reverb>ZNR Gate. It works fine, but if I start scrolling through effects, I get DSP Full errors on a few, but not all, effects. I guess it's pushing the limits for this little guy. All in all, still not bad since it has more features/potential than it had yesterday.

One thing I noticed is that the web-based MS Zoom Utility thing (3rd party, not official) I use to build presets isn't completely happy with the new firmware. I can put effects where they need to be, but can't put the amps in in a slot. Further, once I have a preset created (add amp through pedal interface and save it), I can't load the pedal in this app anymore. It freezes once it gets to the presets with amps. I'll have to mess around with it some more, but still not a bad deal IMO. It's not like I rebuild presets via PC often, and I can always do most of the work there, and then finish up from the pedal's UI.

The CDR continues to be the best bang-for-buck pedal I've ever bought! :cool:

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on September 28, 2019, 09:36:09 AM

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-zoom-hack-cdr-effects-and-others-on-g1on-g1xon.2081936/page-2

AM
WhiskeyTango
Contact
WhiskeyTango
Ok, I can confirm the CDR works with amp sims. I didn't try every one, but loaded several I've used on the G5x and am at least a bit familiar with. I could cycle through them all, change cabs, etc.

I setup a preset: MS '59>OptoComp>HD Reverb>ZNR Gate. It works fine, but if I start scrolling through effects, I get DSP Full errors on a few, but not all, effects. I guess it's pushing the limits for this little guy. All in all, still not bad since it has more features/potential than it had yesterday.

One thing I noticed is that the web-based MS Zoom Utility thing (3rd party, not official) I use to build presets isn't completely happy with the new firmware. I can put effects where they need to be, but can't put the amps in in a slot. Further, once I have a preset created (add amp through pedal interface and save it), I can't load the pedal in this app anymore. It freezes once it gets to the presets with amps. I'll have to mess around with it some more, but still not a bad deal IMO. It's not like I rebuild presets via PC often, and I can always do most of the work there, and then finish up from the pedal's UI.

Do you know if there's a hack app for Mac ?
I've looked but can't find any?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on September 28, 2019, 09:36:09 AM

AM
WhiskeyTango
Contact
WhiskeyTango

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 20, 2019, 02:59:04 AM
Do you know if there's a hack app for Mac ?
I've looked but can't find any?

Does anyone know how the ms-70 handles stereo if amp sim is added ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch