Atomic CLR / CLR NEO

Started by ianridge, April 26, 2013, 11:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianridge

I'm keen to get a active FRFR speaker for my Godin LGXT and GR55.

I've tried the QSC K12 and am trying to find somewhere to try the EV ELX 112p. However I've also recently seen a lot of buzz about the Atomic CLR with excellent reviews.

Has anyone a) actually received their CLR (long waiting lists I understand) and b) any thoughts about how good it is with the GR55?

http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/

whippinpost91850

Yes long lists, I'm on the waiting list and plan on using it with my KPA and Gr55. As an alternative you may want to try the Mackie DLM12. 1000w/ coax 12 ansd low latency in the procesor. I thought it sounded very good , but wanted try CLR  befor my final decision. Mackie also currently has a rebate going on. Good luck Paul

Elantric

http://atomicamps.com/clr-reference-frfr-monitors/

DESIGNED FOR MODELERS
Today's top guitar amp modelers and profilers; like the Amplifire, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx, Kemper Profiler, Line 6 HD Series and others can recreate the tones of the greatest amplifiers and effects of all time with uncanny precision. In order to get the most out of these for live use, they require highly accurate playback systems, or FRFR – Full Range Flat Response. The Atomic CLR sets the standard for Full Range Flat Response monitors and delivers the most lifelike and realistic tones possible.

UNPARALLELED DEFINITION
CLR stands for Coincident Linear Reference. Here are some reasons why they are the single best solution in their range for amplifying your modeler / profiler:

The CLR is the only system in its market segment that delivers a true coaxial system that is also coincident – this is a key differentiator. The term "coincident" denotes a multi-way (two-way in this case) loudspeaker that functions as a single, well-behaved source of sound at all frequencies. The crossover transition is undetectable via listening OR measurement and its response at positions within the speaker's radiation pattern is essentially the same as the response on-axis. This type of behavior is not possible in other 2-way systems.
The CLR delivers an incredibly precise and flat on axis amplitude response from 70 Hz to 18 kHz (+/- 2.5dB) making it flatter than many highly regarded studio monitors. It also has a more accurate response from 40 Hz – 20 Hz than most systems in its range. Although many brands claim to offer flat response, the CLR delivers a higher level of accuracy, not "hyping" specific frequencies for effect.
The CLR's unusual but highly effective midrange horn design creates a well-controlled radiation pattern of 90 degrees vertical by 90 degrees horizontal. This control extends a full two octaves BELOW the crossover frequency. This consistency of pattern is impossible to achieve in designs that use a direct-radiating woofer with a high frequency horn. Because of its broad but well-controlled directivity, the CLR will sound as good in challenging acoustic environments – e.g., a pub with highly reflective surfaces, a cathedral, an armory – as it does in a well-damped showroom. This single property places it head and shoulders above every other competitive alternative.
The CLR crossover filter topology is designed to preserve the integrity of transient signals. This attribute, in concert with controlled directivity and flat amplitude response, results in vivid clarity and articulation under the widest possible range of acoustic conditions. Other systems – including many coaxial configurations – fail to deliver in this area.While the CLR Series was designed with full range guitar amplification in mind, these products are also ideal for a broad range of other musical instruments and applications, including acoustic guitar, guitar synth, keyboards, backing tracks vocals, or as part of a PA system.
AMAZING LIVE TONES!
The CLR NEO MK II is incredibly flexible and can be used as an angled wedge, pointing the sound to you; or as a standard backline cabinet pointing to the crowd; or floated on a pole – it's up to you!

The CLR NEO MK II employs a highly efficient speaker system with a 12-ply marine grade, plywood cabinet, a 12″ speaker, a 1″ high frequency compression driver and a wide dispersion midrange and high frequency horn. The enclosure is finished in heavy-duty, road rugged, textured paint and have sonically transparent metal grills.

jwhitcomb3

Just curious what the CLR offers that a powered PA speaker, such as the Mackie SRM450, does not.

thebrushwithin

I have really enjoyed using Mackie SRM450's, they sound great! The JBL EON series is also very nice.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on July 02, 2013, 06:33:25 AM
Just curious what the CLR offers that a powered PA speaker, such as the Mackie SRM450, does not.
It's susposed to be the time aligned coax speaker design, that makes the sound. Anyhow mine will be shipped tommorrow and plan on A/B ing it with the Mackie DLM12 and the Yamaha DXR10. I'm going to be using it with my KPA and my GR55, and if it lives up to the word on some of the forums it should be a great sound. I'll report back next week after my tests. It's been a long wait and hope it was worth it. ???

