RMC OPT-01 - GR-55 Internal Subsonic Filter board

Started by imall41, February 21, 2011, 05:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erickalcazar

Anyone knows where can I get a subsonic Filter and if it woks whit the GK-3 pick up thank you!

Elantric

Order from the three vendors that sell them

all contact details on in the 1st post

RMC OPT-01 (Internal Filter)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

PrimovaSound GKFX-21 (external filter)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15681.0

Wayne Joness Filter Buffer (external filter)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9692.0

Shel

Most of the articles I've read are dated back to 2011-2012.  Has Roland made any more recent changes to the GR55 that may include filtering of "subsonics?"  Does the Opt1 really make that much of a difference?

Elantric

QuoteDoes the Opt1 really make that much of a difference?

For GK-3 owners  - not much difference

For Piezo Hex Pickup users - huge differences

Suggest read and watch the OPT-01 Owners reports of success by starting on page one 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

QuoteHas Roland made any more recent changes to the GR55 that may include filtering of "subsonics?" 

No differences  / no changes since last GR-55 firmware update in June 2012 ( Summer NAMM and arrival of the Black GR-55, which actually does have slightly different internal motherboard compared to a January 2011 model GR-55 - but no observable audio differences between each generation GR-55 when latest 1.50 firmware is installed )  , and the continued high sales success for the GR-55 means a replacement will not  be arriving anytime soon.
The 2014 Boss GP-10 has the most current generation Roland/Boss polyphonic Guitar to MIDI design, and is superior to the GR-55's Guitar to MIDI, and an add on third party subsonic filter is not as important for successful Piezo hex Guitar to MIDI conversion. 

Based upon new member reasons to join our forum, the GR-55 remains the most popular Roland / Boss GK 13 pin processor. Nobody mentions the VG-99 or GP-10 as the reason they joined. Most simply want our user to user patches, and only .01 % actually make a post. And of course like most forums, we have 30-40 folks who post and contribute answers and solutions on a regular basis, and thousands of folks who joined, looked around, and decided this high tech stuff just gets in the way of their musical expression and move on, never to return.
And another larger population group of "Guest" non members : Comprised of a few high profile M.I. Corporate Executives, Product Managers, Recording Artists, Inventors,  Entrepreneurs,  and folks who just stumble in from a Google search on Guitar Synths or iPad Music gear.

I'll mention that like most things in this world, the most popular option is seldom the best choice.       

kip0992

Has anyone found a place to buy any of these? I don't see anything on the RMC site,  the Primova is "out of parts" and the Dr Joness is "out of production"...

Elantric

as always - read 1st post in the thread

Contact RMC for details

info@rmcmusic.com

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

amiracam

hi, just got a GR-55 and notice this thread, are these OPT-1 filter's still available ? I checked out the RMC site but could not find it listed under Products.

thanks

Charles

admin

Yes they are available , contact RMC pick-ups  for more info.

mewoodall1

Just received an Opt-1 by UPS yesterday. 5 minute install. Amazing reduction in piano/keyboard ghost notes.
Gr55+ Roland Ready Strat.

Well worth the effort/cost

PardalGodin

bom dia ! Queria adquirir a placa OPT-01 porem estou no brasil Rio de janeiro. como proceder para a compra desta placa ? obrigado !!

viramundo

Oi PardalGodin.

Voce pode comprar essa placa sim. info@rmcmusic.com

Mas vc vai ter que escrever em ingles.

Boa sorte

xcession

Just got two Opt-1 for our GR-55s. Very fast install, and amazing reduction in ghosts. Only problem is this... it can't actually improve my playing. Practice makes perfect. :)
terminal amateur noise maker
2 x Godin XTSA & 2 x GR-55
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

MakeNoise Shared System Plus

ratolin

Quote from: mjsynth on August 01, 2011, 08:24:35 AM
I use a Godin Multiac SA (nylon strings). With information on this board I finally have good tracking.

• I took my guitar into the local luthier and he did a setup. He also found some loose connections. This seemed to help a lot on the GR-55. It didn't seem to make a difference with my GR-20 or Axon
  • Used the "Sweetwater" settings I found in this forum somewhere.
  • Installed the RMC OPT-01 Subsonic filter.
The cable that comes with the GR55 doesn't fit as well as my older cables. IMHO they seem to be not as well made as they used to be.

I would say that the settings that Sweetwater provided made it usable.
The setup of the guitar seemed to fix a lot of false triggers and the RMC filter fixed the rest of the problems (Thanks Richard McClish).

Also thanks for all the info on this forum

I have a Godin Multiac SA as well withe an OPT-01 but it doesn't seems to fix the Ghost notes for me and my GR-55

Does someone knows how can i fix this.

Thanks a lot

admin

admin

rosicha

Hello guys. Last week I bought and installed the filter. I spent couple of days adjusting the settings on the GR55 and I'm quite satisfied from the results.  I see tremendous improvement and the issues with ghost notes are set almost to 0.
I see it's written on the filter rmc opt1 mk2.
Is it some upgrade from the previous version?

admin

Start at page 1 of this thread

Below is Rev 1

DrtMcGrt

So the consensus is that it doesn't do much for GK-3's?

