GT100 -Using the GT-8 Brilliance PDF Manual Settings with gt-100/001

Started by hvymtl69, April 01, 2015, 06:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvymtl69

Hello all. I have been playing for many years but am a relatively new user of the gt-100 and gt-001. I have been trying to learn the ins and outs of the units and have been reading as much as I can. I have downloaded the gt-8 brilliance doc and was wondering if most of the ideal settings for that unit carry over to the 100/001. Some specifics are the "for Starters" section at the very beginning where it states:

1) Set the output/select to line/phones. It's the only mode that uses the mic & speaker sims
2) Set you global EQ to lo +5 mid +5 & high +5 this will give it life
3) When you are using high gain patches, don't use the -original for the speaker sim

PATCH LEVEL - >100 ALWAYS!
AMP EQ - 50% EVERYTHING!
GT-8 EQ - START AT 50% THEN ADJUST ACCORDINGLY
OUTPUT LEVEL(black knob on back of GT-8) - JUST PAST HALFWAY
GT-8 PREAMP GAIN (Cleans) 25-35%
GT-8 PREAMP GAIN (rectifier sims) 25-40% max
GT-8 PREAMP GAIN (high gain models) 50-80%
PREAMP LEVEL> 50-60%
GAIN SW>MEDIUM 80% of the time
GT-8 EQ, TREBLE,MID,BASS- 50% starting point

These are the types of things I am trying to figure out and was wondering if they do work for the GT100/001. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks so much, Anthony

Elantric

IMHO - Yes

But there are no hard/ fast Rules- use your ears once you gain more experience

Also read ALL the other COSM Reference docs here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.msg141#msg141

hvymtl69

Hi elantric. Thanks for the info. I did find that reference page but thanks. I have been reading a lot of your and gumtowns posts and they are an excellent help. I appreciate it very much. It seems to me that it depends what I am plugged into. Unfortunately my main amp, a Johnson Amplification Half stack is being repaired. I'm having a problem with the display on the head so I'm using some other amps and powered speakers I have around. Going through my Randall its a bit too muffled sounding. I have a line 6 spyder IV and didn't care for that combo either. So far the best combination I have come up with is a small set of Alesis studio monitors. Once I get my half stack back from my amp guy Ill be golden as I am going to set it up through that. I haven't ran it through that as Ive only had the Boss for a few weeks and hes had my amp for a month. That amp is like having a built in effects rack as its basically a Digitech 2201 tube preamp with digital modeling effects built in. I think the boss combine with the Johnson should sound excellent. Thanks again for the help, Anthony.

Elantric

Good luck with your Johnson Amp

QuoteSo far the best combination I have come up with is a small set of Alesis studio monitors

Correct - and FWIW - moving forward, many of us here have migrated to using the DSP Modeling gear we talk about here straight into the PA and/or use In Ear monitors with very low onstage volume -   and only power up our Tube Guitar Amp collection on rare occasions.

Instead I use Full range powered PA cabs or light flat response amps

Read the recommended amps here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7803.0

gumtown

I would only use the line/phones mode for a flat response full range system (FRFR) like monitors or PA.
You don't want cab/mic sims on a guitar amp/speaker which ihas cabinet compensation already built in (which means limited frequency response compared to a FRFR system).

The GT-100/001 global EQ doesn't need as much low/hi boost, just the mid.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

hvymtl69

Thanks so much to both of you. That really helps out so much. The biggest thing Im finding is the output choice really does make a big difference. I wish there was a way to select which output method to use on each preset. Say Roland for this patch, small combo this patch etc and have it change as the patch changes. Im already seeing the route you guys use is the route I think I am going to be going, looking into some larger powered monitors as my monitors are smallish, and using the amps on occasion and more with my pedalboard setup. Every bit of info helps. I ended up getting a good heavy distortion sound down this afternoon. I appreciate the help. Anthony

gumtown

The GT-100 does have an option to use "output select" mode as a system global setting, or
if you set the output select mode option to "patch",
there are patch based settings for output select. (in a different place).

So you can have your cake and eat it too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

hvymtl69

Quote from: gumtown on April 01, 2015, 07:23:32 PM
The GT-100 does have an option to use "output select" mode as a system global setting, or

OK so your saying there is indeed a global setting that allows me to select what output type to use for each patch and I would select what output device in the patches menu? (I use Tone Central editor on my laptop to edit my patches)

Elantric

QuoteThe GT-100 does have an option to use "output select" mode as a system global setting, or

Gumtown - can this same concept be used with the GR-55 as well?

gumtown

Quote from: Elantric on April 02, 2015, 10:21:39 AM
Gumtown - can this same concept be used with the GR-55 as well?
The GR-55 only has the one Global/System setting.

Ratiug

The GT8 brilliance pdf says "Patch Level" 100% always
Are they refering to the Patch Level knob or the Master Patch Level( accessed throught the Master button) that goes from 0 - 200?

admin

Quote from: Ratiug on August 22, 2017, 09:55:57 AM
The GT8 brilliance pdf says "Patch Level" 100% always
Are they refering to the Patch Level knob or the Master Patch Level( accessed throught the Master button) that goes from 0 - 200?

IMHO use Patch Level on GT-100 at "100" on a scale of 0-200 - in this manner you have margin to adjust the patches to desired levels

Some want all their patches to be the same level

Myself - i typically allocate my "Lead / Solo patches to be louder than my Rhythm patches