QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI Controller

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2014, 11:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

GuitarBuilder

Sorry!  I completely forgot.  Yes, it works and I'll post pics this weekend.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

whippinpost91850

GuitarBuilder

OK - here it is as promised:

First, get a MIDI (male-male) cable with removable connectors.  I used the Hosa 3 foot cable; if you can find one, get a male-female cable - you won't need the female-female adapter.  Next  find a USB cable (type A to B is fine).  Also obtain a 5V AC to USB adapter and a Hosa female-female MIDI adapter.

Cut the USB cable to get a length you desire with the Type A plug at the end; strip and tin the red and black wires:

Remove the screw from one of the MIDI connectors and slide the housing/strain relief back onto the cable to expose the solder connections.  Thread the USB red and black wires (or use an extension wire like I did) through the strain relief and housing.  Solder the red wire to the pin marked "5" and the black wire to pin "2":

Slide the pin assembly back into the housing and replace the screw.  The final assembly should look like this:

To use this with the QuiccoSound insert the MIDI cable between the MIDI OUT of the device and the QuiccoSound MIDI plug with "Up" arrow, using a Hosa female-female MIDI adapter.  Plug in the USB adapter and voila!

admin

http://quicco.co.jp/products/
Quicco Sound mi.1 by Katsunori Ujiie

https://www.youtube.com/user/musictrackjp/videos
Supplementary information regarding musictrack review video

1. Connecting the Yamaha Reface and Roland JX-03
It may appear that the two instruments are connected to each other directly, however, please note that the mi.1 does not support direct wireless connection between MIDI equipment.
In order to achieve this setup, the mi.1 devices connected to the Yamaha and Roland are actually being routed via the iPad using the MIDI Bridge iOS app.
2. MIDI settings in the Animoog app
Before selecting the mi.1 in the Animoog MIDI settings, it's necessary to connect/pair the mi.1 as a Bluetooth MIDI device beforehand. This can achieved in the iOS Bluetooth settings, or in an app such as Piano Jukebox.
3. The external mi.1 power supply used for connecting to the volca beats
The mi.1 draws power from an instrument's MIDI OUT connector, however some equipment – such as the volca beats – only features a MIDI IN connector, preventing the use of the mi.1.
We have developed an external power supply board that can be used to overcome this limitation. A circuit diagram of the power supply board can be downladed here, and we're planning to make a kit available for purchase (¥1,500 JPY) in the near future.
http://quicco.co.jp/MIDI_EX-P_sch.pdf

Attached image is temporary.
4. MIDI sync with the volca beats
The current versions of the mi.1 firmware (v2.2.1/v3.2.1) filters MIDI clock (F8) messages by default (i.e. MIDI clock will not be transmitted/received)
In order to allow tempo syncing, please send the following SysEx message to disable the MIDI clock filter:

F0 00 02 08 10 55 01 00 00 F7 (MIDI clock will be transmitted/received)
To re-enable the MIDI clock filter, and return to default settings, please send the following SysEx message:
F0 00 02 08 10 55 01 00 01 F7 (MIDI clock will not be transmitted/received)

http://quicco.co.jp/Dimensions_etc_for_installation_J.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mYRWBT_WT1BX2bG30O6WJ7EzYZyRlLVrkLB3zK27Dl0/edit#gid=0

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 07, 2016, 03:24:52 PM
OK - here it is as promised:

First, get a MIDI (male-male) cable with removable connectors.  I used the Hosa 3 foot cable; if you can find one, get a male-female cable - you won't need the female-female adapter.  Next  find a USB cable (type A to B is fine).  Also obtain a 5V AC to USB adapter and a Hosa female-female MIDI adapter.

Cut the USB cable to get a length you desire with the Type A plug at the end; strip and tin the red and black wires:

To use this with the QuiccoSound insert the MIDI cable between the MIDI OUT of the device and the QuiccoSound MIDI plug with "Up" arrow, using a Hosa female-female MIDI adapter.  Plug in the USB adapter and voila!

Has somebody come up with another solution more "wireless" to this problem with the ATG luthier Kit? I am looking for a full self contained wireless guitar.

Would taking power from the on board battery and take it through a voltage regulator work? if so, could you help on identifying one that would be suitable for 6v - 9v batteries? (I'm not very good at electronics)

cags12

Quote from: Elantric on March 24, 2016, 03:03:13 PM

FWIW - the QuiccoSound mi.1 Bluetooth MIDI adapter is a crucial part of custom ATG Internal kits, to provide wireless editing and selection of ATG Guitar settings with iPad   

Elantric - Have you tested using the mi.1 with the ATG-1 and the ATG Settings manager with a MAC? Does it work?

