GR-55 - Complete MIDI Implementation

Started by rockhound, March 04, 2011, 08:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestCat

Gumtown,

Further up this thread, you'd said:

"The only other 'descrepencies' are the modeled tone pitch adjust seems to be for each string rather than a single parameter in the editor(must have missed that in the initial reverse-engineering)"

Is this true?  If so, it would open up a lot of possibilities...

Thanks

gumtown

That is what Roland had written on paper in their own midi implementation doc.
In actual fact it is a single common parameter for all strings,
maybe they had other plans initially but ran out of DSP power.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ForestCat

Ah, bummer.  Would have been cool to sequence individual string pitches :-)

Thanks for the info.

sixeight

Gumtown

So there is no sysex message to turn the tuner on and off?

You have posted the sysex messages to control the LED of the control pedal. Are there also messages for the other LEDs? I would like to use the V-link LED for tap tempo, and maybe do something with the LED's above the patch pedals as well.

gumtown

The Tuner on/off is not accessible through midi/sysx.

The CTL and EXP led's are controlled by the pedal state, so the sysx commands are doing the pedal on/off, which does the led too.
The VLink led can be switched by enabling/disabling VLINK, but the catch is, when VLink is enabled it starts spewing out small amounts of  proprietry midi data.
The Patch pedal leds can only be switched by receiving patch change.

Another option I have yet to fully test is seamless patch changes on the GR-55, as we know when the GR-55 receives a PC command the audio drops out for a little which, which makes Patch change unusable live.
But if you use a midi foot controller (e.g. your side project) which can request sysx patch data from the GR-55 and send it back to the GR-55 temporary address (the current patch), the GR-55 accepts this patch data without dropping out
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

QuoteBut if you use a midi foot controller (e.g. your side project) which can request sysx patch data from the GR-55 and send it back to the GR-55 temporary address (the current patch), the GR-55 accepts this patch data without dropping out

Great idea. I have to try that one. I hope my Teensy will be fast enough to process all that data...

whippinpost91850

What's the MIDI CC number to turn on/off  the GR55 control pedal

Elantric

Does not exist

The trickle down issue is there is no ability to use a MIDI Command for the Hold Function.

whippinpost91850

Well that sucks. I 'm trying to Finish my pedal board I guess I' back to trying to do a remote physical switch.  I want to get the gr55 back with my CLR and Kemper

GuitarSlingerW3

So this should be a LOT simpler!!  I have spent 3 hours trying to figure out what the GR-55 needs for MSB, LSB, and Value to execute a simple MIDI program change.  I am sending commands from my line 6 Helix and can control my Voice Live 3 and Beat Buddy just fine, but there is nothing in plain English telling me what the GR-55 needs.  And YES, I do have the RX on and the physical connections right!  Can anyone explain this??  It seems like a simple table in the manual would have saved me hours!

ElliotG

Here are a few ideas:

If you open the file in Microsoft Word, you can then save it as a text file. 
There are also a number of web sites that do pdf file format conversions into something editable.