Elantric

whippinpost91850

Steve, are they shipping the alto's yet?? The RCF probably sounds awesome, but the CLR is at the very top of my ability to pay. Confirmed the CLR shipped today, but with the holiday probably won't get it till Tues/Wed

Elantric

alto Pro Audio SXM112a  $299 have been around a couple years already - but out of stock most places.

The Kemper forums is filled with reviews by SXM112a owners.
Scott peterson compared the alto SXM112a to the RCF here - he likes  the RCF best - but hey even I grimace at spending $1700 on an RCF  floor monitor.

There is rumor an updated version of the altoProAudio SXM112a  will be released in Nashville in two weeks at Summer NAMM   

whippinpost91850

I somehow missed this on the KPA forum, but have heard mention of a new one comming out. Interesting!

paults

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on July 02, 2013, 04:33:40 PM
It's susposed to be the time aligned coax speaker design, that makes the sound. Anyhow mine will be shipped tommorrow and plan on A/B ing it with the Mackie DLM12 and the Yamaha DXR10. I'm going to be using it with my KPA and my GR55, and if it lives up to the word on some of the forums it should be a great sound. I'll report back next week after my tests. It's been a long wait and hope it was worth it. ???

I'll be interested to hear your take on the differences in sound.     

paults

Quote from: Elantric on April 26, 2013, 01:50:04 PM
A pair of EV ELX 112p are working well for me!

Have you compared them to the Yamaha DXR10 or 12?

Have you compared the ELX to the ZLX line?

whippinpost91850

Quote from: paults on July 06, 2013, 09:06:03 PM
I'll be interested to hear your take on the differences in sound.   
Yeah! me too.Paul , I'll report my findings both here and the KPA forum site. I'll get it tommorrow ,but will be tuesday befor I can even plug it in. Paul

Toby Krebs

Just played 2 long outdoor gigs with my Alto 10s. They work great and took high volume and 108 degree heat for hours with not even a hiccup! If you have a  good PA system and don't need them to be super high detailed they are great. I use the 10s because I can lift them over my head with either arm without straining.

whippinpost91850

Well after about 10 days of working stupid hours, I finally have the time to post my findings on these fine cabinets. I also poted this on the KPA forum site.

I've never tried adding pictures so I hope this works. Obviously I'm an idiot and cannot figure out how to reduce the size of the photos to work here so! I wish I could have recorded a video of my little shoot out like Ingolf did (on Utube and the KPA site), but alas no video camera.

I eliminated the Mackie coax 12 pretty much right off,as compared to the CLR and the DXR10 it did'nt cut it. It sounded OK but not as good as the other two.If size and weight are a factor It is still a contender

I used a little a/b box as well and did a few backup loops with my GR55. I used both set up as a monitor and dsp off on DXR

First off playing music from IPhone the CLR won hands down. just seemed more natural like my studio monitors. Playing loops with the GR I noticed a slight lack of clarity in the DXR with an accentuated mid.

Initially I played a strat ( out of phase p-up tone ) through a super reverb rig I thought the DXR sounded a little better then the CLR , but after playing through the CLR I noticed when I went back to the DXR it sounded a little thin (not bad ,just different) Now don't hit me ,a little like a strat through a Rockman, with the out-of-phase tone accentuated. Which in some ways I liked alot.

Mid gain sounds I noticed a pronounced mid range honk, which might work good to cut through on on stage. With heavier distortion Boogies, Diezels, Marshall they both sounded very good, but the tones started to sounded much more simular on the DXR, then the CLR. With the CLR the tonal differences in rigs seemed to have more clarity and definition.

