sloppy 13 pin cable trick

Started by The Plague, December 09, 2017, 09:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Plague

I've done this a few time. If your cable plug gets sloppy, you get crackling and just bad contact. What works for me is an O-ring from an automotive store. take your cable and ask to look at their O-rings and find the one that is a little tight when slipped over and all the way up the plug, (don't get a fat /thick one or it well roll over and up the plug housing) .anyway this acts like a boot and puts back pressure between the GK and plug. No more Slop.

roachone

Neat idea! I think....Can it still fit to where it will lock?

The Plague

That's why you don't want a thick one. I'll try to find what size I have, and get a pic and info on here. But it does work and you can still lock-in.

alexmcginness

that would be great. looking forward to the pic
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

groovey1

Sounds like something that could be useful. It would be cool if you could figure out what size works for you and let us know.
Thanks for posting

The Plague

I meant to do that a couple days ago, I cant get to a lot of my gear..., I started remodeling about 3 month ago a moved a BUNCH of stuff into my studio to get it out off the way, during that time my Mother had a stroke, so all the remodeling was put on hold, had to move her in, set her up in a room with a Hospital Bed, move more stuff into my studio,,, which already had a Semi-Load of gear. LOL! So now Im off work to take are of my Mother,,,sleep on a sofa, got like 10 guitars here by me and my GP-1 and headphones, cant get to my amps, cant play with my new A&H QU32. I do have a couple of my old GK2A handy, I'll take one and my new cable that came with my GP-10, and stop by O'reilly's tomorrow real fast, and get a few and the size inf. and get some pic's up. I've just got to many bases to cover, and a change in life style, all at once... and a messed-up house to boot. ::)

The Plague

Okay. here's what I ended p with, because O'rielly's  O'ring assortment was pretty much gone (someones dragging their feet) anyway I had to get a 5/16 ID by 7/16 OD which is a little to thick,,, you should be able to find the right size/thickness, with out any problem, IF they have the complete kit. So here's some pic's. You should be able to pick-up on what I'm showing/talking about. Note,,, this O-ring being to thick would not let cable lock on Ghost and Roland Jacks... it locks on the GK's but you usually don't need it when going GK.     

roachone

Good job! I'll get some O rings tomorrow.

groovey1

Great  ... thanks for the photos! I was having a little trouble picturing where you were putting the ring, but now that I see it, it makes total sense. I'm going to give this a try. I see my local Canadian Tire has some 7/16 x 5/16 x 1/16 o rings -- maybe that will work.
PS: it sounds like you really have your hands full. Appreciate you talking the time to update us.

The Plague

I had to get that size to see if the stretch would make it thinner, They just didn't have any,,, basically they were out. You'll know what to get if you have a complete kit in front of you. I looked for my AC kit but couldn't find it, those O-rings are green and would also work plus they're softer if I recall correctly. Like I said, I tried to stretch that one, it was pretty small, so you could go with a bigger inside diameter as far as that goes, its just got to be thin. I think Im repeating myself. LOL This does stabilize the plug/jack surface.

alexmcginness

Thanks for the pics. Its all clear now.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.