Also, I read that Windows 10 Anniversary update introduced support for BLE MIDI. Have you had chance to test it yet? Looking if the ATG settings manager would work.

admin

Yes quiccosound mi.1 works with ATG-1 and ATG Control  template on IOS MIDI Designer app on iPad

that's why pics were posted

Use search

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15748.msg112365#msg112365

admin

Ed clothier has installed a Quiccosound mi.1 in a guitar with ATG Luthier kit for Ritchie Sambora

The hurdle is the custom power supply required

But it only works with iPad and ATG Control  template on IOS MIDI Designer app

admin

So far I never got Quiccosound BLE wireless MIDI to work with Windows

cags12

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 12, 2017, 12:46:46 PM
Yes quiccosound mi.1 works with ATG-1 and ATG Control  template on IOS MIDI Designer app on iPad

that's why pics were posted

Use search

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15748.msg112365#msg112365
Thank you, I already searched thoroughly and read all those topic and in none of them there is any mention of the ATG Settings manager (The PC and MAC application to create presets and set up Global parameters) (unless I missed it). Thus my question.

So, I keep this question open guys!

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 12, 2017, 12:51:58 PM
Ed clothier has installed a Quiccosound mi.1 in a guitar with ATG Luthier kit for Ritchie Sambora

The hurdle is the custom power supply required

But it only works with iPad and ATG Control  template on IOS MIDI Designer app

I have just made my own measurements and I have found something interesting. When the guitar is connected through the AT200-B box, there is no power at all (no current, no voltage) as reported earlier in this topic. However, when measuring directly on the guitar on pin 1 of the Din 8 (MIDI out +), there IS power, around 22mA @5V, more than enough to drive the Quiccosound mi.1.

Unless I did something wrong which I do not believe, the guitar was on running only batteries and nothing connected to the MIDI connector but my multi-meter.

Would someone be able to confirm?

cags12

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 12, 2017, 12:57:26 PM
So far I never got Quiccosound BLE wireless MIDI to work with Windows

There are a few videos in Youtube showing the Mi.1 working on Windows. The Anniversary update introduces the support. For this reason too I am interested in knowing if the settings manager can work even if it is on Mac. I believe this connection is pure SysEx messages.

cags12

Here is an article about MIDI Enhancements in Windows 10
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/09/21/midi-enhancements-in-windows-10/

-------------
My ATG kit installation will not have room for a DIN 8 connector unfortunately, so being able to access the Windows or MAC version Software Manager wirelessly is crucial. Perhaps somebody who has got the gear already could confirm please?

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: cags12 on August 12, 2017, 01:44:51 PM
I have just made my own measurements and I have found something interesting. When the guitar is connected through the AT200-B box, there is no power at all (no current, no voltage) as reported earlier in this topic. However, when measuring directly on the guitar on pin 1 of the Din 8 (MIDI out +), there IS power, around 22mA @5V, more than enough to drive the Quiccosound mi.1.

Unless I did something wrong which I do not believe, the guitar was on running only batteries and nothing connected to the MIDI connector but my multi-meter.

Would someone be able to confirm?

The AT-200B supplies 9V to the guitar via 8-pin connector on pin 6.  You should be able to read this between pins 6 and 7.  You can confirm this by taking the battery out and turning the guitar on - the LED should light up.  This is assuming of course that you wired the 7 pins as indicated in the kit.

The power supplied to pin 1 comes from the ATG DSP board; as you mention, it may be sufficient to power the QuiccoSound, but I have not yet confirmed that.

Elantric

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 09:28:41 AM

The AT-200B supplies 9V to the guitar via 8-pin connector on pin 6.  You should be able to read this between pins 6 and 7.  You can confirm this by taking the battery out and turning the guitar on - the LED should light up.  This is assuming of course that you wired the 7 pins as indicated in the kit.

The power supplied to pin 1 comes from the ATG DSP board; as you mention, it may be sufficient to power the QuiccoSound, but I have not yet confirmed that.

like this

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 09:28:41 AM

Sorry I was not very clear on my previous post. Let's remove from the discussion the 9V power that comes from the AT200-B as it is not relevant really at the moment.

What I meant is that when the Guitar "Peavey AT-200" (I have not tested the luthier Kit) is connected to the AT200-B box and you measure for power on the MIDI OUT connector pin-4 of it, there is no power as yourself found out too. However when you measure directly (not using the AT200-B) on the 8-pin connector on pin-1 which correspond to the MIDI OUT line, I have found there is indeed the 5V and 22mA. Meaning not major hack is needed other than remapping the connectors. Just looking for confirmation on this from somebody else.

