SY-300 - Moody Pads: Three Top-Shelf Poly Pads

Started by Rhcole, May 12, 2017, 12:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

These three pads began with the Faux Hex Pickup patch I posted last night. For all of the daftness of the description that I used to post it (lots of my patches get posted REALLY LATE), there was actually a very deliberate intention behind its design and these three patches. The point was great polyphony, baby! I had a clear concept in mind for how to design a patch that would sound really clean on all but the most dissonant intervals. Faux Hex Patch was actually not my intended first patch. I started out to make these patches, but got inspired to make my own version of a GR-300 type patch. BTW, don't get put-off by my goofy description of FHP, it is a really good hex-type pad. Check it out.

Anyway, these three patches are built on a structure that is very forgiving polyphonically with variations for each patch. They are all fairly dark sounding, in keeping with getting them to work well with intervals and chords. At low volumes they thicken your sound, and as you bring them in they become true pads. "Moody Pad" is the base pad, "Moody Pad 5th" adds a discrete 5th on Osc 1, and "Moody Pad Oct" adds an even more discrete octave above on Osc 1. Each pad sounds a bit different because I optimized for the changes to Osc 1. Ctl 1 holds Osc 1, it is very useful in this series. As I program using an Exp pedal, you should adjust the synth volume to your needs.

I REALLY like these pads, I will use them all constantly.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

MichaelS

Thanks again Rhcole - I keep having to make room on the Sy for your great patches.
I am having trouble with Moody Pad Oct - there is no sound from the Synth section.  I looked to see where you may be controlling the oscs level externally but I could not find anything assigned.  Could you please advise where I should check to turn up the synth level?
Just found it!!!  OSC Mixer/ CH A Level - In case it helps someone else.
Thanks again

Rhcole

Hmmm. That might be because I use an Exp pedal. It might have saved at "0" with the heel down on the pedal.
I haven't experimented to see what settings get saved when the Exp pedal isn't connected, because I use it all of the time now. It might save differently depending on the position of the pedal, yikes!

Thanks for spotting this!