Positive Grid BIAS FX (IOS)

Started by mbenigni, April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Did anyone else get the "Introducing BIAS FX" teaser email?  Does anyone have any idea what Positive Grid is planning here?  Trying to sort out whether this will obsolete JamUp altogether, or whether they'll keep one as the entry-level product and one as flagship (hard to imagine on iOS given the pricing model there) or what.

Elantric

Quote from:  mbenigni on April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM
Did anyone else get the "Introducing BIAS FX" teaser email?  Does anyone have any idea what Positive Grid is planning here?  Trying to sort out whether this will obsolete JamUp altogether, or whether they'll keep one as the entry-level product and one as flagship (hard to imagine on iOS given the pricing model there) or what.

Introducing BIAS FX We took everything that we learned in the last 5 years and looked into the next 5 years of digital processing for guitar. The result is BIAS FX, the biggest leap forward in virtual guitar amps and effects, and now it's almost ready for you.
Fully and seamlessly integrated with ToneCloud and BIAS Amps, BIAS FX allows guitarists to download and share thousands of pedalboard and amp configurations created in dual signal paths.
Designed for desktop and mobile, more information is coming soon. If you are interested in a test drive, sign up now and join the BIAS FX explorer program.

mbenigni

QuoteWith no mention of the crucial features I need...

Well, that's just it.  They make no clear mention of anything really.  Just vague promises of "more better" than the solution they already provide by way of JamUp.  I'm curious about improved MIDI control and stereo effects, and also whether integration between Bias FX and Bias Amps will be improved, whether they'll be combined as one app ("Fully and seamlessly integrated"?) with in-app purchase on iOS, etc.

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  mbenigni on April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM
I got the email, but haven't had the chance to explore it yet

mbenigni

QuoteI got the email, but haven't had the chance to explore it yet

It shouldn't take long to explore - it doesn't say anything.   ;D

I did sign up to be a tester, but they're only selecting 100 people, and apparently making the decision based on a one line "your story" text box.  "It all started in a small New England town..."  I'm guessing the beta testers will have all started their stories with "currently on tour with..." LOL.

Elantric

Positive Grid  skipped sending this to me this time - nothing in my email box regarding this

SLICK

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/

If the quality of Positive grids Amp sims are anything to go by this could be very interesting indeed.
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

sixeight

From what I have gathered so far, it seems to have parallel FX and amp routing options and it will be available on ios and pc/mac.lso effects or effect comfigurations will be downloadable from the cloud.

One can dream. Will it be possible to capture effects like amps can be with tone matching?

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric
Positive Grid BIAS FX  -  completely a "non starter"  without remote MIDI control.

And when I raise this issue with Positive Grid,  they act like

"we have not yet decided yet if a steering wheel is that important for your new Ferrari"

I guess they expect us to to play barefoot and put an iPad on the floor and control it with our toes.

My sentiments exactly and why no longer really use it at all. Just freakinn DUMB ???

Elantric

Bias FX - Looks like they finally added Stereo FX and  a MIDI Setup Menu for IOS version - no news about the PC/Mac version of BIAS FX

mbenigni

QuoteBias FX - Looks like they finally added Stereo FX and  a MIDI Setup Menu for IOS version - no news about the PC/Mac version of BIAS FX

Wow, this looks amazing!  Of course that can be a mixed blessing - with so many CPU cycles going toward making the app look great, I wonder whether it will even run on my "mere" iPad Air 1.

I'm still really confused as to what this means for the rest of their product line, though.  Will Bias FX replace Bias, JamUp Pro, both?  (All of these apps were in the IAA menu they pulled up during the demo.)  Functionally, this just looks like an upgrade to JamUp to me.  (Which means we'll probably have the same clumsy process of jumping back and forth between Bias to deep edit amp models.)

Still exciting... I wonder what pricing will be like.  Maybe this will hit just as I finally give up hope on the Kemper.  Round and round she goes LOL.

whippinpost91850

Thanks for posting this I had pretty much quit checking.

TPguitarman

Quote from: mbenigni on April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

guys youre are welcome here >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/PositiveGridBiasFxUsers/?ref=bookmarks

Elantric

guys youre are welcome here >>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/PositiveGridBiasFxUsers/?ref=bookmarks

Not much content there for non beta testers

When will BIAS FX (IOS) be a download at iTunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/positive-grid-inc/id751979910

Will there be a BIAS FX Desktop version for OSX ( i.e companion for BIAS Desktop?)

When will Positive Grid include MIDI control for BIAS Desktop - to make it usable and functional for live use?

TPguitarman

Quote from: Elantric on April 22, 2015, 11:07:52 PM
Not much content there for non beta testers

When will BIAS FX (IOS) be a download at iTunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/positive-grid-inc/id751979910

Will there be a BIAS FX Desktop version for OSX ( i.e companion for BIAS Desktop?)

When will Positive Grid include MIDI control for BIAS Desktop - to make it usable and functional for live use?

pg said that the bt4 will be out but have delay due to factory , btw I just have pg staff there to see beta testers feedback

mbenigni

Can you clarify Bias FX's product positioning vs. JamUp Pro, which appears to serve the same basic purpose?  Will Bias FX replace JamUp, or will JamUp remain as a lower-cost option, or am I misinterpreting their respective uses?

oleijon

Hi guys.
I have been playing around with the Release Candidate over the weekend, however there are quite a few features not present, but I can give you some info. The RC is iOS only, Mac/Windows version is scheduled for Q3 (unconfirmed).

Apparently, the development name was LIVE, and a few things hint that it is indeed made for live use. There are output options for running in front of an amp or direct to PA. MIDI options seems to be working very nice with low latency (I cannot testify to this myself but other testers seem to have excellent results).

There is a very limited number of amps, the connection to the original BIAS is not available in the RC (a new compatible version will be available when BIAS FX is released), but they cover a nice range if amp types. Whether or not there will be amps available in the released version or only through original BIAS is unknown.

The effects are quite nice but my guess is that there will be more at launch. No hints to any "effectmatch" feature is available (but then again ampmatch is not available for iOS either), so a reasonable setup for the launch and then more through paid upgrades similar to JamUp and BIAS is perhaps most likely.

So, is this a JamUp killer? Sound quality wise I think they are very similar even though testers are very much divided. JamUp is perhaps more targeted to practicing and BIAS FX for live use, but I have a hard time believing PG will keep developing two multifx applications, even though JamUp will remain, I would be surprised if ut was upgraded to the iOS 9...

Oh, it will be available on 28/4 :D

BackDAWman

I see this has been released. The review on the App Store page wasn't very flattering. :-\ :'(

Elantric

QuoteI see this has been released.

My 1st message from Positive Grid regarding BIAS FX arrived today in my email

I'm bummed its iPad only - no iPhone 6 Plus support

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bias-fx/id937685528?ls=1&mt=8
BIAS FX turns your iPad into a world-class, guitar amp-and-effects processor. It gives you an endless collection of insanely great-sounding guitar pedalboards, ultra-high definition stereo rack effects, dual amps and dual signal chain. You can share and download users and artists signature guitar pedalboards from the cloud.

All new advanced multi-effects engine
Positive Grid's approach engineering BIAS FX with a no-compromise mindset, from a detailed touch in distortion emulation to the double precision algorithm in chorus, we strive for the best possible sound quality. A huge collection of newly developed, high-definition pedal and rack effects are included: gate, boosters, overdrive, distortion, fuzz, equalizers, tremolo, phaser, flanger, chorus, octaver, compressors, delays, spring and plate reverbs—everything a guitar player needs for massive tone, with all the flavor of both modern and vintage stomp boxes. Throw all that together – it is pedalboard heaven, but without the hassle of hauling around dozens of stomps in a heavy metal box and fumbling with a snakepit of cables. Show up at the studio or gig, boot up and play!

Insanely powerful, yet easy to use
BIAS FX is the most powerful processor ever designed by Positive Grid, yet its simple drag-and-drop interface makes it extremely easy to use. Dual amps provide the resonance and vibrancy of playing through two real amps set up together in wide stereo. When integrated with BIAS AMP (separate app), you can select a different preamp, power amp, cab, mic and eq for each of the two amps. Patch everything together, including all pedals and rack effects, in any order you wish in dual signal paths running in parallel.

Download pedalboard from the cloud
There are already hundreds of pedalboard configurations available on ToneCloud for you to own, and the banquet keeps getting bigger and bigger: Positive Grid are currently working with professional artists, producers, and engineers from all over the world to create a massive, ever-growing library of extraordinary virtual pedalboards and rigs for BIAS FX. Browsing and downloading from that library is a snap: All the effects and amps in each setup can be seen at a glance, because they're stored as Pedalboard-like snapshots. Simply scroll through the online images to select the presets of interest, then tap or click to download.

Inter app audio routing engine
BIAS FX integrates a brand new inter-app audio routing engine, you can easily insert any Inter-App-Audio compatible audio apps in BIAS FX's dual signal paths, just like connecting audio effects app with virtual cables. BIAS FX makes it easy to go nuts with your audio apps.

Key features:
- Extremely intuitive operation
- Unrivalled, component-level simulation, analog-like sound quality
- 12 classic BIAS amps, import any amp models from BIAS AMP
- 25 high-quality effect pedals with brand new sound-processing algorithms
- 5 ultra-professional rack processors that sound like high-end analog gear
- Full integration with BIAS AMP gives you unprecedented control over designing your own fully customized amps
- Dual signal path and dual amp processing
- Brand new splitter switches between and combines dual signal paths, adjusting the level and frequency range for each path to give you more tone-shaping possibilities
- Live View mode lets you recall any preset with a single tap and toggle on/off any single effect or category of effects
- Pedalboard View shows all the effects and amps in the currently loaded preset at once
- Global Settings optimizes BIAS FX's output to sound the best in any environment—including sending to a mixer, amp head or combo or stack power amp—by letting you EQ and selectively deactivate the app's preamp, tone stack, power amp and cab separately for each destination.
- Inter app audio routing engine lets you insert other compatible audio apps in any place in your BIAS FX signal path

www.positivegrid.com
facebook.com/positivegrid
Twitter: @PositiveGrid

And its another profit center for Positive Grid - $30 - with no doubt IAP FX options lurking in a few weeks

QuoteThe review on the App Store page wasn't very flattering.

Could be pilot error - since he refers to still using Jamup Pro with Bias FX

I understand Bias FX replaces Jamup Pro as the "new" BIAS Amplification integrator for iPad

QuoteThe app is odd and frustrating. The frustration starts trying to integrate this app with JamUp Pro and/or Bias like it's supposed to. You get a very small selection of amps, effects, etc. for $30, much less than the JamUp Pro, which cost $80 to unlock everything. Considering the interapp nonsense is clunky and kinda glitchy, I will probably be requesting a refund in a week or so if there isn't an update.

Overall, compared to other Positive Grid stuff, this is a MAJOR disappointment. It's almost like we get the "privilege" to pay them $30 for an app that isn't even completely finished. I'll definitely be emailing Positive Grid telling them that I completely dislike the app and ask if they actual plan to make the interapp crap worthwhile or not. What's the point of dual signal path capabilities if I can't use two instances of Bias to use two custom amps? Seriously, what is the intention with this app? Because it is just awkward, especially the IAA, and the lack of amps/fx is completely ridiculous.

Tl;dr: Wait until they actually make this thing usable. At release, it's a "test" version and that's very obvious. Positive Grid should be ashamed of themselves.

admin

SLICK

Looks very interesting.
I already have JamUpPro, BIAS, ToneStack, Amplitube and Ampkit on my iPad so this looks like its my sort of thing.
The comments about it being more geared towards live performance is encouraging.

Anyone Able to find a list of the FX and Amps included in the initial release?
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

whippinpost91850

I got the email yesterday as well and like Elantric I was really disappointed it is iPad only.  ???
$30 is a lot just to see if it functions well. with good sound, fast patch change  and MIDI implementation.
I think I'll hold off a little while on this. I'm tired of buying stuff that almost works

mbenigni

QuoteI think I'll hold off a little while on this. I'm tired of buying stuff that almost works

I'm in the same place with it.  The pretty pictures are tempting me plenty, but PG needs to step up with detailed documentation to articulate what this will really deliver versus their previous products.

Besides which, it's just another distraction too many in too short a time frame.  I've done so many U-turns on my guitar rig over the course of the past 6 months or so, I've completely forgotten why it's all so damned important.  :/  I need to just sit on the porch with an acoustic for a few months and try to remember how to sing a song.

Elantric

Positive Grid BIAS on IOS, the  latency is always a moving target - never obtained the same BIAS experience as I had in the first release back in December 2013,
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9903.msg71094#msg71094

and I'm no longer using my iPad for Guitar Amp sims any live gigs,  too many constant IOS changes ( with no roll back), and app updates that fix three things, but destroy 12 other essentials.

I had a much happier time with Yonac Tonestack - until their last update clobbered  everything,  introducing a long gap / mute with every patch change, destroyed its usefulness for live use.

I now use my Boss GP-10 instead - and extremely happy with my live sound. Only fire up the Boss Tone Studio at Rehearsal for tweaking patches

But from my perspective all Positive Grid products are 70% solutions  - not a good track record.

* Bias Desktop - overpriced , and no Remote control via MIDI. I have a better time with N.I.Gutiar Rig 5 , as that integrates well with the Rig Kontrol 3 foot controller.

* BIAS/Jamup IOS - I own all the IAP upgrades, and since I own Auria DAW - i also own the Jamup Pro plug in for Auria. Proabably spent well over $100 for my Positive Grid IOS apps. Now they tempt me to spend another $30 for BIAS FX, and of course this will be a new game with BIAS FX IAP purchases for add ons later this year.

* Positive Grid JamPlug HD 24 bit interface - only a few shipped then  they dropped all hardware. No hardware exists at the Positive Grid site today.
http://www.positivegrid.com/jamup/

* Positive Grid BT-4 Bluetooth pedal - after the long wait and no delivery, I see its also been removed from the Positive Grid site
  http://www.positivegrid.com
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10292.msg92889#msg92889

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on April 29, 2015, 07:43:57 AM
I'm in the same place with it.  The pretty pictures are tempting me plenty, but PG needs to step up with detailed documentation to articulate what this will really deliver versus their previous products.

Besides which, it's just another distraction too many in too short a time frame.  I've done so many U-turns on my guitar rig over the course of the past 6 months or so, I've completely forgotten why it's all so damned important.  :/  I need to just sit on the porch with an acoustic for a few months and try to remember how to sing a song.
I'm with you, Thanks god my Kemper is keeping me down to earth. Sure would like a working iPad/ iPhone live setup though