Imminent hardware failure?

Started by Kevin M, July 28, 2017, 10:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

After several months of not playing - or powering up - my VG99, I've started using it again. I've been noticing an 'issue' with it, however: the patch volume keeps randomly, but regularly popping up on the display. At first I thought it might be a cable issue, but I've gone so far as unplugging everything, one-by-one, from it and it still occurs. It doesn't interfere with any functions or the editor, so it's more of a visual nuisance than anything, but I'm worried this could be a sign of an imminent hardware failure given its age. I suppose a factory reset is my next course of action?

Brent Flash

Is it Patch Level display pops up? It may be a POT issue. When you turn the Patch Level POT it will display if I remember correctly.

Possible fix: Turn the Patch Level knob a bunch and see if it stops.

Kevin M

Quote from: Brent Flash on July 28, 2017, 10:37:53 AM
Is it Patch Level display pops up? It may be a POT issue. When you turn the Patch Level POT it will display if I remember correctly.

Possible fix: Turn the Patch Level knob a bunch and see if it stops.

Yes, it's Patch Level...I got the name wrong earlier. I think your suggestion was spot on - thanks! I noticed it only a few more time after I tried the fix. Will work on it more when I get back home.

Thanks!

Silas Lang

My VG-99 has been behaving like this for several years and it's still running, so don't worry about an imminent failure.

Very likely it's just an issue with the encoder. And, as Brent Flash suggests, turning it when this happens help reduce the problem in my experience.