If not, are there any suggestions for ghost notes with a GK-3's on a Tele Deluxe?

admin

Quote from: DrtMcGrt on August 19, 2019, 06:55:26 AM
So the consensus is that it doesn't do much for GK-3's?

If not, are there any suggestions for ghost notes with a GK-3's on a Tele Deluxe?

Wax pot the GK PU

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43.0

cd666

Hi guys! I have gr55 black and gk3 installed on my acoustic. Im thinking of buying RMC OPT-01 , does it work well? I see some comments tat for som yes for some no. Whats Your opinion? Is there anywhere I can buy it in Europe? Thanks a lot!

lg3bass

Hi All,  It's been ~10 years now since the RMC OPT 01 came out.   I have a GR-55 and Graphtech in my Conklin bass.   I wonder if I would be better served with a newer pedal like the Sy-1000?   

The RMC OPT 01 filters out low frequency.  Has anybody tried this on bass?

I just discovered (from reading this thread) that the sensitivity settings on the GR-55 make a HUGE difference.  On my bass I set them to a max of 10.  I can't believe it's taken me 10yrs to figure this out. Big thank you to this thread for that pice of info!   I'm wondering if the OPT-01 can improve even further or if I should invest in a newer pedal board.

CodeSmart

The SY-1000 and GP-10 has a very brutal digital high-pass filter. I connected a tone generator to the GK input and watched the output on a scope. As soon as you go a bit below the fundamental frequency of the string there's nothing out, nada. Amazing.

For a SY-1000 in bass mode of course the unit reprograms the filters for one octave down.

When it comes to the OPT-1 (as well as the Primova GKFX-1) the high pass filters are tuned to the fundamental tone frequencies of a GUITAR, not BASS (located one octave down in frequency).

So, generally speaking:
1. The GP-10 and SY-1000 does not benefit from an additional input filter.
2. The OPT-1 and GKFX-1 does not work well with a bass (the sound will sound 'thin' on lower notes)
3. The GK-3 pickup does not benefit from a filter since its 6 small humbucker pickups only picking up the magnetics of the string. There's no 'subsonic noise' that will interfere with 'guitar-to-MIDI' software.
4. Piezo pickups captures all kind of weird noises from the guitar, not only the string oscillation. They're like microphones. So for Piezo pickups a subsonic filter like OPT-1/GKFX-1 is beneficial. However with the newest RMC boards = Godin guitars newer than 2011/2012, there's already an in-built filter so an additional filter will not help noticeable.

Conclusion:
Piezo but not Godin newer than 2011/2012 + synth other than GP-10/SY-1000, go filter!
Bass, don't go filter.
GK-3 don't go filter.

If you have triggering problems with your GK-pickup you haven't  spent enough time with the GK SET settings, or your guitar setup have issues, or your playing style is not good enough.
Wax potting may help with certain problems, but have no personal experience.

If you complain about LATENCY, there's no cure for it other than getting an FTP pickup instead.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

The GR-55 and the SY-1000 paired together with a GK input splitter covers all bases for tones for basses.
A very good match together.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 22, 2021, 02:52:57 PM
The SY-1000 and GP-10 has a very brutal digital high-pass filter. I connected a tone generator to the GK input and watched the output on a scope. As soon as you go a bit below the fundamental frequency of the string there's nothing out, nada. Amazing.

For a SY-1000 in bass mode of course the unit reprograms the filters for one octave down.

When it comes to the OPT-1 (as well as the Primova GKFX-1) the high pass filters are tuned to the fundamental tone frequencies of a GUITAR, not BASS (located one octave down in frequency).

So, generally speaking:
1. The GP-10 and SY-1000 does not benefit from an additional input filter.
2. The OPT-1 and GKFX-1 does not work well with a bass (the sound will sound 'thin' on lower notes)
3. The GK-3 pickup does not benefit from a filter since its 6 small humbucker pickups only picking up the magnetics of the string. There's no 'subsonic noise' that will interfere with 'guitar-to-MIDI' software.
4. Piezo pickups captures all kind of weird noises from the guitar, not only the string oscillation. They're like microphones. So for Piezo pickups a subsonic filter like OPT-1/GKFX-1 is beneficial. However with the newest RMC boards = Godin guitars newer than 2011/2012, there's already an in-built filter so an additional filter will not help noticeable.

Conclusion:
Piezo but not Godin newer than 2011/2012 + synth other than GP-10/SY-1000, go filter!
Bass, don't go filter.
GK-3 don't go filter.

If you have triggering problems with your GK-pickup you haven't  spent enough time with the GK SET settings, or your guitar setup have issues, or your playing style is not good enough.
Wax potting may help with certain problems, but have no personal experience.

If you complain about LATENCY, there's no cure for it other than getting an FTP pickup instead.

FWIW - on a custom order basis the RMC -OPT-01 sub filter board for GR-55 may be custom ordered populated with R/C components optimized for Bass instruments

admin

Quote from: admin on March 22, 2021, 03:45:50 PM
FWIW - on a custom order basis the RMC -OPT-01 sub filter board for GR-55 may be custom ordered populated with R/C components optimized for Bass instruments

Richard McClish at RMC Pickups also offers a Bass Instrument optimized sub filter board for VB-99

RMC V9SF-001B for VB99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3063.0