FC300 - VG99 : strange hevaviour

Started by cptbuzz, November 27, 2012, 05:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptbuzz

Has anybody encounteres the following situation ?

I just picked up a VG99 with a FC300 from Ebay. Everything in perfect condition. However, the FC300 does not automatically switch into Sysex Mode, when I connect the RRC2 cable. The VG-99 is set to Sysex Mode.

I can manually change the mode of course, and the VG99 will switch accordingly, but will not display the preset name. The FC300 has V1.02 on it. I did  resets and updated the firmware. No change.

I checked with the FC300 of a friend of mine, which works. i swapped the cables, no change.

The Fc300 of my friend automatically switches to Sysex Mode and displays "VG99" and the Preset name. Mine just starts "Hello !" and displays "Roland FC-300". I could not find a difference in the settings of both FC300.

I couldn't find anything about such a case in the net.

Anybody an idea ?

Thank you in advance ....

Bert

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group cptbuzz!  :)

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is a function that allows you to skip modes when switching through them. In the SYSTEM parameters you will find;
SYS:MODE Pdl Seq
<STD-CC-SYX-PAT>
If any of the settings are in lower case;

SYS:MODE Pdl Seq
<STD-CC-syx-PAT>

the FC will skip them. This is a long shot but the only thing I can think of besides a defective unit.

cptbuzz

Thank you for your response, Brent !

I have compared that setting also with the other FC. The other one (which worked) hat the -pat in small letters. I tried that setting, too.

However w/o success.

Strange ...

Maybe it is really defective.

Any other thoughts, like the installation of the older firmware etc ?

Regards

bert

Brent Flash

My units have the latest software available and work fine.

Do you have batteries in it? If so take them out.

Does it come on when you turn the VG on and go off when you turn it off?

Is your DEVICE ID set to 1 on both VG and FC?

Is the MIDI channel on both the same?

These are just things to check before going into repair mode like checking the RRC2 connector. The next thing to do is check the RRC2 connector and cable on both units.

Does your friends FC work with both your and his VG? If so the problem is probably your FC's RRC2 connector.

Let us know if you figure it out.

cptbuzz

Thank you Brent,

I guess I checked all of that.

>>> Do you have batteries in it? If so take them out.
Yes I tried that.

>>>Does it come on when you turn the VG on and go off when you turn it off?
Yes it does, it says "Hello !" and displays "Roland FC300".

>>>Is your DEVICE ID set to 1 on both VG and FC?
Yes, it is, on both.

>>>Is the MIDI channel on both the same?
Yes, Channel 1 on both.

>>>Does your friends FC work with both your and his VG? If so the problem is probably your FC's RRC2 connector.
My friend's FC works fine and dandy on his VG and on mine. I checked it on my VG using his cable (the original Neutrik) . Then used my cable
and it worked , too. Then I used his cable and my FC, and it didnt work. So, I guess its not the cable, it must be s.th. on the FC.

However, it is interesting, that, when I switch to SYSEX Mode manually, that the VG follows. It simply does not change the display. It does not display "VG99" and the "Preset Name" in the second line.

hmm, if the connector would be broke, would it work that way or is one cable in the RRC2 connector dedicated to the transmission of the Display Information ? Is there a routine to check the display ? When I check the Firmware status, it displays "01.FC-300 V1.02" in the first line and "SUM:1EEF" in the second line. Accordingly, the hardware seems to be ok.

Any other thoughts ?

I appreciate your professional help !

Regards Bert

Brent Flash

I guess I know the answer but thought I would ask anyway. Is your VG-99 setting for FC-300 SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE MODE set to ON?

cptbuzz

Yes, in the "System" setup of my VG99 - "FC300" - The first setting is switched to Sysex Mode "On" (the switch is set to the right)

Otherwise my friends FC wouldn't have booted the way it did (the proper way), right ?

It must be s.th. with my FC hardware I guess  (I installed the most current firmware to be on the safe side already)

I'll contact ROLAND here in Germany, but I am very sure, that the board is damaged :-(

I appreciate your ideas.

best regards

bert

vanceg

cptbuzz

Yes I tried that, w/o significant success.

Question: Is there a secret selfcheck bootup routine that could check check the rrc2 connection with the VG99 ?

Best regards and a happy new year to everybody !

cptbuzz

I forgot to post the solution of the problem:
The inbuilt connector RRC2 plug was defective, two of the eight pins didnt have contact ... :-)

Brent Flash

Quote from: cptbuzz on November 16, 2014, 10:49:18 AM
I forgot to post the solution of the problem:
The inbuilt connector RRC2 plug was defective, two of the eight pins didnt have contact ... :-)
Was it the FC's RRC2 connector?

Elantric

If you have issues with the FC300's RRC2 cable, be sure to read threads below:

Roland Doc on replacing the RRC2 EtherCon Connector
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.msg7087#msg7087

and read this doc for any other FC300 problems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=30.0;attach=236

cptbuzz

Hello Brent,

yes it was the connector itself. I could see that two or three pins on the connector were stuck and didn't give contact to the cable. That explains why swapping the cables didn't solve the problem. It was actually a hardware problem. Minor actually, but causing a major bug. :-)

Best regards

Bertram