GP-10 - How can I bypass all GP-10 effects on the fly in live gigging situation?

Started by homeby5, November 24, 2017, 07:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeby5

I feel stupid having to ask this but I have been trying to implement the GP-10 into a weekly gig. I really need a way to simply bypass the GP-10 altogether and send my true guitar signal straight into my amp without having to stop and change settings. I need to do it on the fly. My old processor had a simple button to make this easy. I assumes that this would be easy to....and it may..... be but I don't know how to do this. Can any help me?
Thanks guys  :)

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

sixeight

Or you could make a Bypass patch. This is a patch with all effects off and the guitar on.

homeby5

I hate to make another patch because I want to be able to do this very quickly in the middle of a song....you know go back and forth. I guess I could put a "bypass" patch next to another patch so I can access it on the fly but then I would not be able to use this function with several patches....no?

I like the tuner idea better but of course that would kill me from using the onboard tuner but that's no biggie. The problem would be to make sure I hit both pedals at the same time with my bulky foot and then when I want to switch back I guess I would have to bend down to hit the exit button.

I'm a little stunned this unit doesn't make this VERY simple for gigging players. This is a common feature that most players want, IMO.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: homeby5 on November 24, 2017, 09:18:01 AM
I'm a little stunned this unit doesn't make this VERY simple for gigging players. This is a common feature that most players want, IMO.

Many of us that use the GP -10 live doesn't use a external guitar amp but full range speakers or straight to PA, I wouldn't want a feature like that at all.

The easy way would be a FV after the GP
(or use the built in or extra expression ped for main volume.)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chappi

Quote from: rolandvg99 on November 24, 2017, 08:28:02 AM
Tuner and turn off tuner mute.

If I was setting this up to switch to normal pu via guitar out only using assigns would it be the following?

In settings Tuner - Sound, set to bypass.

Then Assign Target - CTL: Tuner SW, on/off

"BYPASS
While tuning, the sound from the GK IN connector/GUITAR IN
jack will be output without change.
All modelings and effects will be off"

But normal pu via main output might still be on? So might need to add another assign to turn that off as well.

Majiken

Assuming you run your output in mono, how about an AB switch between the guitar direct out and the left/mono output? An additional piece of kit, but those are tiny these days, plus you'd have a dedicated switch....
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

homeby5

Quote from: chappi on November 24, 2017, 11:29:10 AM
If I was setting this up to switch to normal pu via guitar out only using assigns would it be the following?

In settings Tuner - Sound, set to bypass.

Then Assign Target - CTL: Tuner SW, on/off

"BYPASS
While tuning, the sound from the GK IN connector/GUITAR IN
jack will be output without change.
All modelings and effects will be off"

But normal pu via main output might still be on? So might need to add another assign to turn that off as well.
I'm curious too....

homeby5

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 24, 2017, 11:24:08 AM
The easy way would be a FV after the GP
(or use the built in or extra expression ped for main volume.)
What does FV mean? Can you detail how o do what you mean? Thanks

Brak(E)man

Quote from: homeby5 on November 25, 2017, 06:20:08 AM
What does FV mean? Can you detail how o do what you mean? Thanks

Foot volume pedal.

It all depends on how you want the signal chain to go , stereo out from GP10 to ? Or mono ? To where ?
You have a guitar direct out from the GP-10 that you can use to bypass GP10
or there's ways to do that within the GP10 routing , it all depends how you're using GP-10.

(FI . I'm using GP-10 as my entire rig apart from a looper, and a SY300 sometimes.
So if I want the GP bypassed I turn it down with the expression pedal, the direct out goes into SY300 that I control with an expression ped for volume and back into aux on GP10 and from stereo out to a boss dd-20 looper and straight to PA)

- Lydia Lunch

homeby5

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 25, 2017, 07:51:10 AM
Foot volume pedal.

It all depends on how you want the signal chain to go , stereo out from GP10 to ? Or mono ? To where ?
You have a guitar direct out from the GP-10 that you can use to bypass GP10
or there's ways to do that within the GP10 routing , it all depends how you're using GP-10.

(FI . I'm using GP-10 as my entire rig apart from a looper, and a SY300 sometimes.
So if I want the GP bypassed I turn it down with the expression pedal, the direct out goes into SY300 that I control with an expression ped for volume and back into aux on GP10 and from stereo out to a boss dd-20 looper and straight to PA)
Basically, I am using an acoustic guitar with normal 1/4 cable going into the "guitar in" jack on the GP-10. From the back of my GP-10 I connect my amp. I want to be able to use effects for some of the song and then in the middle of the song immediately bypass all effects and send my natural guitar sound routing through the GP-10 going to my amp which will give me my true sound of my guitar and amp. I hope I explained it correctly?

Brak(E)man

Then the easiest and prob best way is to use an A/B switch as suggested by Majken
Mono out and direkt guitar out

You can set up the GP to bypass all fx internally but you have to do that per patch unless I'm missing something, and depending on how many patches you're using it might be some work.

You can use control 1 and assign off and on to all fx

- Lydia Lunch

homeby5

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 25, 2017, 10:32:03 AM

Then the easiest and prob best way is to use an A/B switch as suggested by Majken
Mono out and direkt guitar out

You can set up the GP to bypass all fx internally but you have to do that per patch unless I'm missing something, and depending on how many patches you're using it might be some work.

You can use control 1 and assign off and on to all fx
The problem I have with the A/B box is that I only have one input on my Amp which is connected to the output of my GP-10. Am I missing something?

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

sixeight

Quote from: homeby5 on November 25, 2017, 10:54:54 AM
The problem I have with the A/B box is that I only have one input on my Amp which is connected to the output of my GP-10. Am I missing something?

Connect the guitar out of the GP10 to one input of the A/B box and one main output of the GP10 to the other. Now it will switch between your magnetic pickups and the GP10 sounds.

Majiken

Precisely  :)! You may need to adjust the levels of your patches to match the guitar through, but that allows the option of having 1:1 volume, or one higher than the other.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

homeby5

Quote from: sixeight on November 25, 2017, 12:00:24 PM
Connect the guitar out of the GP10 to one input of the A/B box and one main output of the GP10 to the other. Now it will switch between your magnetic pickups and the GP10 sounds.
Oh.....OK. So the "Guitar Out" jack is basically a bypass output that doesn't utilize effects? Then the Mono main output would be the one to use when I want the effects. Is this right? That would work but I just need an extra switch. Thanks.
Damn.......this would have been so easy for Boss to put a switch inside thier unit for this situation. I do love the unit though....just a couple things that seem common sense for gigging guitar players were left out. The other is not allowing two FX settings on the same patch. Oh well......

Majiken

Yes, correct.

As previously suggested, you might want to try the tuner alternative as well, especially if you don't want an extra switch. Perhaps you can even program it to one of the FX switches and make it a global setting to avoid having to program each patch?  For me, it's not a huge problem to hit both switches to get into tuner mode, but I would also be a bit apprehensive about depending on that live... I play a lot of acoustic, and have 1 FX switch as a booster for fingerpicking or soloing, plus the other to generally turn an effect like chorus on and off, with the expression pedal controlling the FX level.

It appears you don't use the 13-pin cable, right?  I'm with you on the limited FX routing, I reckon the processing is required for the modelings and alternate tunings.

www.majiken.rocks

homeby5

Sorry for the late response...I just saw this reply.
Yes....I do use the 13 pin cable. Does this matter?