GK3 internal kit on a cheap Strat guitar model

Started by music_fox, July 17, 2016, 02:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_fox

Hi,
I would like to install an GK3 internal kit on a cheap Strat model. I am interested in a Squier Bullet or Affinity Strat, but found out, that the body height is only 1 ½" instead of typically 1 ¾" (e.g. Fender Strat).
So it could be a problem to get the GK-13 Pin jack installed in the frame like shown on the picture below (found this picture in this forum from burningyen).

Does someone has a proposal for a cheap Strat model which I can use for my purpose?

As I will only use the GK3-Pickup together with my GP10, the quality of the installed PU´s is not so important. But does the quality of the used wood of the body/neck will have a major impact on the sound quality when using the GK3 only?

Headless68

The wood will matter less than the quality of the fret work which is normally low quality on affinity for sure - buzzing will affect quality of modelling / midi conversion (or stock guitar sounds for that matter)

I wanted a thin profile on a custom I built last year, the guitar is 35.7mm (1.40 inches) thick at the point the 13pin socket is and I used the std one in the GK3 kit - there are smaller (better) sockets available here from one of the members Gumbo

here is the link

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

HecticArt

If you're dedicated to getting a Fender Strat, look for made in Mexico or Japan Stratocaster (not a Squire.) The build quality is better and will hold together longer than a Squire. A big part of it depends on how "cheap" you want this guitar to be.

If you looking for more inexpensive than cheap, see if you can find any Reverend guitars in your area(even used.)
I'm a big fan. I like them better than my Stratocasters. Very high quality, professional level guitars at a non-premium price. I'm in the process of putting an internal kit in one of my Reverends. It's taking me forever though, because I can't stop playing it long enough to do the work.

Elantric

Internal GK-KIT-GT3 installation still requires a fair amount of woodwork and using the right tools
Myself Id search for a gently used Roland Ready Strat

But I'm handy with electronics and know how to swap necks and setup guitar

Used Fender Roland Ready Strats often sold on Ebay for $350