GP-10 - How do I assign multiple changes by activating control 1 (or 2,3 or 4)

Started by homeby5, January 08, 2015, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeby5

By now many realize I am new at this. I have been playing a little tonight trying to understand more of how the controls work.

Here is what I want to do...
With Control 1 on, I want a natural clean amp, no delay, no chorus, alternate tuning (with capo at the 7th fret). When I turn Control 1 off, I want to change my amp to JC-120, turn OFF alternate tuning, and activate a Delay, Reverb, Overdrive pedal.

Basically, think of Hotel California....with control 1 "on" I want to play the 12 string part and with control 1 "off" I want to play the lead part. Is this possible? I have been reading the book and have been playing around but I am having difficulty understanding the "assign" features. I would appreciate any and all help :)

Brent Flash

It is with the VG-99 https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1509.0 but that does not help you much does it.  ;)

If you get hung up you can get the VG-99 editor working and look how I have my presets set up for HC.

Litesnsirens

I know in the GR-55 you can't change amp models using the assigns but you can change the whether the gain is set to lo, mid or hi.  I also own a GP-10 so I can check tomorrow I'm at work now ad doubt I will get to it tonight when I get home.  But I don't think this should be too much of a deterrent either way, since you can easily use the JC-120 as your natural clean amp or if you are talking about the first sound being an acoustic sound in which case I would just bypass the amp altogether and turn the amp "off".
after that use as series of control assigns to turn off the alt tuning, turn on the delay, chorus and overdrive.  If you are doing an acoustic amp you will set another control assign to change from acoustic to your choice of electric for the lead, and another to turn the amp on.
so the way to do this, assuming you are going acoustic to electric
you'll need 5 or 6 ctrl assigns
assign them all to control pedal 1, latch mode
assign your delay chorus and overdrive (and Possibly amp switch) to min = on and max = off
assign the alt tuning to min = off and max equals on.

If your idea is a 12 string electric sound, don't bother making a control assign for the amp just leave it to on.  You may want to set up a control assign for the solo switch (in the amp section) 

If you are going acoustic 12 string to electric 6 string for the solo .. you'll need a control assign for switching between the acoustic and electric models so min = electric (les paul, strat whatever) and max equals steel (whatever acoustic sound you choose).

This is all assuming you want the Control 1 on (red light on) for the acoustic and or 12 string sound.

homeby5

So I can use another editor (VG-99) and look at the setup without actually having the hardware?

supernicd

You should definitely be able to do that.  Can't do it right now but if no one beats me to it I'll work you up an example patch to open in Boss Tone Central and look at a bit later.

I was almost certain you could change the amp type on the GR-55 using assigns too.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteSo I can use another editor (VG-99) and look at the setup without actually having the hardware?

read

Patch Cloning
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

and

read all docs here:
Roland COSM Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

GlennDeLaune

Quote from: homeby5 on January 08, 2015, 07:07:18 PM
By now many realize I am new at this. I have been playing a little tonight trying to understand more of how the controls work.

Here is what I want to do...
With Control 1 on, I want a natural clean amp, no delay, no chorus, alternate tuning (with capo at the 7th fret). When I turn Control 1 off, I want to change my amp to JC-120, turn OFF alternate tuning, and activate a Delay, Reverb, Overdrive pedal.

Basically, think of Hotel California....with control 1 "on" I want to play the 12 string part and with control 1 "off" I want to play the lead part. Is this possible? I have been reading the book and have been playing around but I am having difficulty understanding the "assign" features. I would appreciate any and all help :)

This is Totally Doable  using the assign in Tone Studio.
Assign 1 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the "Amp" "Type" from Natural Clean to JC-120.
Assign 2 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the Chorus On/Off
Assign 3 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the Delay On/Off
Assign 4 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the Alt Tuning On/Off
Assign 5 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the Reverb On/Off
Assign 6 would be set for CTL 1 to Toggle the FX On/Off

Now take it a step further:
Use Assign 7 would be set for CTL 2 to Toggle the Amp Solo On/Off for the lead section of Hotel.

