Katana with GT-100

Started by stevef1, March 08, 2017, 07:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevef1

Hi love my katana 100 just asking if anyone has connected a boss gt-100 to their's yet and what method you used, im using the 4 cable method at the moment but think its overkill for what i need.. so was looking to hook it up just as an fx unit in the send and return of the katana any thoughts on settings (inputs outputs etc)

anyway thanks

steve

admin

4 cable method will yield the most flexibility , but some just set GT-100 output mode to "Combo Amp", and feed GT-100 Left Out into Katana 100-112 FX Return.

melodisk

I was thinking to run my gt-100 into the return input of katana, and making the output (combo return)
since the modelling is the same anyways, but would i need to turn of speaker sims to, does the katana
have speaker sim always on feature or are we talking some kind of frfr when running into return input to poweramp  ???

Elantric

Probably want to disable the speaker sims on the GT 100 the katana amp is not a full range amplifier it has its own speakers (essentially a speaker sim) enabled full-time

But use what sounds best to you

melodisk

Lightning fast answer as always,thank  ;)

sikejsudjek

I've just been experimenting with my GT-10 and Katana 112 amp. It should be similar to the gt-10.

With the 4 cable method you have the option of switching out the katana pre amps by switching off the send/return on the gt10/gt100. So if you were using a patch with a pre amp on the gt 100 you could do this.

If you were using the pre amp of the katana, you'd need to switch the send/return back on in the gt100 to route the signal back through it. The gt100 would need to have its preamps switched off for that patch.

As the katana pre amps are better than the gt-10's I'm going to use two live - brown and crunch, with the channel switch cable (so I guess its a 5 cable method now !). For a clean or acoustic simulator sound I'll switch back to the gt-10.

Speaker emulation needs to be off in the gt100, so as you say selecting combo return in the output section should do this. I asked boss what the levels should be and they just said the defaults should be fine. I've got the send/returns at 100 (they will go up to 200), and the output nob all the way round. No idea if the gt100 is the same ?

The real advantage to the 4 cable method is that you can put the distortions/overdrives of the gt100 before the pre amp section of the katana, and the modulations/reverbs/echo afterwards. In the patch chain of the gt100 make sure the send/return is in the correct place. Its location in the chain determines which fx get put before or after the katana's pre amps.

For example the volume pedal of the gt100 can be moved in the chain - before the send/return allows the gain to drop with the volume change, after the send/return simply lowers volume without changing gain.

I was worried that using the gt-10 would spoil the tone of the guitar directly into the katana, but once the levels are correctly set it seems ok (maybe slightly less sustain).

I'm still experimenting with the levels.

melodisk

So you have the send / return at 100/100 and the gt output set to Max at +4 or -10  ? What about placement of noise gate,I suppose it would go first in the chain and then loop after pre effects and before post effect​.  8)

sikejsudjek

Hi - I have the output at -10dbU which the Katana manual shows in the specs as the correct level for input and send/return jacks. I put the output knob on full and it doesn't seem to be giving me any clipping. The GT 10 has two noise gates, so I have one before the send on the guitar input set as low as possible to just remove hum on high gain patches.

I've put overdrives, compression, (and sometimes the volume pedal) before the send/return to the amp, and modulation, echo and reverb after.

Its been a while since I programmed the gt10 and I've just noticed you can check the signal level from clicking on each item in the fx chain - so I might check this to see if it improves the sound quality.

Elantric

I use these third party tools to verify unity gain ( when needed) and minimize clipping  / adjust my levels for proper gain staging / optimized audio levels

Terasound Audio Toolbox

Signal Generator / Oscilloscope
all-sun 3 in1 Oscilloscope with USB Multifunction Digital Scope Multimeter High Precision
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQHFZCY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sikejsudjek

After playing with the gt10 and 4 cables it seems to sound best with send/return on 100, and the master volume knob at 12 o clock. I've kept the guitar input and presence at 0 in the system settings for input, and -10dbu output mode.