My plan is to install internally the QuiccoSound mi.1 permanently (wired directly) on a guitar I will not have space for the Din 8 connector.

For this reason, the other two main question I have is:
1. Does the Software Manager (PC or MAC) work with the mi.1?
2. Has anyone yet tested Windows 10 Anniversary update or later with the mi.1?

Thanks

GuitarBuilder

I think your questions may only be answered by testing the QuiccoSound mi.1 first with Windows 10 and then with the ATG software manager.

Do you have an mi.1 to test with?  If so, plug it into a device that supplies power to MIDI Out and see if it connects properly.  You cannot use the AT-200B without my power adapter hack.

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 10:19:10 AM
I think your questions may only be answered by testing the QuiccoSound mi.1 first with Windows 10 and then with the ATG software manager.

Do you have an mi.1 to test with?  If so, plug it into a device that supplies power to MIDI Out and see if it connects properly.  You cannot use the AT-200B without my power adapter hack.

Unfortunately I do not own an mi.1 yet. I thought asking before expending the money. You know, the old "research before expending".

I guess I will have to just get it and try by myself.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: cags12 on August 16, 2017, 09:56:51 AM
What I meant is that when the Guitar "Peavey AT-200" (I have not tested the luthier Kit) is connected to the AT200-B box and you measure for power on the MIDI OUT connector pin-4 of it, there is no power as yourself found out too. However when you measure directly (not using the AT200-B) on the 8-pin connector on pin-1 which correspond to the MIDI OUT line, I have found there is indeed the 5V and 22mA. Meaning not major hack is needed other than remapping the connectors. Just looking for confirmation on this from somebody else.

I suspect there is no direct connection between the AT-200B MIDI OUT connector and pin 1 of the 8-pin connector because there may be some circuitry in between, perhaps an opto isolator.  You could easily confirm that by checking for continuity between the two.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: cags12 on August 16, 2017, 10:26:54 AM
Unfortunately I do not own an mi.1 yet. I thought asking before expending the money. You know, the old "research before expending".

I guess I will have to just get it and try by myself.

That is far superior to trusting opinions on a forum!  You can also try the Yamaha MD-BT01:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

GuitarBuilder

By the way, which computer are you planning on using with the BLE MIDI?

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 10:32:08 AM
That is far superior to trusting opinions on a forum!  You can also try the Yamaha MD-BT01:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html
Well in this case I was looking for a fact check (yes or not) as opposed to an opinion. But yes, I get it sometimes is better to just try yourself :). Good thing is not that much expensive.

Yeah, I am aware of that Yamaha one but it is considerable bigger than the mi.1, fitting it inside the guitar it will much more difficult.

Thank you for your help.

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 10:34:01 AM
By the way, which computer are you planning on using with the BLE MIDI?

Mainly with an iPad but for the Software manager and editing presets it would be a Windows 10 (anniversary update or later) computer.

Because two mi.1 cannot be connected to each other, I am also considering getting the Primova MIDIX (as host) and CME WIDI-Bud (as adapter) with the mi.1 (as accessory) so I can connect the guitar to a foot controller and others through all that equipment. Just thinking it is a lot of money for going full wireless.

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 16, 2017, 10:29:42 AM
I suspect there is no direct connection between the AT-200B MIDI OUT connector and pin 1 of the 8-pin connector because there may be some circuitry in between, perhaps an opto isolator.  You could easily confirm that by checking for continuity between the two.

I suspect the same. You can easily tell that the audio of pin-8 does not flow if the AT-200B is un-powered. This makes me wonder, why so much circuitry on the AT-200B + FCC compliance charges + hassle if they could simply implement a simple passive  breakout box (excluding the upstream power-line) as shown below. I do not know really.!!

Ignoring the iRig stuffs of course.

cags12

Quote from:  Elantric
IMHO the  CME WIDI-Bud is nothing more than a rebadged BLE 4.1 USB stick

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/bluetooth-4-1-usb-dongle-bluetooth_60615248810.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.45.2bd139751kjco5

More details
http://www.cme-pro.com/forum-index/topic/does-the-widi-bud-work-with-other-bluetooth-midi-devices/

Thank you Elantric - Are you certain about this?  AFAIK the Widi-Bud also adds driver-less MIDI over Bluetooth support to any USB compliant host. That BLE stick I believe is the bare bones of Bluetooth LE and do not provide MIDI over BLE support. The whole reason why other devices (android, windows) took longer to catch up with apple. Or am I missing something here?