Variax HD FW V2.10 & POD HD500X FW V1.30 - finally!

Started by Elantric, June 04, 2014, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Variax HD FW V2.10 & POD HD500X FW V1.30 - finally!
http://line6.com/software/index.html

Line 6 has posted new firmware for Tyler Variax and HD500X  / HD500

I updated my HD500X and both my Tyler Variax's and finally have access to WorkBench HD and POD HD Edit software with my Mac and Windows machines  - no more need for the clunky Workbench VDI to USB adapter

QuoteVariax & Workbench Release Notes v2.10

This FREE update of Variax firmware and Workbench software addresses a selection of performance issues and is recommended for all owners of James Tyler Variax guitars.

Variax HD v2.10 adds:
•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X
•Smoother model switching

Note: Variax v2.10 firmware is compatible with v2.00 models. We recommend backing up your presets with Workbench before updating Variax firmware.

Workbench HD v2.10 adds:
•Workbench HD functionality when connected to POD HD500, POD HD PRO, POD HD500X, POD HD Pro X
•Much faster initial sync between Workbench HD and Variax
•Bridge and Middle pickups are now combined correctly

About Variax HD
Variax HD is a free firmware upgrade for all James Tyler(r) Variax(r) guitars. Variax HD delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6's next-generation modeling technology. The team captured more detail than ever before, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel - perfect for capturing inspired performances.
In order to load this update, connect your James Tyler Variax guitar to Line 6 Monkey using the Workbench interface included with your guitar, or a POD with VDI input.
Variax HD includes the following major improvements:
-HD guitar and pickup modeling offers a major evolution of our Variax modeling technology. This advancement improves the playability of the guitars as well as the authenticity of their tone.
-Alternate tuning of 12 strings. You can now create your own customer tunings of 12-string instruments and store them in Workbench.
-With the included Workbench HD software you can blend in the magnetic pickup signal into your Variax model.
Known issues:
-Custom patches are not retained when updating from Variax 1.X to Variax HD. In this case Variax HD update will replace all of the presets in your James Tyler Variax guitars with all-new HD guitars. Variax HD introduces the new HD preset format to Workbench HD and the guitar. Be sure to backup any customer presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware. For a full list of Variax HD models, please visit line6.com.
For JTV-89 Customers Only: The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 and loaded into custom bank 1 are now available in the Workbench software by loading the custom JTV bank available online.

About Workbench Software
Variax Workbench(tm) HD is the companion editor for the James Tyler(r) Variax(r) guitars with Variax HD firmware. The all-new Workbench(tm) HD software lets you mix and match body styles, pickups, components and more to create unique instruments or revered classics. Thanks to a variety of customer-requested features, you have even more control when tweaking existing HD instruments or creating new ones from scratch. Think of it like your own personal custom shop for James Tyler Variax.
Workbench HD is available as a download from http://www.line6.com/software or from within the Line 6 Monkey firmware installer application. Workbench HD is compatible with all James Tyler Variax guitars that have been updated with the Variax HD firmware V2.0 or greater.
The Variax Workbench HD installer and Variax Workbench HD software provide instructions for setting up your computer, guitar and the included hardware and software. Please run the installer or the Variax Workbench HD software to view these instructions. You must be connected to the Internet to perform this installation.
PLEASE NOTE: The James Tyler Variax guitar must be connected to your computer via the Workbench VDI-to-USB interface or VDI-to-POD HD-to-USB in order to use Workbench HD.

whippinpost91850

Elantric, Any further word on your Gk pickup mod for Variax.

Elantric

Not yet - schedule is rather hectic lately - but its still on my "to do list.

