any old discussions of the V-Bass floorboard?

Started by Tony Raven, July 05, 2017, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Raven

A friend was offered a V-Bass. He didn't grab it.  I'm bummed. :(

I don't mean the VB-99, but rather its predecessor (circa 2007) that I can't help but think of as the VB-88 --

It was packaged both with & without pickup, the GK-2B.

Digging through Search has got me only a few passing mentions, everything else being about the 99. I figure it's too scarce to deserve its own subforum, but I'd like to pick up on any experiences (on the off chance another appears).

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18955.msg136178#msg136178

For every Vbass , there are four VG-88's

For every VB-99, there are five VG-99's

For any VG-99 there are 20 GR-55's

Some folks forget the GR-55 has a COSM V-Bass Mode

and many forget the old Roland GR-20 has a firmware update that allows it to become a Bass to PCM Synth box ( like the GR-55

gumtown

I don't think there is anything in the V-Bass unit that the GR-55 can't do as good or better.

It is pretty much Bass modelling with Boss GT-6 era effects.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bassman4d521

I have a V-Bass although I haven't fired it up in years since I got the VB-99.  I suppose if you got a good price (sub 300USD) it might be worth it if you wanted the upright modeling (which the GR-55 unfortunately doesn't have).  As mentioned the effects and amp modeling are ok so if you need a bit more robust effects path it can do the job.  The VB99 is a bit rare now but I do see them about once a month or so on Ebay but they do go fast and are usually in the 800-1000 range.

Tony Raven

Quote from: Elantric on July 05, 2017, 04:36:33 PM
For every Vbass , there are four VG-88's

For every VB-99, there are five VG-99's

For any VG-99 there are 20 GR-55's
Totally makes sense, seeing as for every bassist there's like 500 guitarists.  ;D

The tip for the GR-55 is precious!! It's now under consideration.

Fact is, this is all curiosity & speculation, as I'm a minimalist bassist. The only pedal I've ever used is the Boss LMB-3. Most controls on my former bass amp (Hartke HA4000) were wasted on me. But I got this GK-3B in a trade &, well, you know... ::)

gumtown

I have accumulated a few 'bits and pieces' of gear over the years,
but my 'go to' gigging bass pedals for the last 6 years are
the Roland GR-55 modified with an out/in Loop in series with the Normal bass input,
with a Tech21 Vt-Bass pedal in the loop (SansAmp/Ampeg SVT type analog preamp).

Amps vary from
Home built combo tube preamp (based on Fender Bassman/Alembic design) into a 500 watt class D amp,
with 4 x 6.5" drivers.
or
Marshall MB450H hybrid head + 4x10" and  1x15" cabinets.
or
Marshall VBA400 all tube head + 8x10" cabinet.

or occasionally both Marshall stacks.
as below, you can just see the GR-55 and Vt-Bass pedals too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/