GK3-Kit on Strandberg with tremolo

Started by Ollii, November 17, 2023, 03:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollii

Hi, I'm thinking of installing an internal GK3 in my Strandberg Boden Classic with tremolo. However, the distance between the bridge and the GK3 would be about 3 cm on the low E side, a good centimetre more than the maximum distance of 2 cm recommended by Roland.

What does this mean for tracking? Has anyone here ever installed or tried out a GK3 with the appropriate distance?

Elantric

It will probably work OK - use double sided carpet tape or Blutack putty to test mount GK pickup locations prior to drilling holes

The rule is least 10mm away. 20mm is probably Optimal distance to each bridge saddle. And some mount pickup on an angle in reverse - just like the official  Boss Strandberg VBDN  is best

https://strandbergguitars.com/eu/product/boden-v-guitar-v-bdn/

philjynx

Quote from: Elantric on November 17, 2023, 08:12:59 AMIt will probably work OK - use double sided carpet tape or Blutack putty to test mount GK pickup locations prior to drilling holes

The rule is least 10mm away. 20mm is probably Optimal distance to each bridge saddle. ....
According to Roland no further than 20mm

"* Attach the pickup about 15 mm (9/16") from the bridge if your guitar is strung with copper, brass, or bronze wound strings, such as with an acoustic guitar. * Regardless of the guitar, do not position the divided pickup more than 20 mm (13/16") from the bridge"

Elantric

But mounting GK pickup too close to the bridge is a no no, = terrible tracking and weak output ,  documented here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13322.0

philjynx

Steve, you have changed my post, specifically you've changed the part where I quoted you. This is absurd.

Elantric

Accuracy is my #1 goal here at VGUITARFORUMS

I updated my original post ( which was in error)  and fixed my post in  your quote of my bad post

Been doing error corrections to maintain  high signal to noise ratio here since 2008  and will continue to review and edit my posts ( and my quoted text)

Sorry if this upset you

whippinpost91850

If you need a GK3 install kit . I'll sell for $135 US. PM me if interested Paul

Ollii

Yes, I know the information from the manual. The problem is the tremolo block. The Vbdn shown is a hardtail. You can get closer to it. Unfortunately, you would have also to move the humbucker to try this out, otherwise the pickup would not fit. So it would be good to know beforehand whether it's worth the effort or whether I should look for alternatives (e.g. Cycfi Nu).