One thing I experience is when using Variax Mode, my JTV-69 (which is my 3rd after 3 RMA returns back in 2012) sounds much better than my 2010 1st release Restock JTV-59. On my JTV-59 the Variax Modeling output is 20% lower volume compared to my newer JTV-69 , which impacts the gain of everything down stream  (Amp Distortion, Tone etc), and no amount of twiddling the Workbench HD Edit solves this. (Yes my String levels in Workbench HD are on "10"

Also when I tried the HD 2.0 FW last year, the new Tele Full HB Model sounded like straight clean piezos - with HD 2.10 it finally sounds like a Johnny Lang Tele. 
I have the orignal Variax Schematic  - but no access to the Tyler Variax schematic.
I want to dive in and make a schematic of the mag PU circuit and its associated final output path - and compare the JTV-59 to the JTV-69  - they each sound very different here with measurable different voltage output levels  - its not simply due to the different physical characteristics of the wood or scale length. It could be related to the very different style of piezo saddles on each though (hmm?) 

I suspect upon review of the schematic, there is a final output mix resistor network circuit on the internal electronics   - perhaps the resistor values used there  have changed over the years, between intial 2010 Variax release compared to what they now use today on their 2014 Variax DSP board BOM (bill of materials). This might explain why some dealers are selling older "NOS" Tyler Variaxs for $799 - its cheaper for Line6 to inform dealers to sell off their older inventory at a discount  - rather than do RMAs for every guitar and have a Line 6 Technician swap the values on 3 internal surface mount resistors on the DSP board. 

whippinpost91850

Thanks for the info.  I bought a JTV89  on the before Xmas blow out sale. I have yet to really use it as I want to do a Lefty rebuild (body) but just don't like not being able to palm mute the the Piezo bridge.  Well I 'll hold off a little longer ,before I sell it, to see what you come up with. Again Thanks Paul

Elantric

I do own a RackVax ( I designed its internal PCBs) - very tempted to update the RackVax to the Tyler DSP board  - I just need a 3 month leave of absence from day gig to have time to explore all these excursions in obscure guitaring! 

To bad my 1st wife would not let me go on the road with David Bowie as Earl Slicks guitar tech back in 1983 !!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on June 04, 2014, 02:50:23 PM
I do own a RackVax ( I designed its internal PCBs) - very tempted to update the RackVax to the Tyler DSP board  - I just need a 3 month leave of absence from day gig to have time to explore all these excursions in obscure guitaring! 

To bad my 1st wife would not let me go on the road with David Bowie as Earl Slicks guitar tech back in 1983 !!

That would and would have been awesome on both accounts!!!!!!
Yes, an updated Rackvax would be pretty cool 8)

Elantric

QuoteYes, an updated Rackvax would be pretty cool 8)

Sadly its not going to happen

The RackVax story is  a bit like this. 
(the story and the names have been changed to protect the innocent!)

A young entrepreneur dreams of being Owner and Chief Engineer of an Electric ski boat company.
He buys a new $50K Tesla Motors Electric Car, and then completely disassembles it in his garage and proceeds to spend the next two years installing all the Tesla Electric Motor, Tesla Power management system and Batteries into his self designed Electric Ski Boat. He sends Tesla Motors pics of his progress every 6 months,  describing all the effort he is putting in. Figuring its a one off, Tesla sales reps respond with encouragement. Upon completion of his Electric Ski Boat, our entrepreneur places the retail price at $80K each, after calculating his overhead, required profit margin  - all assuming that once the Tesla CEO sees this new Electric Ski Boat, he will be happy to sell raw components below wholesale price to build 100 boats a month. Our young entrepreneur posts computer generated pics on social networks, and accepts new product orders, and over an 18 month period actually builds, sells, and delivers around a dozen electric boats to paying customers, but these all must be built using working Tesla Motors components removed from used cars located on Ebay and on craigslist.
Eventually Tesla discontinues the current model car , and releases an updated new version of their electric  car, forcing a redesign of the Electric boat.  Our young entrepreneur implores Tesla Motors to consider selling him their latest greatest components at "dealer cost", in order to continue his dream. The outcome was  predictable -  with Tesla saying: "sorry,  cant accommodate your request", so the Electric Ski Boat company folded.

All that effort was not wasted though , as it did help Cory land a job at Intel.

