GT-10 - Use Boss GT-10 as a MIDI controller?

Started by Mrchevy, July 02, 2012, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

Hey guys, been working on a patch and trying to deal with the limits of the GR-55. Can I use the CTL pedal from the GT-10 to change a TONE in the GR_55 via MIDI. My GR CTL is being used for Hold in this patch, the EXP pedal is already controlling 3 assigns, and I want to change a tone in PCM 1 in the middle of a song. OR ( light bulb going on) can the CTL be set so it continues to hold if I switch to a different patch exactly the same except for the different TONE in PCM 1. All suggestions or ideas appreciated.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

gumtown

You should be able to do it, the default settings for the GT-10 CTL 1 pedal is to send cc#80, and CTL 2 pedal is to send cc#81.
A midi cable from the GT-10 midi-out to the GR-55 midi in will be required.
If you don't want the GT-10 patch/program changes to change the GR-55, set the GT-10 "PC Out" to "off".
The GT-10 EXP pedal and EXP pedal sw will also control the same on the GR-55, so set the GT-10 midi cc# setting to "off".

In the GR-55 use an assign with the source set to continuous controller (cc#), either cc#80 (for GT-10 CTL1) or cc#81 (for GT-10 CTL 2).
The source will also need to be set to "toggle" as the GT-10 CTL pedals midi actions are momentary (regardless of the GT-10 pedal functions and assigns), pedal down sends an 'on' message, pedal released sends an 'off' midi message.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

Thanks Gummy, I will try that and report back. I was looking through the GT and GR editors at the midi settings trying to figure it out but alas, I'm a little green behind the ears when it comes to midi.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

MUCHO KUDO'S Gummy, you have done it again! Works perfectly. If you recall my thread on "using the GT10 and GR55 together" at the Boss GT Central Forum, my goal was to have a GTR 1055 or GRT 5510. Using the GT10 for additional control on the GR55 makes the GR55 what it should be, a total package. All the additional controls and effects that would have made the GR55 truly the ultimate guitar MFX. Having your FloorBoard editors makes it even better. Will be sending more beer money soon. Thanks again, you are one of the greatest assets to Boss, Roland, and this forum!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

marco_AMMT

Quote from: Mrchevy on May 01, 2016, 07:21:32 PM

2. A controller, whether it is a dedicated controller (FCB1010, FC300, etc,) or a MFX pedal like the Boss GT series or Line 6 HD series, or any higher end MFX pedal with control features, will likely give you all the additional controls you need for the GR55.

3. The differences..... a controller will ONLY give you additional controls for the GR55. More than you would likely ever need. A MFX pedal like the GT or HD, will give you most all the additional controls you would likely need PLUS, all the more advanced guitar effects, amp models, modulation effects, signal routing to use with, or to add to, the GR55 features that are missing or limited. You will also still have 2 expression pedals to work with.

Without knowing exactly what you want to do with your music, its hard to pinpoint what to recommend but based on what you have asked, I would suggest the GT100 MFX pedal. This is a personal preference for a MFX pedal. I did not like the line 6 HD500. The GT10( I have had this one also), is a good pedal but is a little more difficult to learn than the next generation GT100, which has been refined with a much easier to understand user interface and improved models and effects. I do not have personal experience with the GT series prior to the GT10, but they all had similar features. If you can afford the GT100, that would be my suggestion, if it is out of your price range, then I would look at the GT10 as a second option but will be a bit of a learning curve. Either way, i think a MFX pedal with control features would be a more beneficial compliment to the GR55 than a dedicated controller.

Hi Mrchevy,

I know this is an old topic but I hope you can help me out with the following matter: I'm currently using my Boss GT10 as the midi controller (and interface) for a guitar softwar on my Mac. I'm using the USB connection in order to command the software via midi and it works pretty well for some of my needs. Nonetheless, I'm struggling to figure out how to have the 4 "patch" pedals of the GT10 (1.2.3.4.) give commands via different channels.

As of know, i was only able to set different channels to CTL pedals 1 and 2 + the EXT CTL pedals 3 but I'm unable to use the other 4 pedals, which is shame!

I wish i could use the 4 pedals as well for tweaking other stuff on the guitar software I'm using (BIAS Fx BTW) as that would definitely suite all of my needs in terms of usage for live sets.

So... do you think it's possible to assign different channels to pedals 1-4 of Boss GT10 to work with MIDI via the USB connection?

Thank you in advance!

admin

QuoteI'm struggling to figure out how to have the 4 "patch" pedals of the GT10 (1.2.3.4.) give commands via different channels.

not possible AFAIK
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=279.0

The GT-10 can send the following MIDI messages
The 4 patch pedals and 2 bank pedals will give you patch change of up to 400 patches.
The EXP pedal, EXP pedal switch, CTL1 and CTL2 pedals are cc# programmable = send separate MIDI CC# messages per pedal
The external EXP pedal or 2 x footswitch (CTL2 CTL4) are also cc# programmable.
It also has a AMP CTL output jack used as an assignable on/off jack switch.

Even if you don't use any of the GT-10 patches/audio, using the GT-10's large bright LCD display you could rename it's patches to match the names of those in the other gear

marco_AMMT

admin

I wish i could use the 4 pedals as well for tweaking other stuff on the guitar software I'm using (BIAS Fx BTW) as that would definitely suite all of my needs in terms of usage for live sets.

Since BIAS FX are mappable to be remote controlled by MIDI CC# messages  - it possible to use GT-10 as a MIDi controller using MIDi CC# messages (all get sent on the same MIDi channel as your BIAS FX )

On GT-10 - The EXP pedal, EXP pedal switch, CTL1 and CTL2 pedals are cc# programmable = send separate MIDI CC# messages per pedal
The external EXP pedal or 2 x footswitch (CTL2 CTL4) are also cc# programmable.

further reading

How to Setup MIDI Controllers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

MIDI Tutorials
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

marco_AMMT

Quote from:  admsustainiac on October 04, 2016, 07:20:23 AM
not possible AFAIK
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=279.0

The 4 patch pedals and 2 bank pedals will give you patch change of up to 400 patches.

It also has a AMP CTL output jack used as an assignable on/off jack switch.

admsustainiac, can you explain what can i usethe AMP CTL output jack for (related to my midi commands necessities)?

Also, i'm able to use the 2 bank pedals for patch change but, whatever i set them to, they will only give the "patch number increase" command meaning that the BIAS FX only changes the patch down. No way to change the patch up, select a specific patch number, or change the bank.

The other thing is that i'm totally unable to change the patches in BIAS FX via pedals 1-4... am i doing something wrong?

BTW: CTL1 & 2 + ext CTL 3 & 4 + exp pedal & exp switch work perfectly as midi controllers for BIAS FX!

Thanks!

Elantric

Quoteadmsustainiac, can you explain what can i use the AMP CTL output jack for (related to my midi commands necessities)?

THE RELAY AMP CONTROL jacks are no use in BIAS FX Desktop - but might aid for other uses - similar functionality exists in FCB-1010

further GT-10 as MIDI controller info

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/boss-gt10-as-midi-controller.23279/

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10423