GK3 on Strandberg Boden?

Started by Ollii, November 09, 2017, 01:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollii

Hi, has anyone here ever installed a GK3 on a Strandberg Boden? I'm thinking of getting a Strandberg, but I do not want to give up the GK3. The question is now, if that fits there because of the diagonal bridge and the small space on the body. Unfortunately, the V-BND has no 13 pin output. Not to mention that it is a bit too expensive for my budget. If someone has experience with it, it would be great if he could report on it and maybe could show a photo of it.

Vaultnaemsae

Based on the pictures I've seen I doubt that a GK would fit. But I'd be very happy to hear otherwise.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

reingarnichts

I had the same question and got the following answer from their customer support:
"It is theoretically possible to install the Roland GK pickup system on the Boden but placement of the module that is attached to the hex pickup on the small body where it doesn't get in the way would be difficult."

So it might be a yes. Or a no. I don't know.

A CyFi Nu would probably fit (at the cost of the original bridge pu) but I don't know. Maybe even the standard internal GK-Kit would do it.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: reingarnichts on November 09, 2017, 11:31:02 PM
I had the same question and got the following answer from their customer support:
"It is theoretically possible to install the Roland GK pickup system on the Boden but placement of the module that is attached to the hex pickup on the small body where it doesn't get in the way would be difficult."

I think they're talking about the external GK.  I'll bet an internal kit installation might work.

Quote from: reingarnichts on November 09, 2017, 11:31:02 PMA CyFi Nu would probably fit (at the cost of the original bridge pu) but I don't know. Maybe even the standard internal GK-Kit would do it.

A Cycfi Nu will work - as a matter of fact Strandberg has been working with them for a while now.  The only issue is placement of the breakout board, which is smaller than the GK board.  This has a higher likelihood of fitting without much modification of the guitar.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Headless68

if you watch this vid of a sustainiac install in a Strandberg you can see that the control cavity extends quite far into the body of the guitar
I reckon you could get a GK board in there easily

Also - the Boss / Strandberg guitar shows that the GK pickup is fine with Strandberg bridge spacing (even for fanned fret)

Ollii

Hi, thanks for the answers. So it looks like you can not do without a luthier. Ok, than my Vester The Argus will hang on my GR55 for a bit longer :-).

scratch17

This is my dream guitar:

https://strandbergguitars.com/product/salen-classic-trans-butterscotch/

It just became available.

I'd like to add a Cycfi NU2 Multi between the bridge and neck pickups with the Lemo connector when that combination becomes available. I want the NU2 Multi for hex tracking in my DAW, not for GK gear, so a middle pickup position will be great.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Shingles

They collaborated with Roland/Boss to include the GG modelling in some Strindberg guitars but did not include 13-pin output. So I am punishing them by not buying one.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

BladesToyShop

Quote from: Shingles on August 02, 2018, 11:53:03 PM
They collaborated with Roland/Boss to include the GG modelling in some Strindberg guitars but did not include 13-pin output. So I am punishing them by not buying one.

I think it's meant to compete with the Line 6 Variax.

HAMERMAN409

Quote from: scratch17 on August 02, 2018, 01:46:35 PM
This is my dream guitar:
https://strandbergguitars.com/product/salen-classic-trans-butterscotch/

Wow - If you had said you wanted a Strandberg Tele I would have said no way but there it is! :-)

scratch17

I love the neck contour. I love 24 frets. I love fanned frets. I love the low overall weight. And I love the Suhr pickups.

Unfortunately Strandberg won't add a trem to the bridge. They say it could potentially be done by a third party but that they won't do it.

Adding a Nu 2 Multi and Lemo jack should be relatively easy.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

chrissuddes

Quote from: Shingles on August 02, 2018, 11:53:03 PM
I just bought one, its a great guitar, good modelled acoustic / nylon guitars but useless (at least to me) synth voices. Cant understand why they didn't add the 13 pin socket but I don't think I'll be taking a chisel to it any day soon )

BladesToyShop

Quote from: chrissuddes on August 17, 2018, 03:06:38 AM
I just bought one, its a great guitar, good modelled acoustic / nylon guitars but useless (at least to me) synth voices. Cant understand why they didn't add the 13 pin socket but I don't think I'll be taking a chisel to it any day soon )

Because, like the 2007 era Fender VG Stratocaster, they installed a subset of the functionality you get in the Boss GP-10 or Roland GR-55 right in the guitar, so there is no need in their mind for the 13-pin interface.

HasseFX

Is there anyone on the list that has tried/succeeded installing a GK3 (or similar) on a Strandberg?
GP-10, Variax JTV-89F, Variax 300 Nylon.
My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

doha1696

I'm so interested on that type of installation on a Strandberg Bowden...
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

RMedel

Hi, I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I successfully installed a GK-3 Pickup to my Strandberg Vintage-Burst Salen which would be the same as installing on a Boden.

I took the original GK-3 mount bracket (See picture) and ground down the round metal portion.  Attached the pickup with the mounting screw to the bracket and then used double stick Acrylic double stick tape to mount the pickup and GK-3 controller.  I purchased the tape from Amazon (Double Stick Eco-Fused Acrylic mounting tape) (See Picture) for $5.99.  The double stick is clear and won't harm the finish of the guitar.  I got the 1/4 inch wide which is the width of the pickup.   

It works great.

Rich

gbr13697

I have a Strandberg/Boss V-BDN (one of only 80 made I believe). The GK pickup looks different to the GK3s I have on other guitars, but it will obviously fit. I was always a bit disappointed and frustrated that there is no 13-pin output.  There are a limited selection of instruments, and the few tunings are mostly just low tunings rather than open tunings that would be more use to me. There is no way to fit the control module conventionally, but RMedal's method looks workable.  I have been struggling to attach a picture, but this link appears to work.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhHrxr16BFGmgb9tc3dsW13R58KD_g?e=8905xH

RMedel

Yes, I've seen this but it was done by Strandberg and the pickup is screwed to the body which I don't want to do.  Mine works perfect and I'm ready to put another one on my Strandberg Salen Butterscotch.

No drilling and the double stick acyrlic tape is clear and sticky and won't harm the finish if you decide to remove it.

godindave

Hello Synth Players,
Just added GK-3 to my Strandbeg Original NX-8.  No screws used.  Used 3M Replaceable clear 1lb 2 sided mounting tape for pup and controller.  Positioned on bass side near middle just past carved body. Working great.
Since 8 string, GK-3 only uses 1st 6 strings. Using mono cable to send guitar to 2 separate units: one more bass eq'd. Other is more mid-treble and using effects.
Next day CORRECTION:  The tape failed quickly after playing with 13-pin cable connection. Kept pulling the controller away from installed spot.  SOooo.... today used the GK-3 2-piece U-shaped bracket to attach the GK-3 to the same basic position at bass end side.  I used the same clear 2-sided removable tap under the bracket to eliminate any slippage. Still leaves plenty of room for left arm comfort and contoured back of guitar to waist fit.  Much more reliable attachment now.