white cover on gk pickup on a roland ready strat

Started by dayn, February 22, 2010, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

adamlee011

Might as well wake this up since I'm back here reading it. All the questions about painting them. I might try plastidip. Depends which pickguard I keep on my ibanez. I would take the cover off and dip it white. Probably building light coats of the stuff in the spray can. Should be durable also reversible.

adamlee011

Do be careful exposing the gk coils. I must have nicked one swapping covers around and lost a string output. I'm willing to buy a spare one if anyone has, or sell the gk3 wart sans pickup. I could swap things around if I decide to stay pearl, or install the regular kit if I make a tortoise pickguard (which is probably happening at some point regardless.) this got me thinking now, I know each little pickup is wax potted, I wonder if I just have a cold joint from the flex of that pcb. Maybe tone to go into the parts bin and look closer. I just reached for the nearest working part at the time, put the internal kit cover on it, and moved on. No use crying I figured.

adamlee011

Ah, I guess they aren't potted but sandwiched in plastic. I can clearly see a broken wire on the one in question. I wonder if somebody with more pickup experience could successfully repair that coil.