GR-55 Factory Reset

Started by Elantric, January 27, 2014, 10:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

GR-55 Factory Reset
See GR-55 Owners Manual page 73

gumtown

I had to initiate a factory reset two weeks ago, doing sound check before a gig, no sound from the GR-55.
I checked every setting, all looked fine.
Lucky I had a laptop with me (it runs the light show) with GR-55FloorBoard installed.
I made a backup of all my user patches, and also a backup of the system settings.

Then did a factory reset, it works..
Reloaded all the user patches, good so far.
then loaded in the saved system settings (all my GK setups), then nothing, no sound output at all.

Then did the factory reset again, reloaded just a few essential patches (starting to run out of time to start the gig)
Then had to disconnect from the editor and load the system backup in as read only and manually enter my GK settings into the GR-55.
Whewee!! just in time
But I missed 1 essential setting the file player volume, meant to be 35 was set to default 100 for my spot samples and intro's.

The situation came about from previously that week playing with system exclusive data being random fired around some midi devices, and must have chocked the GR-55 with something bad.

Lesson learnt: check your gear before a gig, and be prepared for a factory reset.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

LJS

Hi All,

Thought I would relate my experience. I've been using the GR-55 for a few months, and suddenly only about a quarter of the patches would work. I searched the Internet and found no similar experiences. I figured I had a power surge or something that had taken out the memory. So I did a factory reset.

Unfortunately it did not correct the issue. So I continued to research the problem and found that it was the first time I had repositioned the expression pedal. So the expression pedal affects volume on a large number of the Roland patches.

I hadn't put together too many patches so I didn't lose too much. But I lost the adjustments for the guitar which had been working pretty well. Maybe my experience will help others considering doing a factory reset.

Kind regards,
LJS

concordal

Quote from: LJS on March 29, 2015, 10:04:25 AM

. . . I hadn't put together too many patches so I didn't lose too much. But I lost the adjustments  . . .

Next time, save your patches to a PC / MAC before doing a reset.  You can do this with the Librarian or with Gumtown's Floorboard editor.

gumtown

A factory reset will reset the whole GR-55, including all SYSTEM settings, which includes GK setups.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JolietJake

Everytime I create a new patch or change things I always perform a backup to the USB I always keep inside the GR-55 just in case I have to perform a system reset and restore everything from scratch. I also keep the firmware on the USB (just in case).

OldGuitarDude

Quote from: gumtown on September 04, 2014, 02:00:54 PM

The situation came about from previously that week playing with system exclusive data being random fired around some midi devices, and must have chocked the GR-55 with something bad.

Lesson learnt: check your gear before a gig, and be prepared for a factory reset.8

Same here Gumtown. I was fiddling around with a new midi interface, think I got the send/receive cables swapped, unplugged them, then went to the gig. No sound whatsoever! Had the usb stick in there with a full backup on it, fortunately.....

Gilpicker

I just started getting serious about my GR-55.  I bought and installed the OPT-1 pop filter circuit from R. McClish a couple of months ago - works well. This week I did two new things in series without checking function in between (always a bad I idea!); I updated my GR-55 operatoring system to ver 1.5 in prepartion for loading librarian and floorboard.  I then loaded some user created GR-55 patches I bought from USAguitarTabs.
Now the GR-55 is not functioning well on user patches (even my own previously created). Using librarian I had inserted a dozen purchased patches into the user lineup.  A few sounded good, others not so much, and almost have do not sound anything like their description.  I say this because I believe they are corrupted like the faux bass guitar sounds of my user patches (my GR-55 mode is six string guitar). e.g David Gilmore patch is a piano, others are just weird noise.  One thing I discovered is that when I use the system CTL footswitch my problem patches turn on PCM1 & PCM2 (default system settings?) and loose their minds (bass patch sounds like air raid siren, tele w trem sounds like a neurological injury)
I think this is due to something that went wrong with my system during the opsys upgrade to ver 1.5 or adding the on line patches?   
I am motivated to reset my GR-55 to factory specs. 
Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone know what may have happened to my system and what I could have done wrong?
2) Does factory reset re-install the original 1.0 operating system?
Any and all advice is very much appreciated.
Gil

admin

Perform a factory reset

It will not disturb the FW 1.50 update

Mrchevy

Quote from: Gilpicker on January 13, 2023, 09:40:24 AMI just started getting serious about my GR-55.  I bought and installed the OPT-1 pop filter circuit from R. McClish a couple of months ago - works well. This week I did two new things in series without checking function in between (always a bad I idea!); I updated my GR-55 operatoring system to ver 1.5 in prepartion for loading librarian and floorboard.  I then loaded some user created GR-55 patches I bought from USAguitarTabs.
Now the GR-55 is not functioning well on user patches (even my own previously created). Using librarian I had inserted a dozen purchased patches into the user lineup.  A few sounded good, others not so much, and almost have do not sound anything like their description.  I say this because I believe they are corrupted like the faux bass guitar sounds of my user patches (my GR-55 mode is six string guitar). e.g David Gilmore patch is a piano, others are just weird noise.  One thing I discovered is that when I use the system CTL footswitch my problem patches turn on PCM1 & PCM2 (default system settings?) and loose their minds (bass patch sounds like air raid siren, tele w trem sounds like a neurological injury)
I think this is due to something that went wrong with my system during the opsys upgrade to ver 1.5 or adding the on line patches?   
I am motivated to reset my GR-55 to factory specs. 
Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone know what may have happened to my system and what I could have done wrong?
2) Does factory reset re-install the original 1.0 operating system?
Any and all advice is very much appreciated.
Gil

Also.....DON'T pay for patches. They were most likely obtained from here at VGuitar forums, which are free. See the GR55 patch exchange for hundreds of free patches. Also keep in mind that hundreds of users also have different system settings which can effect the patch and how it sounds, so it may not sound like it should with your system.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones