Fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster question

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litesnsirens

Ya the 13 pin on the G5 would have gotten my money but I went with the GC-1, perfect partner for the GR-55. That said, I would have been buying the mythical 13 pin G5 "just cuz".  The extra money I guess would have just been to maybe be able to do 12 string alt tunings but to be honest although it would be nice, it's not essential.  I've gotten by for 40 years without a 12 string at al,l never mind all these alt tunings that I have at my disposal now, and stepping on a FS and getting acoustic sounds etc. etc. etc..  When I think about what these things can't do I just re-focus on the fact that this is all really a luxury.  And speaking of luxuries, as stated in another thread I'm thinking about following datsunrobbie's lead and selling of my JTV69 and my HD500.  I just find the GR-55/GC-1 duo much more fun to use and I'm actually getting better tones and doing it with more ease.  If the HD500 had the EQ that the GR-55 has there would be a lot of happy HD users in Line 6 land.

datsunrobbie

I actually traded my Mexican RR Strat for a Roland TD3 drum kit and sold my VGA-5, and VG-88 this week. All ended up with the same guy. Passed on the forum address to the buyer, so he may be lurking already. That still leaves me with plenty of GK gear. If you're a Strat player, I'd recommend finding one that you are really comfortable with and install the GK kit. I did the install myself on an American Standard Strat that has been my "go-to" guitar for over 15 years. It is important to find the right Strat for the install because there can be so much variation. I like that Strats lend themselves to tinkering. In addition to the internal GK mine has Sperzel locking tuners and a Graphtech nut and saddles. It used to have a Fishman Powerbridge, now has the stock bridge (changed saddles), and will probably get a Bladerunner when my budget allows. Aside from the GK it is all reversible, and there are so many aftermarket goodies to choose from :)

marcelcarvalho

All the GC-1 are MIM or is there an USA version? And what about the G5, all of them are MIM also?

Elantric

QuoteAll the GC-1 are MIM or is there an USA version? And what about the G5, all of them are MIM also?

At NAMM I played both  - and confirmed both are built in Mexico

There are no USA versions of these. (EDIT in 2014 Roland released a US version of the Roland G5A ("A" for America) for $1999)
http://www.rolandus.com/products/g-5a/

Its not a big deal to me - I actually like most Mexican Strats

The build quality and the new 22 fret Neck on these models are superior to most Mexican strats

But the stock Mexican Strat Bridge with 6 fulcrum screws gives it away that these are mexican strats.

Only the Tuners are USA 

QuoteConfirmed both G5 VG Strat and GC-1 Strat Controller are made in Mexico.

They do use USA Tuners - but "Made in Mexico" is on a decal on the back of each headstock and they all have serial numbers which start "MXxxxxxxxx" - typical for MIM Strats.

But do the math  - its a $450 guitar
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0144600

with an internal GK kit they try to sell for $899, or $1299 for the G-5

But I feel both these guitars will require upgrades - Staggered height locking tuners, BladeRunner Bridge, Graphtech Nut.

Myself - I found a used Roland Ready Strat for $375 and then

upgraded the Neck $124
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar_necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Strat_Guitar.html

added Staggered height locking tuners from GFS $34
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Now-STAGGERED-Gotoh-style-Locking-Tuners-Sperzel-Style-String-Lock-_p_514.html

Added SuperVee  BladeRunner 6 screw Bridge $150
https://super-vee.com/order.php

And Graphtech TUSQ Nut. $12
http://www.amazon.com/Graphtech-Slotted-Strat-Style-PQ-5000-00/dp/B00126E3Z4

Currently adding  a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups ($99 during an Amazon sale)
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Stratocaster-Pickups/dp/B0002E3D44/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1341594138&sr=1-1&keywords=Fender+Vintage+Noiseless+pickups

And the total build cost was $795 for a guitar which most players will find superior to the GC-1

marcelcarvalho

Thanx for answering guys. One more question: Is the internal hexaphonic pickup GK-2A or GK-3?

Elantric

Internal pickup seems to me to be the old Roland Ready Strat GK pickup - same White PU cover, and same old GK-2A PU. (no radius adjust yoke like the External GK-3)

We have documented that tracking and Guitar to MIDI can be improved if modify the white cover to expose the internal GK PU steel pole pieces - to get them closer to the strings.

Although latest GC-1 uses a paper thin white cover
QuoteI wondered a lot about differences between GK-2, GK-3 and the white factory GK pickup.  I have all three types.
   So I took white one apart, used my digital calipers, etc....
    Yes there is plastic thickness between the PU six magnet pole pieces !!

But as you can see from the attached picture, Roland mechanical plastic designers cleverly solved the problem. My calipers show that the plastic body ( sides and top ) are 1.0mm thick for structural reasons. But if you look closely inside the white cavity, one can see two rows where the six dual magnets fit into. It turns out the plastic thickness is paper thin. This extremely thin plastic allows for the magnet pole pieces to be virtually at the surface of the plastic housing.

So, IMHO,   the white plastic housing has no effect on PU performance.

The only problem is that he WHITE cover does not allow for Radius Adjustment.  It is fixed at 9.5 inch .

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2281.25

Basically shave off the top of the white PU cover. Of course there is no adjustment for fretboard radius, as is found on the external GK-3 pickup

But on the GC-1 they do use the new Internal Preamp board from the GK-KIT-GT-3  -  which has a bit more gain than the old GK-2A
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=235

So use the GK-3 setting on the VG-99 / GR-55 when using a GC-1

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=235

myksara

I recently purchased the Roland GC1 strat (BK with maple fingerboard) and it is an awesome guitar in its own right..
classy fingerboard,neck and pups with good sustain
Was just thinking of upgrading the tuners on it-something that would fight right into it without any woodwork or drilling..any thoughts on good quality locking tuners? I want the guitar to stay in tune after good amount of whammy bar blackmore style use.
Also for teh aesthetics, I feel the white pick guard on the black guitar looks too decent :-) is anyone aware of fancy pickguards available for GC1 strat that would fit right on the guitar? or any decals etc..I just want to spice up the looks of the guitar
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

musicman65

I've been buying the older Roland Ready Strats and hot-rodding them for years. My list of mods:

1. Upgrade stock rosewood 21 fret to 22 fret Birdseye Maple on Maple neck

2. Swap pups to Dimarzio Area 67, 61, 58 noiseless set and 500k vol pot

3. Swap stock trem for SuperVee locking trem (drop in install!) Stock tuners are fine once locked.

4. Treble bleed mod on the volume pot to retain brightness as volume is reduced

5. Proper fret leveling and action setup (huge improvement)

bd

datsunrobbie

I recommend upgrading to Fender/Schaller/Ping locking tuners. They should be a drop-in replacement for the standard tuners on the GC-1 strat and are original equipment on many Fender strats. Prices are all over the place, searching around can definitely save you some money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-schaller-locking-tuners
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-fender-deluxe-locking-machine-heads

I think Warmoth will make just about any pickguard you want, all it takes is a tracing and a handful of cash

myksara

Thanks for the suggestions guys!..I had never heard of the super vees and after some googling around..they seem interesting..
But it seems the original locking supervee is out of stock on the super vee website and they seem to be promoting something called bladerunner instead...Which one is a better option?..I am more inclined towards the original locking super vee as I read that it can also do a drop D tuning easily with teh additional tuners on the bridge that look like a floyd rose...
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

aliensporebomb

The Bladerunner is what I have on my current RR strat and it really is nearly as stable as a Floyd. I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it.

There it is:

Closeup of the trem:

But more important than the tuning stability, it made the whole guitar come alive and be much more acoustically loud and sustain longer, it's more resonant.  It's
much more fun to play just as a regular guitar as a result. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mbenigni

Bladerunners on my GC-1 and old RR Strat as well.  I LOVE this bridge.  The only thing I dislike - and I'm picking hairs here - is that the bar comes out of the plate slightly closer to the fulcrum than on a stock strat bridge, so my pinky hits it when I reach for a volume swell, a minor distraction.

I've been going with Planet Waves locking tuners just because I like the self-cropping idea.  The tuning machines themselves are just OK I suppose, and I've noted that they're using cheaper materials with things like the set screws.  I screwed them in - by hand - without drilling guide holes the last time I installed a set and four (FOUR!) of the six heads broke off leaving half the screw in the wood.  My bad for rushing the job, but I've never seen such cheap hardware in my life.

musicman65

Quote from:  myksara on November 27, 2012, 12:07:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!..I had never heard of the super vees and after some googling around..they seem interesting..
But it seems the original locking supervee is out of stock on the super vee website and they seem to be promoting something called bladerunner instead...Which one is a better option?..I am more inclined towards the original locking super vee as I read that it can also do a drop D tuning easily with teh additional tuners on the bridge that look like a floyd rose...

I use the Original Locking Super-Vee and tuning stability is identical to a Floyd. I can literally abuse the bar and other heavy handed techniques and never worry. The big advantage is the drop-in install and traditional saddle adjustments. The fine tuners have 3.5 to 4 steps range on low E and can easily drop D *if* the trem is NOT setup to floating. I float mine with a tremsetter so that's a no-no for me. Alt tunings are done via VG-99 anyways. :)

bd

myksara

Great to hear good things about the supervees. the original supervee with the lock nut seems to be out of stock so i think i will go with the blade runner...i hope i can do some vai stuff..for the love of God
And convinced that it us a direct drop in instal without the need
for any mods/drilling at all

mbenigni

The Bladerunner doesn't feel quite like a Floyd.  You might be disappointed if you rush in hoping for Vai.  It will do a bit of bar flutter, but not as easily sustained as a Floyd. And it's dive/pull range is not as wide as a fully routed Floyd install.  (I've never played an original SuperVee, but have a hard time comprehending how it can have the full range of a Floyd in a stock strat cavity... unless the trem block is very small.)

The benefits of the Bladerunner: lower price, no locking nut to install or unlock for string changes, and more of a stock strat look/feel (if you value that sort of thing.)  The installation is really easy and completely reversible.  I always assumed that the installation of the original SuperVee locking nut would leave screw holes at the very least.  Plus that locking nut looks like an art deco toaster LOL.   I wish SuperVee had engineered a nut that could lock and unlock without tools, that would have swayed me in its favor.  But as it stands, I prefer the simplicity of the BladeRunner.

Anyway, my main point is the SuperVee is probably more Floyd-like than the BladeRunner, strictly speaking.  Give it some thought.  I doubt the SuperVees will be out of stock very long.

musicman65

The locking nut glues in. I never thought that would woek but I have 2 without a single issue. No holes to drill. 2 allen heads unlock 3 strings each. I PREFER locking nuts becausw I can repair a broke string by reusing it aa long as it breaks at the bridge. In fact, I cut a half inch off the bridge end on all strings and retune instead of changing strings as long as they are not dead. I am really hard on strings. REALLY hard on them.

The limitation of dive depth is the block cavity....its too narrow and the block bottoms on the backside. I use a dremel and route out a relief. I can make the low E, A, and G wih 46/10's go down to a loose fret crash before I run out of bar. That's with the trem floating with 2 steps pitch up on the B string. I do not have a recessed top either. The body appears stock.

The locking SuperVee wont flutter as much as a FR. Not sure why...probably due to geometry and inertia differences. No biggie for me as I'm not real fond of the effect.

bd

myksara

Lots of great info out from you great guys! This helps.
I think i will wait for the supervee to be available for a month or so
Else go for the bladerunner...this is just to have something better
than the stock bridge of strats..so either of those would do..
As for vai stuff, i am already considering the ibanez rg1xxv
or prestige rg3250mz.. ;)

aliensporebomb

My thought is the locking Supervee would have been cool but it was more than my budget at the time - I sprang for the bladerunner and that did the job for me.

I have another GK guitar with a real floyd on it and when I need to go crazy with the whammy use that guitar for that purpose although the bladerunner lets you get away with a lot.  My primary purpose these days for a bladerunner is to liven up a strat - if your strat is kind of dead or blah this will liven it up.  If it's already resonant
and loud it will make it even better.  I dig it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kastmo

Hello. I am Kastmo from Spain. I am thinking to buy a fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster and a Roland GR-55 guitar synthesizer. (1522 Eurs. in Thomann). Do you know something about this equipment. I am very interested in knowing something about the guitar.  ???
Thanks and regards and excuse my bad english :)

Elantric

Its a quality Guitar and perfect for use with Roland 13 pin products. Not as versatile as a Godin xTSA, but still very nice.

See this link for a video of our friend Gundy Keller with the GC-1
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6027.msg41393#msg41393

Kastmo

Hi Elantric. Thanks for your response. I had already seen the video and many others. My question is if anyone has tried the guitar and can tell me if it's a good stratocaster and I really appreciate your response. Thank you so much for your opinion and best regards. :)

Elantric

I've played them - they are very nice  - higher quality Neck than the older "Fender Roland Ready Strat.

myksara

Hi all,
I have a roland gc1 strat with the maple fingerboard n i love
it so much that i m thinking of adding 1 more..since
GR55 is the beast i use primarily for gigs n recordings
n would be for many long years.:)
Was thinking if the rosewood version is as buttery smooth
as the maple?
Would be interesting to know what you guys are using and your opinions
exclusively on the gc1 only
How i wish fender packaged these in attractive colors..
I hate the black n sunburst colors since they are so so common.
Can we pesruade fender to make these in some crashocaster like
colors..wowwwww..i wd buy atleast 3!!

mbenigni

It's really down to personally preference.  In general, I've always preferred the playability of denser fingerboard woods (e.g. maple and ebony) over rosewood, but all else being equal, a guitar with a rosewood board will tend to sound a little warmer.  Or at least that's my take - it could be half psychological, or down to other variables, e.g. body wood and finish.  And in these regards no two guitars are alike, so there are exceptions to just about any rule.

Personally, if I already had the maple GC1 and wanted another one, I'd go with the rosewood just to cover the bases.  They're similar enough that one is an effective backup for the other, but it may be nice to have the variety.

photonutalan1

My GC1 has a rosewood fretboard, which I greatly prefer over maple. As mbenigni stated, the tone is warmer; Fender states that rosewood tracks better (providing a cleaner signal to the hex pickups) than maple. It also shows less playing wear.