Hex Pickups are ugly

Started by Elantric, July 07, 2016, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Plus you're on danger of going outside adjustment distance on the VG/GR.

Closer to bridge is more desirable I thought?

vanceg

If you have space for a humbucker at the bridge pickup, you could put in one Hex NU pickup, and one single coil size pickup (Cycfi or other) and use that standard single coil to drive a sustainer.  That's what I'll be doing when I convert my "travel" guitar from GK-3 to NU soon.  On that instrument I'll likely just connect the NU to a 13pin connector, so the install will be pretty much identical to what I did to put the GK-3 in...but I'll be using a normal pickup sized pickup instead of the GK-3.
Yes, the sound is a little different from the GK-3.  Generally I find my VG-99 to sound a little more "alive" when I use it with the NU pickup.  There is a bit more high end with the NU.  I find that the amp emulations seem to sound a good bit better...but... all of this is really subjective.  I have not (yet) done any analysis of the frequency content from the two pickups.  I can say that yes, absolutely, subjectively, my VG-99 and GP-10 sound "a little better" when I use the NU pickups. 

The NUs output is a bit higher than the GK-3 so I do end up turning the "GK" inputs on the VG-99 down.

Another option for sustainer is - Cycfi has said for a while that they are putting out a multichannel sustainer.  It's not out yet, but I'm pretty hopeful based on wht I've seen thus far.   For the moment, I think the Sustainiac with a NU is a solid concept.

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 12, 2017, 06:23:18 AM
Looks nice but I guess I'd miss out on the Sustainer.
Also the sound must be different from a GK ?

(The advantage with having all GK 1,2,3 is that the sound is not exactly the same but close enough
not having to reprogram all patches.)

Brak(E)man

Multi Channel sustainer is exactly what I need !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

carlb

Anyone with initial findings on "warblies" with Cycfi pickups and a GP-10?
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on December 11, 2017, 10:05:14 AM
Is that a custom pickguard that you had cut out from that company that you linked to in another thread?

No, it's a standard HSS Stratocaster pickguard
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

Quote from: carlb on December 12, 2017, 11:07:17 AM
Anyone with initial findings on "warblies" with Cycfi pickups and a GP-10?

Specifically with DSP Alt Tuning Patches on GP-10 or VG-99 or GR-55 ?

carlb

I suppose alt tuning findings for any of those three would give a good indication. Although the GP-10 is more susceptible to the "tail-warblies" than the VG-99.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

vanceg

Well, I've got a VG-99 and GP-10.  Are there any particular patches you'd like me to listen to?  Are you mainly interested in if the Cycfi pickups help cure the warbling sound sometimes heard with alternate tunings or (even more so) when the Harmonizer is used?

Quote from: carlb on December 12, 2017, 11:37:10 AM
I suppose alt tuning findings for any of those three would give a good indication. Although the GP-10 is more susceptible to the "tail-warblies" than the VG-99.

vanceg

Well, they are working on it.  No stated date.   The only other multichannel sustain system that I know was 'widely' produced was the Vo96 and it's not available new at the moment and was designed for acoustic instruments (though it can be used on electrics... with some caveats).   

But I digress.

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 12, 2017, 10:33:25 AM
Multi Channel sustainer is exactly what I need !

admin

Quote from: vanceg on December 12, 2017, 03:45:44 PM
Well, I've got a VG-99 and GP-10.  Are there any particular patches you'd like me to listen to?  Are you mainly interested in if the Cycfi pickups help cure the warbling sound sometimes heard with alternate tunings or (even more so) when the Harmonizer is used?

Here is the GP-10 Alt Tuning Anomaly thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13752.0

Here is the problem patch to try with  Cycfi pickup feeding GP-10

here is the "Alt Tuning" problem GP-10 patch (with clean COSM electric guitar and ALT Tuning dropped -4 semitones.)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13752.0;attach=11251

Majiken

I'd be interested in feedback on Cycfi pickup performance regarding warbling vs. the GK-3 on the GP10!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

vanceg

Quote from: Majiken on December 12, 2017, 04:11:06 PM
I'd be interested in feedback on Cycfi pickup performance regarding warbling vs. the GK-3 on the GP10!

It's my understanding from reading those threads that some guitars exhibit this warbling issue on the GP-10 and others don't.  Isn't that the conclusion you come to when reading through it?   The instruments that I installed the NU pickups on didn't exhibit this issue to start off with the GK3
... so I don't suspect they will with the NUs.   But I'm happy to check.

Majiken

Hi Vance, yes, that is my understanding as well as my own personal experience. For me it is clear that the GK-3 outperforms piezos hands-down in this aspect, and my GK-3-equipped '92 PRS Classic Electric 24 is almost entirely warble-free.  If your guitars have no problems with the GK-3 it would just be an academic exercise to confirm the NUs behave the same, so not necessary for me- but I appreciate the offer!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

cags12

I am still interested on this test. People keep saying on different posts that Hex pickups installed on the place of the bridge pickup or far from the bridge are more prone to cross-talk and anomalies.

Testing thoroughly how the NU's perform for Alt tunings, models and MIDI would be super beneficial for the community. Knowing the distance from the bridge and string separation on any given test is also good to know.