Hello from Omnibibulous

Started by Omnibibulous, December 03, 2017, 03:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omnibibulous

Greetings from a longtime user of Roland virtual guitar tech. My name is Jay, I'm in Ohio. I've been registered here since I picked up a VG-99 several years ago. I'm a lurker since then, and now I have some posts to make. Prior to all this, I used to frequent the old VG-8 site, and indeed, I've had a VG-8 on the floor since about 1997. Mostly, I'm making this introduction to salute and thank the many apparently tireless individuals who help make this such an amazing community.

I've been playing guitar since 1984, and I'll never ever ever stop and I love it to death as much as ever, but the fact is with a demanding job and a four-year-old and family and the fact that, staring down the barrel of 50 (as my guitar shop employer used to say) I'm "all groaned up", it all means I have only a little time for the instrument in my life right now. I play for myself and in a praise band in my church, and that's about it. These days, I cling to the guitar. And then I find the infinitely deep VG-99, an astonishing instrument, but then WAIT, what?—there is this amazing community that, in the face of corporate indifference and public misunderstanding, self-creates a world of support, such that people like me who have only a tiny bit of time for things like programming parameters, can walk into a world of sound? With bajillions of patches? And advice and solutions? People like AlienSporeBomb and those ambient patches, I use them all the time. Or Kostas in Greece—man, I play his Steve Vai patch all the time; the fact that he can play "Juice" gives me hope that I can. And Elantric, gosh: if there could be an internet Kennedy Center Award I would give it to that guy...

I guess, I just want to thank you all so much for helping out your fellow musical human beings. Keep up the good work, please! I can't promise I can contribute a damn thing, but I sure do appreciate it.

Cheers—
Jay