Elantric

QuoteElantric, Any further word on your Gk pickup mod for Variax.

At this hour I'm so blown away by the Guitar Modeling on the Boss GP-10, its likely I'll get back to work on the  13 pin Output to drive the GP-10, which delivers far better Guitar Modeling than Line6 (and better Amp modeling compared to HD500X)

mbenigni

Quote...and better Amp modeling compared to HD500X

Wow.   :o

Elantric

Remember I'm NOT a Heavy Metal Kid! But yes  - reading others reviews and words regarding the
GP-10 Experience, is akin to (as Zappa said)  "Dancing About Architecture"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11862.msg85999#msg85999

No forum post, photos, spoken words, MP3 audio recordings, or Youtube videos can effectively communicate or act as a substitute for real hands on experience and actual one on one "play time" with any piece of music gear - including the Boss GP-10.

While the Boss GP-10 is just another tool, I've determined its exactly the right tool for my specific needs. 

I'll leave it to a guitar center salesman to convince you to use "Gear A" over "Gear B".

I'm just reporting what gear I'm currently focused on using for my specific needs and requirements , and how I'm accomplishing those goals. 

germanicus

Quote from: Elantric on July 23, 2014, 11:09:39 AM
Remember I'm NOT a Heavy Metal Kid! But yes  - reading others reviews and words regarding the
GP-10 Experience, is akin to (as Zappa said)  "Dancing About Architecture"

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11862.msg85999#msg85999

No forum post, photos, spoken words, MP3 audio recordings, or Youtube videos can effectively communicate or act as a substitute for real hands on experience and actual one on one "play time" with any piece of music gear - including the Boss GP-10.

While the Boss GP-10 is just another tool, I've determined its exactly the right tool for my specific needs. 

I'll leave it to a guitar center salesman to convince you to use "Gear A" over "Gear B".

I'm just reporting what gear I'm currently focused on using for my specific needs and requirements , and how I'm accomplishing those goals. 

Recorded comparisons DO however go a long way in helping people make determinations. Whether its Bill rupperts sound demos of the vg99 or various youtube videos with direct output recordings demonstating modelling tones. 
Elantric anyway you could record some acoustic tones of your gp10 and jt variax for comparison?
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

mbenigni

Back to the topic of GP-10 amp modeling, and its comparing favorably vs. the POD HD500X - how would you say it compares with (the best profiles on) the Kemper?  I know when, for instance, Bias hit on iOS, some were saying the tones were comparable, or at least in the ballpark, but obviously an iOS app presents latency issues.  Do you think the GP-10 has narrowed the gap between COSM and a premium solution like the KPA?  The GR55 and KPA are worlds apart IMO, but Bias at its best can give the KPA a run for its money.

Of course the KPA is always a bit of a wildcard, in that it really comes down to the quality of the profiles.  But comparing each product "giving its best shot", how do they stack up?  I'm starting to get sensitive about all of the money I've got tied up in redundant gear I'm not using - gear that will inevitably depreciate over the next year or two.  It'd be nice to start identifying best options and thinning the herd some.

Elantric

QuoteRecorded comparisons DO however go a long way in helping people make determinations.

There's plenty of Boss GP-10 Youtube demos on tap for review here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10884.0

The Kemper still rules for Amp Tone- but there are times when I need more mobility  And I  love my GP-10 - Easy to gig right out of the box frankly,  most presets make sense to me, and no audio gaps during patch transitions, means a more fluid musical experience .
And at Group buy pricing I can buy 6  Boss GP-10s for the price of one Kemper

With the GP-10 alone  - feeding clean input on Cube 80XL , I'm getting great sounds that work and "feel right" for my needs, and nobody in the audience would hear the difference if I ran GP-10 into the Kemper for Amp modeling instead.
By Contrast Ive tried hard to like my Line 6 POD HD500, even got the updated HD500X, but to me Line 6 Amp modeling is not a good match for my needs, just feels plastic and detached. and HD500X  does not feel right until you plug it into the Line6 DT-50 Tube Amp - but then the volume easily goes into Arena Concert dB levels, and upon review, If I was abe to play that loud at every gig, I'd prefer running my 1966 Vox AC30 Top Boost and my '67 Fender Super Reverb, and have better tone and "feel".