My bottom line, and mind you just my opinion, the CLR is the winner. Not that the DXR wouldn't be completely usable and I'm sure would sound great on stage, I just thought the CLR was better. Also at stage volume the DXR didn't seem to be able to handle low and full synth sounds of my GR55 nearly as well. I don't play one but guess the DXR10 might have the same problem with a 7 string.
As far as the foot print I didn't find there to be that significant a difference, but appreciated the DXR being lighter. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Paul

PS: I watched Ingolf's video's and our conclusions seem to be pretty close

whippinpost91850

This was my comparison shootout with the Atomic CLR, the Yamaha DXR10, and the Mackie DLM12

Elantric

Where was the Yamaha DXR10's "Contour" switch set at?

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on July 31, 2013, 06:02:23 PM
Where was the Yamaha DXR10's "Contour" switch set at?

I tried it off and as a monitor. As I said I didn't dislike the DXR10, I just liked the CLR better and more natural sounding. And out of all the things I've tried the DXR would certainly be my second choice. Infact in some ways for real clean sounds I liked it better, Like I said it seemed to accentuate the Strat out-of-phase sound.

Elantric

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 13, 2018, 03:20:36 PM
Same here I'm 67.   My CLR NEO is about 32lbs.   So must be something besides weight

We do know the CLR NEO Mk II is built in Asia, and Jay Mitchell explained the difference at TGP 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/clr-neo-mkii-for-999.1768739/#post-23058067
QuoteYes. It's the original design with some developmental improvements that enable it to run (a lot) cooler and get (a little) louder.

admin

vtgearhead

Indeed.  One of them found its way into my practice room :-).  Nicest sounding FRFR monitor I've ever heard.  Wouldn't mind having a pair for music listening, but no budget for that luxury.

whippinpost91850

Same here. I've had mine for over 4 years thinking about trying to get another

admin

thibderob
Published on Apr 15, 2018
I wanted to compare all the FRFR solutions I have to amplify my modelers : Atomic CLR, Redsound RS-LG12A... but also a Boss Katana Artist, which I use mainly for an acoustic guitar, but which is also used by some modeler users.
I used the same presets (one clean, one high gain rhythm) from an AX8, and an Ibanez guitar with Bare Knuckle pickups.

Disclaimer : I used a camcorder to record this, with its microphones pointing just between the CLR and the Redsound, and the recording is much more brighter than what I actually heard. The camcorder was 1 meter from the speakers, which is probably way too close. A reference microphone would have been much better but I don't have one. So it's not a scientific comparison - however, it illustrates the sound differences between the three contenders quite well here.

Technically speaking, only the Atomic CLR is a true FRFR monitor, as it's the only one which is flat. In fact, I use a pair of those for all my home studio monitoring works, the CLR is that good. Unsurprisingly, it was the most transparent of the three monitoring solutions here - the only one transparent, to be fair.

The Redsound is made for modelers, but with less high end. Its speaker has an extended range compared to a standard guitar speaker, but not up to 20 khz. It's interesting if you want a rounder, warmer tone, with less piercing highs - not exactly like like using a "real amp in the room", but closer. It's also lighter, around 6 kg less than the Atomic CLR (non-Neo version). I found that I prefer to boost the high end with the AX8 global equalizer, but not much, for acoustic simulation tones (not demoed here).

The Boss Katana Artist, of course, is not a FRFR amp, but many modeler users have had good results with it using the acoustic model, which I did, with a graphic EQ block too. It's much less transparent than the other two, but it has the most guitar amp like punch, and having a amp tonestack (B/M/T) to tweak on the fly is a good thing. I wouldn't have any problem gigging with it.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28316618/
Atomic CLR / CLR NEO

The channel volume boosts the signal coming IN to the unit.
When the LED for the input lights red you are overloading the input.
Back off on that channels input volume until that light goes away.
The master is the overall OUTPUT volume.
In my opinion you'll enjoy the tone a LOT more if you put the
CLR on the floor in the wedge position.
On the rear of the unit you'll see the PRESET switch.
Set it to TILT for the wedge position.
"FF" = Free Field – for when the cabinets are elevated off the floor like on a chair, pole mount or stand, "Tilt" – for when the cabinet is set up in the wedge position on the floor and
"BL" – for when the cabinet is set up like a traditional guitar setup on the floor.
Here's a link to the manual:

https://atomicamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Atomic-CLR-Manual.pdf