Ableton Live looper

Started by tracy, May 18, 2012, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syph

Agreed, the FCB1010 is evil in all ways. Including its cheap price encouraging its evil ways...

First, the occasional CC message i believe from memory is when you double press a button, i think it might be part of its tap tempo or something silly like that. I use a midi event filter to strip any unwanted messages between the FCB and Ableton, partly because of that CC issue, but also in case I accidentally change banks and the expression pedals move (I am too lazy to reprogram every damn bank of that thing).

Think I *may* have remembered what causes that looper glitch. Check the whether the global loop markers are active (as in the loop bars 1-4 in the arrange window). I seem to remember them causing havoc for the looper if they are enabled. The Looper is trying to record some loops whilst following the master clock, but the master clock keeps resetting to beat 1 bar 1 and the looper is like "whaaaat?"

I'll try and double check some point..

Elantric

Just a heads up! This should be a clear wake up call for WinXP users

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/live-9-warp-automation-tuner-pad-features-asked/

Ableton is dropping support for some older Mac and Windows operating systems. (10.6 and earlier / Vista and earlier, respectively.)

This should be a clear wake up call for folks still using Windows XP 

mooncaine

Quote from: Syph on January 02, 2015, 04:27:48 PM
...but also in case I accidentally change banks and the expression pedals move (I am too lazy to reprogram every damn bank of that thing).

Just saw this, and thought my tip might help FCB1010 users: my hack for this problem was to use a software patch editor (I think i used ripwerx) to copy the same settings to all the banks. If I changed a bank, it'd just be the same as the last bank.

BobbyD

Quote from: fuzzfactory on September 09, 2013, 09:56:55 PM
i use lives looper all the time
best looper i have ever used
before the looper i was using albeton to loop "the kid beyond" way
here is a clip of me using the gr-55 and live's looper

Bro....I know this is an old post but I just watched your video and that was freaken groovy, funky &  trippy.  Nice work. Loved it.

aliensporebomb

Yep.  Forrest is pretty funky. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

lumena

I have just gotten interested in using ableton's looper and so my search for techniques uncovered this method.

Here are a couple of good how to videos on using midi clips to trigger looping and so allow for looping without pedals.

I think that this method works well for structured use but perhaps not so well for improv.
This is fairly similar to how Zoe Keating does it. One thing to think about is having a click track in your ear that keeps you in sync when sections change.
When I saw Zoe do her looping performance I sat in the second row and she definitely does not start and stop each loop.

She seemed to alternate between loops that she had set up to happen and places where she triggered next section of a song after an improv section. The method above does not explain all of it but it does show in step by step form how to set up structures that don't require pedal interaction and get looping happening without pedals.

admin