Make sure in the CTL/EXP menu that ALL CTL1, CTL2, CTL3, CTL4 are set to "Patch" and LED On/Off
Glenn Delaune
Website  l  Youtube Channel

supernicd

What Glenn DeLaune said. :)  If you're still having any trouble, here's an example to take a look at.  It wasn't clear if you wanted chorus also with CTRL 1 off, so I left that out but I think you'll see how to add it if needed now.  You'll also notice that the volumes are pretty far apart with CTRL 1 off vs on, so you can fix that with another assign to change the amp volume, or you could possible just turn the level down on the OD.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

I just got home from work and I want to thank you guys for all the help ;D. I will try to mess with it and see how this goes and I'll let ya'll know if I have any more issues. AS I said, I am kind of new at this and the manual leaves a little bit to be desired from a newbie standpoint.

supernicd

Quote from: homeby5 on January 09, 2015, 04:14:50 PM
I just got home from work and I want to thank you guys for all the help ;D. I will try to mess with it and see how this goes and I'll let ya'll know if I have any more issues. AS I said, I am kind of new at this and the manual leaves a little bit to be desired from a newbie standpoint.

It does.  It's quite a lot to swallow until you get used to it.  But soon you'll be a pro.  The assings are very powerful.  Worth spending the time getting to know them.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 09, 2015, 05:15:51 PM
It does.  It's quite a lot to swallow until you get used to it.  But soon you'll be a pro.  The assings are very powerful.  Worth spending the time getting to know them.
OK....After playing around for about an hour and a half, I'm obviously am confused as hell. Let me keep it simple with only two functions and see if you can teach m something.

OK...I started from an INIT Patch #98 because I wanted to comprehend the controls and how they worked. With NO CONTROL ON (CTRL 1 is NOT lit), I set the default model to a Core metal Amp and I turned on the NS and an OD FX pedal. Worked Fine. I then decided to make control 1 change the Amp to Natural clean, turn on the 12 string model, turn on Alt tuning (capo 7) and turn OFF the NS and OD pedal. I first went under the CTR/GK/EXP and set CTRL1 to ALT/Tune ON/OFF and tested this function and this works and turns my Control 1 light on and off. I then set up my assigns to accomplish changing the AMP, disabling the OD pedal and disable the NS pedal but nothing changes at all when I step on CTRL 1. Control one has no effect with the assigns. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Thanks a bunch :)

supernicd

I assume you set the sources for each of those assigns to CTRL 1?  Without looking at it that'd be the obvious thing to check.  Also make sure you change the source mode from momentary to toggle.  I think it defaults to momentary.  If you leave it on "momentary" as soon as you release your foot from CTRL 1, everything will switch back.  IE it wlil only make the change while you hold CTRL 1 down.

If you're still having trouble, can you save and upload your patch here so that we can see what's going on with it?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

homeby5

Yeah, I did the above........Any other ideas? I did check the .tsl's that others have posted in this thread and my device works for that. I'm just trying simple stuff so I get the understanding and concept down. This shouldn't be that difficult, huh?

supernicd

Like with everything else, the first time you get something to work is the hardest.  Then it starts getting  easier.  Can you either save and post your patch in a tsl file, or post a screen shot of your assign settings in Boss Tone Central?  That would make it easier to help you out.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

DML

Quote from: homeby5 on January 09, 2015, 05:51:46 PM
OK....After playing around for about an hour and a half, I'm obviously am confused as hell. Let me keep it simple with only two functions and see if you can teach m something.

OMG!! Why not make two different patches and program them next to each other so it's just a matter of pushing Patch up and/ or down?! Then you would be ready in 5 minutes and spending the other 85 minutes on playing yer guitar!!  :D
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

supernicd

Quote from: DML on January 10, 2015, 05:51:40 AM
OMG!! Why not make two different patches and program them next to each other so it's just a matter of pushing Patch up and/ or down?! Then you would be ready in 5 minutes and spending the other 85 minutes on playing yer guitar!!  :D

That would totally work here, but I'm sticking with my story that learning the assign system is well worth the time spent.  There are lots of things you can do with assigns that can't be accomplished with a patch change.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

hading

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 10, 2015, 06:51:55 AM
That would totally work here, but I'm sticking with my story that learning the assign system is well worth the time spent.  There are lots of things you can do with assigns that can't be accomplished with a patch change.

