interface GP-10 with Mac osx for program changes with 5 pin midi foot controller

Started by merman93, July 19, 2014, 07:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

A bit of help please,...
Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated, gave up last night, returned after a good nights sleep, but that didn't help.

So, no problems at all with GP-10 Boss Studio Tone etc.

I am trying to set up my M-Audio uno usb midi interface with my Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro to change GP-10 patches and basically integrate into the system I already have.

Let me be honest, this Midi Utility has always frustrated me, and I have had a tech come set up my entire recording system when I had to add USB Midi stuff for the FTP.

This is a Mac book Air that has never had any Midi setup done in Midi/Audio Utility other than the GP-10 last night, and that seems correct. Driver installed Added device and connected the 2 in Midi setup. Boss Studio works great, Breif Test Recording in Garageband of Audio and Midi seems correct.

I plug in my Uno via Usb and see it in midi setup. Connect the physical Midi cable to the Ground Control Midi out, (to be technical, It is connected to a thru in a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru after the GCP's midi out connects to another Switcher that sends power to operate the GCP).

Using Midi Monitor, I see the data flow correctly when I select a patch on the GCP, (Program Change/Channel 1/Data 1, selects patch on KPA, Program Change/Channel 3/Data 46, selects patch on Alesis midi verb 4, as well as control data for port/vol/trem etc), and as its a thru, the original Data is still actually changing the patches as required on the KPA, midiverb etc.

Im not sure how to get the midi program change data to the GP-10.

in the Midi/Audio setup utility in Mac OSX, I've tried dragging connections between the GP-10, and the Uno, with no luck.

I created a new device for the GCP and dragged connections between the UNO and GCP, (advice from another forum), then dragged connections between the GP-10 and the GCP. no luck, so dragged connections between UNO and GP-10, no luck.

I am not embarrassed to say I don't understand how this works. I know Monday I can have my tech come over and do it, but Id like to get this integration done and get something accomplished over the weekend other than just playing, (which is solo fun, but I need to get this done).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

Learning OSX IAC DRIVER is key knowledge to accomplish that.

Some basics of the IAC driver explained here:
https://sites.google.com/site/mfalab/mac-stuff/how-to-use-the-iac-driver

Often the DAW app (Logic, Ableton, Mainstage, provides separate tools using an external MIDI foot controller to control the DAW( and hosted AU/VSTIs ) and external hardware synths.

merman93

Just a little complicated for me,,, don't want to set up a DAW on THIS mac, all I wanted was to be able to integrate program changes coming from my footcontroller to change patches on GP-10.

Although My other Macs have Logic, as well as Main Stage etc. I know I don't need to have Logic operating to have my FCB 1010 change patches when using my FTP, ( FCB 1010 connected via m-Audio Uno also).

I just checked on that mac and I don't have any connections to or from the IAC driver, it isn't even turned on, ( unchecked box Device on-line). However, all this usb/midi stuff is Chinese to me, and has been since I had to use it for the FTP.

If it was something simple id work on it, but weekend too short to get even more frustrated, I'll just wait until Monday and have my tech set it up. He will probably laugh at me, and have it setup in 5 minutes.

But I do appreciate your help, it was worth a look.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Spider

Elantric

QuoteI just checked on that mac and I don't have any connections to or from the IAC driver, it isn't even turned on, ( unchecked box Device on-line). However, all this usb/midi stuff is Chinese to me, and has been since I had to use it for the FTP.

Correct, the IAC Driver is a blank resource by default, to accomplish your goal.
Google "OSX IAC MIDI HARDWARE CONFIGURATION"

----

Audio MIDI Setup - Sound On Sound
www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/applenotes_1108.htm
Managing MIDI devices in OS X is pretty simple thanks to the Audio MIDI Setup ... such as IAC Driver and Network, and any additional hardware MIDI devices ...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/applenotes_1108.htm?print=yes

Spider

Or ... connect M-Audio with GP-10 inside MIDI Setup like below (use yours devices of course):

Elantric

merman93

Thanks for the tips everyone,... I'll post later when I get back and give it another try!!!!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

:-[ :-[ This is why I'm soo frustrated. i have to be doing something wrong.
See screen shot, i connected GP-10 to M-Audio Uno interface rescanned midi, still nothing.
i tried several other ways that others have suggested too, creating 2 new devices and connecting one to M-Audio, the other to GP-10, then connecting to each other, but nothing.

I can't find how to select M-Audio as midi input in Tone Studio.

I disconnected and reconnected the GP-10 USB, and it Tone Studio asks to choose device, either GP-10 or M-audio but each time i select M-Audio it won't accept that selection, if I choose GP-10 it connects immediately.

There has to be something setup wrong but i am clueless.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

And this screen shot of midi monitor showing the program change data is flowing.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Spider

Spider

merman93

I've done something seriously wrong.

Tone studio shows M-Audio and GP-10 as available but won't connect to GP-10.

Turned GP-10 off/On Macbook off/on. Tone Studio off/on, still won't connect.

I give up.

Thanks everybody for all the help but obviously Ive got a case of the Tards today.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Spider

If you connect GCP to Maudio ( GPC MIDI OUT to Maudi MIDI IN), then connect Maudio and GP-10 via USB you should have 2 MIDIs.
So... download MIDI Pipe, instal it and make connection like I show earlier.

MIDI Input: Maudio
MIDI Out: GP-10.

Don't use and use Tone Studio during test period. It will work.

Spider

I hope you have installed driver for GP-10.

MIDI Pipe: http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

merman93

Quote from: Spider on July 19, 2014, 02:17:55 PM

So... download MIDI Pipe, instal it and make connection like I show earlier.

Spider you tha MAN !! Ok this works.

I can use this as is, but I'm still frustrated as ever about what is wrong with midi setup. I had peeps at an Apple Midi forum sending screen shots back and forth, and even let a guy remote in, but can't get it too work like it should.

But, midi pipe works and is exactly,EXACTLY, what I wanted. Now, I can start setting up permanent performance patches, where Kemper, midiverb, and GP-10 all are linked to my Ground Control Pro.

Thank you all, especially Spider !!!!!!!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

MusicOverGear

http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/

If the task is just to echo midi from controller out to device in, Midi Patchbay software is the easiest I've found. It was reliable and stable with my setup.

-

MIDI Patchbay
Download
MIDI patchbay lets you hook up your various pieces of MIDI software and hardware and pass MIDI data between them, applying assorted filters on the way. Things like key splits, MIDI channel remapping, transposition, etc. are simple.

If you want to tinker, you can find the source code on GitHub.

Released
5 June 2008
Version
Requirements
Mac OS X 10.4 or later

Spider

You can use Minimost Modular  http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/plugins/Minihost%20Modular.htm, it is more graphical MIDI routing app but any way need some knowledge. But... it is very big and powerful VST/MIDI/Audio hosting tool.

merman93

Actually, installing the midipipe app and setting up as you described is just what I needed, extremely simple, and just works.

This particular setup is for live playing, and I just wanted to integrate the GP-10 as if it had an actual 5 pin Midi in/out. This seems as close as I could ever get.

But, I saved the link to mini most modular for other setups in the future. Thanks
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

admin

as a followup  - today most folks seek a PrimovaSound MIDX-20 to accomplish MIDI control of GP-10, GT-001
http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html