Also know that the latest  / greatest Roland COSM Amp Modeling is now available in GP-10, GT-001, and Firmware updated GT-100 FW 2.00  - and sounds rather equal on all three units 

To re-write  a popular tune Sonny Bono sang in the 60's "The Beat goes on, DSPs get faster all the time"

We live in an era where every 6 months there's a new product with higher DSP processing power, and more memory and higher resolution which provides more space and faster speed of execution to allow the mathematicians to run their best algorithms, that had to be held back on prior lower performing hardware. 

And I can easily Use GP-10 for Guitar modeling  and feed its output into the Kemper - quite a few of us are already doing that with much success - and GP-10 is cheaper than a many Squier guitars.

And for the peanuts price of GP-10 ( from my perspective) I can lend my 2nd GP-10 and Gk-3 to my other guitarists and expand the sound with my band , ( and get more work) which would pay for the GP-10 after three gigs. 

mbenigni

Thanks, Steve - great observations.

The Kemper has been a strange distraction.  I'm not a professional musician and it was a considerable investment for something that is seldom practical for me to use.  If I were making recordings right now I would have a very different perspective, but I'm mainly rehearsing for and performing at bar gigs and the like, where the KPA is simply more maintenance and risk than I can justify.  And it's weird that it's held its value so well; high-tech music gear never appreciates the way the KPA has.  I keep thinking it would make sense to sell it to someone who will use it now, bank the proceeds, and buy same or better later as the need arises.  But it's always hard to let go of such a cool piece... to make no mention of finding the buyer, trusting it to ship safely, etc.

drbill

Agreed about the Kemper. My son & I use mine, but I cringe every time he takes it out of the house, since it's so expensive to replace. I keep thinking maybe I'll sell it, but I think I'll wait at least until I can so how well I can integrate Bias on the Mac into my setup.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

mbenigni

QuoteI feel your pain.  Don't have a KPA, but sure do have a lot of high-tech guitar gear that doesn't see much use.  Thinking unloading something would help me justify getting my hands on the coveted GP-10 since the value of the infrequently used tech gear is only likely to keep going down.  Now which of my babies should I sell?

I just succumbed and pulled the trigger on an EHX B9 Organ Machine, and the GP-10 and VoiceLive 3 are still in my peripheral vision, so something has got to give.  :)  It doesn't have to be the Kemper straight away; I have lots of little pedals etc. I can do with out.  But I know I'm going to wake up to an announcement from Kemper (or one of their competitors) one day that instantly discounts used KPA's $300-$400.

chrisaxeman

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 04, 2014, 02:44:26 PM
Thanks for the info.  I bought a JTV89  on the before Xmas blow out sale. I have yet to really use it as I want to do a Lefty rebuild (body) but just don't like not being able to palm mute the the Piezo bridge.  Well I 'll hold off a little longer ,before I sell it, to see what you come up with. Again Thanks Paul

I have just ordered a JTV from guitarguitar (UK) yesterday..... How can I tell if I have been sold "old" stock or "new"?

I have read a lot of guys have had trouble upgrading to 2.1 and I don't want to be one of them!

Deus02

Quote from: chrisaxeman on September 25, 2014, 11:30:37 PM

I have just ordered a JTV from guitarguitar (UK) yesterday..... How can I tell if I have been sold "old" stock or "new"?

I have read a lot of guys have had trouble upgrading to 2.1 and I don't want to be one of them!

I assume the only way you could possibly tell the vintage of the instrument is by the serial number and contacting Line 6 directly.  I have a JTV69 purchased in the first year of introduction and have NEVER had any problems with any of the updates and I have no idea why a few had issues.   Like most of these forums,  out of the thousands of products that are sold, generally it is a few that, when issues occur, are more likely to comment and the issues often link back to the users computer and its connections, not necessarily the guitar itself.    I wouldn't worry about it.  It was awhile in coming, but, as mentioned above, when it comes to using the new WB software, this update makes life a lot simpler(and it is noticeably faster loading and unloading your changes than the previous version).

germanicus

I have the one of the first batch of JTV69's, and had no issue updating.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Spider

Quote from: germanicus on July 23, 2014, 10:14:40 PM
Recorded comparisons DO however go a long way in helping people make determinations. Whether its Bill rupperts sound demos of the vg99 or various youtube videos with direct output recordings demonstating modelling tones. 
Elantric anyway you could record some acoustic tones of your gp10 and jt variax for comparison?

Germanicus could you compare FW 1.9 vs 2.1? I like Workbench HD but...

Elantric

POD HD500X Flash Memory v2.60 RELEASE NOTES
POD HD500X v2.60 is a FREE firmware update that includes additional features and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all POD HD500X users perform this update! It is also recommended that you back up your current presets by using POD HD500X Edit to create a preset bundle, allowing you to include installing new presets as part of the update process. The easiest way to perform the update process is by installing the latest version of Line 6 Monkey. Once you've connected your POD HD500X to your computer via USB port (hubs are not supported), Monkey will recognize the unit and take you through the update process. The Line 6 Monkey application may be downloaded here.
What's New?
Global EQ — Global EQ is used for compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio, and is applied to all setlists and presets. Global EQ features three fully parametric bands plus variable low and high cut filters.

To access Global EQ:
Press and hold the VIEW button to open the Setup Menu.
Using the four-way, cursor right until you see the Global EQ screen.
Turn Knob 1 to select the desired EQ band (Low Cut, Low, Mid, High, High Cut) and turn Knobs 2, 3, and/or 4 to adjust the selected band.
To bypass or enable Global EQ, press ENTER.
NOTE—Due to L6 LINK's flexible routing, Global EQ is not available at this output.

Support for optional Model Packs—Firmware 2.6 supports three new Amp/Cab Model Packs:

Metal Pack—includes models based on* modern heavy gain amps like the Peavey® 5150® and a remastered JCM800
Vintage Pack—includes models based on* classics like the Vox® AC30 Fawn and the Orange® OR80
Bass Pack—includes models based on* an Ampeg® SVT and a GK Gallien-Kruger 800RB

Model Packs can be purchased here.

Variax Presets—Firmware 2.6 adds an additional "VARIAX" setlist of 64 presets, optimized for use with Line 6 Variax guitars. Selecting a preset from this setlist may recall a particular guitar model and tuning in a connected Variax.

Known Issues
Set List Names—If during the update process new presets are optionally loaded to overwrite the previous set, Set List names may not correlate to the new presets appropriately. This is because renaming Set Lists is not a part of the firmware update process. Set List names may be changed in the hardware using a variety of methods:
System Reset—Pressing (and holding down) the four-way navigation pad to the left while powering up will perform a Global Settings reset. This action will reset all settings to their factory default and requires a recalibration of the on-board expression pedal. Instructions for pedal calibration can be found here. Due to the pedal recalibration, it is generally recommended to update the Set List names using the manual method described below.
Manual—Set Lists may be renamed manually by simply highlighting a Set List name and pressing the SAVE button. Use the four encoders beneath the main display and press SAVE to complete.

The presets in firmware v2.60 correlate to the following Set List names, as seen in the main display from left to right, top to bottom:

BEST OF HD
FX HEAVY
SONGS / STYLE
BASS/ACO/VOC
L6LINK DT
VARIAX
USER 1
USER 2

FAQ For more information about POD HD500X, the POD HD FAQ can be found here.

Advanced User's Guide The latest version of the Advanced User's Guide for the PODHD500X can be found here.
http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434c6fb051e03e8ab63dc/application/pdf/POD%20HD500X%20Advanced%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. The product names and images are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Line 6's sound model development.