Focusrite iTrack Dock

Started by Elantric, January 17, 2014, 03:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteJust checking - so if the class compliant version of the midi sport 2x2 works does that mean I could actually run 2 midi in's (one pitch to midi and one foot controller) into the itrack dock or would it treat it like usb hub and reject it ?

Don't know
The iTrack DOCK's rear USB Host port (for MIDI I/O) is extremely limited, and does not work with most MIDI  USB Class Compliant devices i tried.   
Impossible to know without trying.

I'll test for Dual MIDI Inputs this week with my ESI MIDIMATE II - USB 2.0 MIDI Interface Cable
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0

The MIDIMATE II from ESI/Ego-Sys is a USB 2.0 MIDI interface housed in a convenient cable form. The two MIDI connectors will function in the standard configuration of MIDI In and MIDI Out, but the interface also automatically detects the incoming and outgoing MIDI signals and assigns them appropriately. This means the interface can deliver 32-channels of either input or 32-channels of output if required.

[ So this cable can act like a Dual MIDI Input  / Dual MIDI Output  / Thru Box for iPad+CCK ]

The interface is compatible with Windows XP, Windows 7 (32-, 64-bit) and Vista (32-, 64-bit), as well as Mac OS X. The interface works instantly after being plugged in to the computer, with no driver installation required. [ i.e, Will also work with iPad / Android]
USB MIDI interface with 2 MIDI connectors, each can work as independent input or output
High-speed connection to USB 2.0 or 1.1 equipped PC or Mac computer
Bus powered - requires no external power supply
No driver needed for Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS X

The iTrack DOCK has no built in MIDI I/O ports, the rear USB Host port for MIDI expansion does not work with any USB Hubs - so multiple USB devices are not possible.

Its lightning plug is on a sliding mechanism and it moves up and down to work with iPad mini iPad, iPad Air, iPad Air2

hanson

Quote from: Elantric on July 20, 2015, 02:31:23 PM
The good news is the Focusrite iTrack Dock is already compatible with the iPad Pro 12"

Its lightning plug is on a sliding mechanism and it moves up and down to work with iPad mini iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro
And how do you think to use it in a dock? I think, the connector of iPad Pro will be approx. 1.5 inch higher than of iPad air

hanson

Though, I do not own iPad pro - you can measure the distance from the lowest line of tray to the center of the lightning connector in its highest position (it is 9.3 cm) and take the width dimension from the official site (8.68 inches = 220.6 mm) and /2 to get the center of the connector - so it is 110.3 = 11.03 cm.... if I am not mistaken, what is a bit higher than needed. So I think we will have to make a modification....

MJA

Sorry guys, the Focusrite iTrack Dock is not physically compatible with iPad Pro. I just checked right now (I have both). The Lightning connector does not slide high enough.

admin

Bummer

Time for "plan B"  - insert this short Apple Lightning extension cable below between the iDock and iPad Pro

Breadcrumb Slice Stand 8pin Lightning Extension cable
http://breadcrumbpro-store.groupon.com/products/breadcrumb-slice-stand-8pin-lightning-extension-cable

whippinpost91850

Thanks I was just getting ready to order one :'(

admin

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546345-Which-USB-MIDI-devices-can-I-use-with-the-iTrack-Dock-

Which USB MIDI Devices Can I Use With The ITrack Dock?
This applies to the iTrack Dock

The USB MIDI port on the iTrack Dock is for connecting class compliant USB MIDI controllers. Class compliant devices do not need a driver to be installed to work.

A list of USB MIDI devices that we have tested and found to work with the iTrack dock as well as some known incompatibilites can be found below.

NOTE: The USB port on the iTrack Dock is designed for connecting MIDI controllers directly. We do not support the connection of USB hubs to the port. We also do not support the connection of other sorts of USB device (i.e. a USB interface) - the port is for MIDI controllers only.

USB MIDI controllers tested with iTrack Dock's MIDI port and found to work:

Novation Launchkey range (mini, 25, 49, 61)

Novation Launchpad S

Novation Launchpad Mini

Novation Launch Control

Novation Impulse range (25, 49, 61)

Novation SL MkII range (25, 49, 61) - Please note: the Novation SL MKII range needs external power to work with the iTrack Dock

Akai Max 49 - Please note: the Akai Max 49 needs external power to work with the iTrack Dock

Alesis QX61

M-Audio Axiom Air Mini

M-Audio MIDISport Uno

M-Audio Oxygen range (25, 61)

Casio PX-5S

Casio PX 350m

Casio CTK 4200

Korg PA 600

USB MIDI controllers tested with iTrack Dock's MIDI port and found to be incompatible:

Korg microkey 37

Korg MS-20 Legacy Edition Controller (MS20iC)

Akai MPK Mini MK1 & MK2

Not officially tested but we have heard of issues with the following units:

Korg NanoKey 2

Korg NanoPad

Korg nanoKONTROL 2

Alesis Q25

Alesis Q49

Arturia MiniLab USB

Native Instruments Kontrol S-Series

iConnectivity Mio

Headless68

Focusrite's website states that the iPad pro is compatible with itrack dock 'using a lightning extension adaptor ', however it does not actually show that adaptor

Fwiw I recently bought one & I'm really happy with it - would recommend

Elantric

QuoteFocusrite's website states that the iPad pro is compatible with itrack dock 'using a lightning extension adaptor ', however it does not actually show that adaptor

insert this short Apple Lightning extension cable below between the iDock and iPad Pro

(I ordered one to test )

http://breadcrumbpro-store.groupon.com/products/breadcrumb-slice-stand-8pin-lightning-extension-cable

whippinpost91850

Thanks will still probably order one

Elantric

8pin Lightning Extension cable should be here tomorrow

Elantric

http://breadcrumbpro-store.groupon.com/products/breadcrumb-slice-stand-8pin-lightning-extension-cableWorks!

Tested Breadcrumb Slice Stand 8pin Lightning Extension cable today with my iPad AIR2 and IOS 9.3  - It Works!
Should also work with iPad Pro 12.9" in iTrack Dock

atracksler

Does the behringer FCB-1010 work with the Usb midi on the itrack?

Elantric

No

You must use a third party USB Class compliant USB MIDI Cable to connect FCB-1010 using 5 pin MIDI cable

Like a Roland UM-One MKII or iConnectivity MIO

atracksler

Are there any footswitch pedals that work directly with it? Using it with biasFX

admin

atracksler

Just the 2, not the original, right?

admin

All KMI softsteps work

BUt I do not recommend the first version , as it employed Electro-luminescent Backlight tech that radiated strong EMI field that most magnetic guitar pickups and analog preamp gain stages would amplify and wreak hell with your sound

KMI softstep2 uses latest high intensity LED tech and is silent / no more Radiated EMI field

atracksler

I hit the itrack dock and the soft step.

I plug the softstep into the back of the itrack dock, and it doesn't appear to be sending anything to bias.

The softstep turns on and lights up, just doesn't seem to be sending midi.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

admin

Use a third party MIDI Monitor iPad app to test if KMI Softstep is transmitting MIDI

Realize you'll have to program the KMI Softstep to transmit the specific midi data need for your target iOS application (BIAS/ToneStack,etc)

atracksler

I'm going to reset the softstep tomorrow. 

What do I need to set the softstep to send?

admin

Quote from: atracksler on August 20, 2017, 07:27:05 PM

What do I need to set the softstep to send?

Whatever MIDI messages your IOS app requires  -

its different for each app and what you are attempting to control

read this thread - same steps apply for controlling IOS apps with your KMI SoftStep MIDI controller

MIDI Controller setup / debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

JMurata

Hi to all

Does anyone successfully tried itrack dock with non pro IPad 2017 (5th gen)? It looks likes there are some issues....

Tks
Johny

Elantric

Brak(E)man

How does the direct monitor work with an app like Loopy HD and Flux:Fx that works in realtime vs fi Garageband ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch