Ibanez RG2550Z: GK-3 stock installation + hardcase modification

Started by Ingram_Lue, September 21, 2016, 01:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingram_Lue

Hello everyone :)

This is my first post in VGF.
Just completed GK3 installation on Ibanez RG2550Z and would like to share my story here.
I'm not an native English speaker but I'll try to make it comprehensible.

GK3 stock installation (the way described in GK3 manual) is a bit difficult for guitars with dual side tremolo system and pickguard.  Also it is a common problem that after modification, guitar will be difficult place back to its original hard case.  To make things happen, I saw many of us modified guitar and integrated GK3 and its electronics directly into guitar body. It is the ultimate solution. But too bad for me, I don't have such resources to do that. I have to modify the pickguard and hard case to make my poor 2550Z midi capable.

I measured the interval of pickup to the bridge looks like it is wide enough to place GK3 pickup as instructed, however the pickguard is too thick, I have to cut it off.

I place the GK3 pickup in position and mark the outline on the pickguard.
GK3 pickup is also too long that one side of GK3 pickup screw pad is close to the upper pick guard screw area. I have to cut plastic on GK3 to make the pickguard sustainable to the follow up cut off. In this way, I have only 1 side of screw available to make GK3 permanent installation. 

Then remove the strings, knobs and pickguard screws, place guitar on its hard case, then start carving those marker with a Swiss army knife. Use a plastic thing to ensure the carve is straight in the beginning.

Carve a while and lift the pickguard up to see if the trench is deep enough reaching the aluminum foil layer (back side of the pickguard), until the blocks to be removed is very lightly attached. Then remove it carefully with a utility knife.

Do not use scissors as it may crack the guard (look at the right side of my modified area here, should be a sharp corner but I used scissors, it cracked...)

A little scratch but it can be covered by the GK3 cable. Not bad for a Swiss knife work.
Now GK3 should be easily placed on RG2550 as instructed in manual.

I place a plastic plate (included in GK3 package) to adjust the pickup height optimized to the string. Then use the included sticker to mount GK3 on guitar body. It is already very firm and stable so I did not use screws here, saved another drill on my guitar.

The rest are easy now, get the black plastic brick installed on the tail and strap holder stuff, then string up.
Finally get my RG2550Z ready to roll.

However there is another problem now, I need to make my guitar back to my hard case.
The modified guitar actually can be placed back to the hard case, the seated site of case is soft enough to bend and fit the installed GK controller alone. The problem is the cover side. I need to expand the cover side to make the case able to close up.

First I used a plastic pad (the kind used in laptop repair) to get the upper cushion out of the hard case.

Do not pull hard as the cushion fill is totally made of foam, glued on the hard shell.
Below pic marks the glue position on the hard case:

Twist the case cover gently to loosen the glued area,  then take out upper cushion out from hard case undamaged.

Then I removed some foam with a utility knife as shown below. Cut carefully, do not damage the fur layer. Actually after cut off the break lines, I push the foam from the other side, make it broken into small pieces. Glues are applied to attach fur layer to the foam, so small pieces make foam easier separating from the fur layer.

Before install modified upper cushion back to the hard case, you can put it on guitar to see if it fits perfectly. I did not apply glues when put it back, as it is already very firm.

Finally here we are, a modified RG2500Z, and a hard case perfectly fit :)
See below pic, the fur layer is not changed but the foams are away. Now case still looks nicely as before, and can close comfortably after GK3 installed.