Not to mention that if you decide later that you want to make further changes that should be common to the two you have to remember to do it in two places.

Toby Krebs

Look up Glenns old Boss GT10 video about using assigns. I never could grasp it until I watched that about 5 times.All the Boss - Roland units sort of work the same.

Thanks Glenn!

DML

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 10, 2015, 06:51:55 AM

Not to mention that if you decide later that you want to make further changes that should be common to the two you have to remember to do it in two places.

Learning the assign system while having a GR-55 and VG-99? I'm sorry, but the assign system is, when it comes to Roland and Boss, for years and years the same. If it comes to real time expression, yes, you are right that you can do more than with a patch change. But when it comes to switching between some parametervalues, no, you are not right, since you are limited by the number of assignments.
Why should you bother to remember what you have changed in two places when you have the editor?  :)
But hey, don't let me stop you on this  ;)
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

supernicd

Quote from: DML on January 10, 2015, 11:43:55 AM
If it comes to real time expression, yes, you are right that you can do more than with a patch change.

Exactly.  But what better way to learn complex expression assignments than to start with something simple like this to get the hang of how it works?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

Roland / Boss VG/GT/GR gear has implemented Control Assigns for 25 years

To get the most from the latest Roland gear - Learn how to use those Control concepts from the start by reading the numerous user created docs for the earlier Roland units here:

Roland COSM Reference Library
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Quotef you want to obtain more incite and better explanations of how Roland gear works - review the OWNERS MANUALS for the earliest examples of current gear.

For example the GR-55 and GP-10 Owners Manuals sinply list all the various FX functions and Control Features, but totally omit any explanation or examples of how to actually use these controls or how they interact.

Here is the 1999 Roland VG-88 Owners Manual  - ITS A MUST READ!  - it lays a better foundation with explanations of how the Internal Wave Pedal and Expression Pedal Min/Max FX range,Assign Hold, etc,  work.
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/1811457/VG-88_e5.pdf

Boss_GT-8 Brilliance.pdf
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=464

Boss_GT-x_Set-up_v02.pdf
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=462

More tips which are equally useful on the VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10
http://www.xycl.de/en/guitar-effects/boss-gt.html

homeby5

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 10, 2015, 04:57:18 AM
Like with everything else, the first time you get something to work is the hardest.  Then it starts getting  easier.  Can you either save and post your patch in a tsl file, or post a screen shot of your assign settings in Boss Tone Central?  That would make it easier to help you out.
Thanks. May be I can post something here later.

Also....thanks for posting Glenn's video. I will give that a whirl :)

homeby5

Ok.....Let's make this the most basic of examples. I started with a clean default patch (#99 init). I simply am trying to toggle the "FX" on and off with the CTRL 1 switch. I followed the basic instructions from this thread and it doesn't work.....Do I have to "activate" my assigns or something?
Also, why doesn't the CTRL 1 light not work unless I go to the CTRL/GK/EXP button and select one of the drop down selections? Suppose I don't want one of them selections tied to the CTRL1....
Also, can someone please instruct me how to attach a screen shot to this forum...I go to manage attachments and select my screenshot file but I can't find how to insert it in the post after choosing the file? There is no "insert" button. I am pretty familiar with forum software engines and I don't have any issues with this simple request on other forums. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks guys. I feel like an idiot trying to accomplish the most basic of functions and cannot believe this is so difficult. I must be overlooking something basic.

Elantric

Read Forum FAQ here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=23.0

Upload and share your problem patch

So we can fix it and teach

Also many factory GP10 patches already accomplish this

Try load them into BTS and learn from those examples
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11698.0

homeby5

Quote from: Elantric on January 11, 2015, 12:23:52 PM
Read Forum FAQ here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=23.0

Upload and share your problem patch

So we can fix it and teach

Also many factory GP10 patches already accomplish this

Try load them into BTS and learn from those examples
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11698.0

I see the threads.....but I am asking how to attach a file that I have selected. It is not too large.