GR-55 - Does the GR-55 work with the 24" scale?

Started by tightlow, December 17, 2014, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tightlow

I know Adrian Belew used a GK 30 on his mustang with the Kahler trem. But I can't talk to him & that was a diferent unit...I see a few peope with Jaguars and the GK# for a GR-55 unit, but who knows what they know. I don't recall mention of that scale in the manual. Works fine wit 24.75, but I'm ditching the LP. Want a Jag or a Mustang.

Anyone here ever use a Gk3 Hex pickup on a Mustang or a Jaguar? Any particular tracking issues due to the extra short scale?
Thanks
PS I'd probably be using the "modern" stop tailpiece or even a fixed strat-type bridge

Elantric

The acceptable  instrument scale length is a function of the specific connected Roland GK processor

Its important to observe the  acceptable Instrument Scale Length changes depending on the if the GR-55 is in "Guitar Mode" or "Bass Mode"
Here is the acceptable Instrument Scale Length supported by the 

GR-55 in Guitar Mode = 500-660mm ( 19.6875 inches - 25.9843 inches)

Convert Inch to millimeters
http://www.metric-conversions.org/length/millimeters-to-inches.htm

24" = 609.60mm

QuotePS I'd probably be using the "modern" stop tailpiece or even a fixed strat-type bridge

From my experience, 24" scale instruments are very tough to play in tune with anything lighter than 11-52 strings - and a .023" wound third (G)

When your guitar is playing out of tune - Guitar to MIDI tracking goes from acceptable to impossible rather fast.   

tightlow

Thanks Elantric:
Yeah, I get that there's probably a point of increased glitchiness ascale length shortens, but it appears you quoted the manual as saying (at least nominally) the acceptable ranges for guitar scale length for the GK3 w/ Gr- 55 are:

"GR-55 in Guitar Mode = 500-660mm ( 19.6875 inches - 25.9843 inches)"

It would appear (nominally, FWIW) that 24" is well within that range.
I've never had issues with the 24" scale instruments on the guitar end; my intonation is superb, because I fret lightly and pick with great precision, out of necessity.
I won't be one to induce any unwanted intonation issues, so beyond that, do you , or any responders / members report success (or failure) with the Jaguar/ mustang? Beyond pitch, that is, assuming someone gets the 24" scale (some just find it alien) have you, or have you seen anybody else encounter (OTHER) glitch issues?
I'd just go strat, but hate the scale length...also think the Jag or Mustang are just the perfect platform for the guitar synth. There's almost nothing else to them!
I'd appreciate your follow up on this; I have a chance to get either a Jag or a mustang at a great deal, so I'm checking you guys first, since the GR-55 would be it's main purpose. (YEAH, double the good deal thing...a friend of mine has got a nice stripped-down black "Blacktop" Jaguar & He'll give me a great deal on it ...I love those, because I was never a fan of all the switching or the funky vibrato...man, I'd sure prefer this as my GR-55 controller.)
THANKS SO MUCH!
P.S: Though, grabbing my Lester and going through Beatles tunes on the Grand Piano setting, I am reminded of how the jumpiness of shorter-scale strings (even on a Gibson scale) can be a bit problematic...takes great attention and patience. I'd still prefer a Jag, but perhaps if I found  FLAT SE series PRS at 24.5" or even a 25" SE, (there's a million of those), I'd at least stop having to wrestle with tuning issues inherent in Gibson's beautiful but tortured bridge -to nut-to post issues. I just want a Jag to work, B/C they're SO comfortable, and the Blacktop is so plain, which I dig...opinions welcome, please. my fave guitar is my PRS 25th anniversary SC245...basically a late 50s Les Paul with incredible tuning stability and light weight, but I won't be sticking any controllers on that one...