Alt-tuning 12 string

Started by BassBus, April 29, 2011, 02:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassBus

I'm trying to create a bouzouki in my GR55 with GDAD tuning. I've taken the acoustic steel model and silenced the 5th and 6th strings to match the four courses on the bouzouki. Putting in the alt-tuning for GDAD is no problem but it doesn't allow the 12 string option. I have used the folk acoustic patch pitched up one octave on PCM 1 for strings 3 and 4. PCM 2 is folk acoustic in unison for strings 1 and 2.

While this gives an approximation of the bouzouki sound it's not perfect. Is there any other way of accessing the 12 string option in alt-tuning or do I just have to stick with what I have. Any advice appreciated.

ddlooping

Hello BassBus. :)

Quote from: BassBus on April 29, 2011, 02:15:51 PM
Is there any other way of accessing the 12 string option in alt-tuning?

Nope, the alt-tuning and 12-string options are mutually exclusive, I'm afraid. :(
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Elantric

However the top octave strings can each be individually alt tuned  +/-24 steps ,  but this leaves the normal strings at normal pitch.
See GR-55 Owners Manual Page 29

If you can live with a bit more latency, use both PCM1 & PCM 2 tones to build an alt tuned octave string  bouzouki

Kilgore

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2011, 02:48:32 PM
However the top octave strings can each be individually alt tuned  +/-24 steps ,  but this leaves the normal strings at normal pitch.
See GR-55 Owners Manual Page 29

If you can live with a bit more latency, use both PCM1 & PCM 2 tones to build an alt tuned octave string  bouzouki

The latency might even enhance the 12 string effect.

BassBus

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2011, 02:48:32 PM
That's exactly what I did. My reason for asking is that the latency is a little anoying. I've tried working with the attack on the PCMs but still not as quick as the model.

Come to think about it, it's the PCM on strings 3 and 4 which give most problems. They are pitched up an octave. Strings 1 and 2 are fine in unison with the model.

dnedwek

Quote from: BassBus on April 30, 2011, 04:05:57 AM
That's exactly what I did. My reason for asking is that the latency is a little anoying. I've tried working with the attack on the PCMs but still not as quick as the model.

Come to think about it, it's the PCM on strings 3 and 4 which give most problems. They are pitched up an octave. Strings 1 and 2 are fine in unison with the model.

Have you tried to reduce the attach on the PCM's TVA to a negative number? On some tones this seems to start playback farther into the sample as the attack value gets more negative.

BassBus

Worth a try, I'll have a go. Just been playing around with it in front of "The Abyss"  :o

BassBus

Bingo! Thanks dnedwek, that's made it a lot better. It'll never beat the real thing but it's now a useful patch.  :)

FatBoySlimFastAGAIN

Coming in way late here. I'm keen on getting a bouzouki in my arsenal too. Rather than having to carry my real bouzouki and tune another 8 strings!  Any chance you could post the patch that you're using?

Cheers,
Steve W

Elantric