Busking Power Supply & Presentation

Started by Chumly, June 16, 2016, 08:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

I'm thinking of doing some busking (if I can keep the costs consequentially lower than the benefits).

I have the opportunity to buy a used Roland KC-110 battery powered keyboard amplifier for a decent price, and the reviews look promising, but it has its limitations compared to other options.

I could get a Roland Cube Street EX but it's a fairly pricey piece for such a singular use, and since I have so much other gear sitting around, I am not sure if it would be worth getting the Roland Cube Street EX.  All I would need is an RV deep cycle battery, or perhaps the Power Force Personal Power Supply http://www.costco.ca/Power-Force-Lithium-Ion-Jump-Starter-and-Personal-Power-Supply.product.100232912.html or some other source that can supply enough amp-hours at the rated voltage.  I have a few true sine wave inverters plus everything else I might need except a 12 volt supply.

Any thoughts on using a 12 volt RV battery, or possibly UPS batteries, or possibly motorcycle  batteries plus an inverter or perhaps a 12 volt automotive jump starter plus an inverter, or perhaps some other source that would allow me to add whatever I might want at any time (iPad, looper, guitar synth, mic, mixer, etc.)?

I have looked around the 'net and battery / inverter combos are in use for busking, but can be unwieldy. I'm not sure about the viability of a 12 volt automotive jump starter plus an inverter or other options. I do have an AUKEY 20000mAh Power Bank that could power some items, but of course it would be problematic with devices rated for 120 volts and/or devices with VA requirements not met by the AUKEY Power Bank.

I would be taking all the proceeds and donating them to nonprofits that support promote scientific literacy, a secular worldview and environmental awareness, and if you have any views on how best to present and promote that aspect, it would be appreciated.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'll be buying a motorcycle battery (or two) for my motorcycles so I suppose they could serve multiple duties.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

QuoteI have looked around the 'net...
Ah yes, I've viewed what you refer to, and did so before I posted. I do thank you for your kind input.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

Its a moving target with Battery technology changing weekly - what worked best in 2009 is now "stale"

Myself i use a Roland Cube Street EX

and Roland BA-330 for PA
http://www.roland.com/products/ba-330/

and lots of Maha Powerex NiMH AA Batteries
https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MHRAA4-2700mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00A9KTPY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466107949&sr=8-1&keywords=Maha+NiMH+AA+Batteries

Chumly

For years I've been using Panasonic Eneloop for a lot of my higher draw battery operated stuff, but alas most of them are now close to DOA and thus would not be suitable for busking.

Right you are about change over time and why I thought it might be interesting to hear from others that have a tech-slant, that plus the notion of costs vs. gains and the proceeds (what there may be of them) to non-profits.

I've got three deep cycle batteries and I was considering pressing one into service only to find all three are long past the time they can hold a decent charge for busking.  I still have two true sine wave inverters, both capable of providing a goodly amount of VA (used for camping and emergency home power). 

Elantric

If I was buying today, I might consider this rig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281883423677?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

on rear of each cab are DC banana plug receptacles for attaching a user supplied deep cycle 12VDC Battery and a battery condition LED meter

Chumly

That is a stunning amount of tech for the cost! It would be very interesting to see how well it all performs.

gumtown

Can you pedal a bike powered generator and play at the same time?
That would sort you power supply needs..   ;D

! No longer available
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Chumly

Well let's see, a healthy human can sustain about 1/10 HP, and there is 746 Watts per HP.  If we assume an efficiency of oh-say 50% from the prime mover (me) to the load (PA system), then the apparent power provided to the PA amp would be 37.3 VA.  If we then assume a power factor of of-say 80%, then the true power available to the PA amp would be 29.8 W.

Then have to figure out the efficiency of the PA amp's class D amplifier, which depends on it's power level. I'll assume 50% which then means the power available to the transducers is 14.9 W.

Then we gotta figure out the efficiency of the transducers, and that's where I'm gonna stop because not only am I hungry, but I'm damn well tired of this here pedaling.

Elantric

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YC2FGB?psc=1

Ultra High Capacity: 42000mAh capacity enables charging all kinds of smart devices, Laptops, household appliances, provide sufficient power to your devices all day. Included AC/DC adapter will charge the unit itself within 6-7 hours
Four USB Ports and One DC Output: Charge 4 smart USB-devices simultaneously with 3.1A(Max) charging speed. The DC output (12V/10A Max) is designed for your household appliances like headlamps, fans and more
2 Powerful AC Outlets: 2 powerful built-in AC outlets will provide a continuous power output 200W (Peak 250W) to any of your 100V-220V standard electric product, you will always get access to power outlet and power your laptop anytime when on business or travel
Portable to Use: Ideal for travel, home or office use, compact design and easy storage, transport and use. Included international adapter allows the power bank to work in any country around the globe
Safety Certified: Contains the highest quality available lithium-ion battery cells, UL safety certified component (ICR18650-26++), CE, FCC, RoHS certified. Approved for airline travel. OCP/OVP/Short Circuit Protection/ Auto Power Off Protection

Tony Raven

O, dear...
Quote from: Chumly on June 16, 2016, 08:54:57 AMAll I would need is an RV deep cycle battery, or perhaps the Power Force Personal Power Supply or some other source that can supply enough amp-hours at the rated voltage.  I have a few true sine wave inverters plus everything else I might need except a 12 volt supply. ... Any thoughts on using a 12 volt RV battery, or possibly UPS batteries, or possibly motorcycle  batteries plus an inverter or perhaps a 12 volt automotive jump starter plus an inverter, or perhaps some other source that would allow me to add whatever I might want at any time (iPad, looper, guitar synth, mic, mixer, etc.)? ... I have looked around the 'net and battery / inverter combos are in use for busking, but can be unwieldy. I'm not sure about the viability of a 12 volt automotive jump starter plus an inverter or other options. I do have an AUKEY 20000mAh Power Bank that could power some items, but of course it would be problematic with devices rated for 120 volts and/or devices with VA requirements not met by the AUKEY Power Bank. ... I would be taking all the proceeds and donating them to nonprofits that support promote scientific literacy, a secular worldview and environmental awareness, and if you have any views on how best to present and promote that aspect, it would be appreciated. ... Oh, I almost forgot, I'll be buying a motorcycle battery (or two) for my motorcycles so I suppose they could serve multiple duties.
Seriously overthinking it, dude. :o Piling cost upon complexity upon more damned wires upon portability

Two/three years back, I was going off for a weekend jam at a friend's farm. Being a "belt & suspenders" sort of guy, I wanted backup in case a severe storm (standard event up here) took down the power, & so we could at least have radio & keep our phones charged & whatnot.

Went to Walmart, paid $100 for a Schumacher-brand "HD" jump-starter & power pack. It has a 120VAC port, a 12VDC port, & four USB ports. Has worked like a champ since, including getting my frozen Jeep started four times this winter.

That model seems to be off the market; the current XP2260 ($129) sacrifices most USB ports (& the spiffy little worklight) but gives you two each of the AC & DC. Plus, it'll start your car AND inflate your football. ;D

Hurricane

8) Thanks for the input  .

:D ¿ What appliances did you operate and for how long ?

EZ :

HR