Zoom MS-100BT

Started by Zoppe, April 04, 2013, 02:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cell7

FWIW - mine doesnt have the noise issue, but perhaps because im not using the amps or drive pedals...

Bear

Quote from: cell7 on May 11, 2014, 05:25:05 PM
FWIW - mine doesnt have the noise issue, but perhaps because im not using the amps or drive pedals...

Same.  I've given a half-assed scroll through of the dirts, and some seem noisier than others, but no global noise issues.

cell7

@elantric - just remembered something i read in the research before buying the pedal - were you using it on battery power when you experienced the noise? I think i remember reading that there is a battery-saving mode that reduces the processing resolution or something similar and it doesnt sound as good... Give it a try on a power adapter and see if you get the same issue.

rcf1956

No noise issues with mine either, and I only use rechargeable AA's. I don't often use distortion or amp models, but I am fond of the CentaGold and CarDrive. There's certainly a little bit of extra noise with these models, but that is easily tamed by the Zoom ZNR or Noisegate.

Elantric

I have sent mine back for a return, if I feed the MS-100BT Out into a computer Audio interface set to Instrument level sensitivity, the noise floor is acceptable.

Quite the opposite experience feeding a clean channel on a guitar amp  - its a flurry of noise that never goes away. and only gets worse when the MS-100BT FX pedal is "engaged"

I tried with MS-100BT Internal Dual AA  Battery power and using a Visual Sound One Spot +9VDC Power adapter.

Hoping this was an anomaly and my replacement  MS-100BT will have lower noise

rcf1956

Quite the opposite experience feeding a clean channel on a guitar amp  - its a flurry of noise than never goes away. and only gets worse when the MS-100BT FX pedal is "engaged"

Very strange that you're experiencing so much noise. Just a thought and highly unlikely that you've missed this, but when using the amp models, have you set the 'out' parameter appropriately (see table 3 in the effects parameters PDF)?

Elantric

I tried all presets - the biggest noise issue for me with my 1st MS-100BT (now sent back for an RMA return) is when the pedal is in Bypass (When the Red LED on the pedal is NOT Lit) - mine had -20db of white noise that sounds like a  rain storm when connected to my Clean Channel of my  Guitar Amp. (Roland Cube 80XL)

Elantric

my replacement Zoom MS-100BT just arrived today from Sam Ash - should be able to report on the noise floor again this weekend.

Elantric

OK

I tried my new replacement MS-100BT tonight and this one is a keeper.
night and day, yet both I tried were fresh from the factory.
This new one is much better and much lowernoise than the one I returned.

Ringleader

Glad to hear that the replacement is better. All things considered, the MS-100bt is quite possibly my favorite pedal I have ever owned. My only wish is that it had a USB port for midi preset change control like the MS-50G. The original prototype images showed a USB port in addition to the bluetooth, bummer that they dropped it.

rcf1956

Quote from: Ringleader on June 01, 2014, 06:29:47 AM
Glad to hear that the replacement is better. All things considered, the MS-100bt is quite possibly my favorite pedal I have ever owned.

It's my favourite pedal of the moment too; this with the EHX Slammi in front of it and a pair of good headphones, or the Roland Mobile Cube ...portable heaven. The Slammi does mess with some of the MS100bt patches though. I've just got the new Zoom G1on (mostly terrible factory presets) and manually copied a few of my MS100bt patches over; no inconsistencies with the copied patches, and the 30 second looper is great. About 20 hours use on 4xAA's. Would love Zoom to produce a MS sized standalone looping pedal.

slooky

I would like opinions on which one to get?

Elantric

I just wish these zoom pedals had a jack for external ctrl pedal.
Too many features / too few controls to access them and actually use them effectively.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9179.0

I prefer the Zoom G3  or G3X  - 3000% more useable at the gig

Mrchevy

100% agreed with Elantric. I had the G3X.....and have 2 MS50G's(same as MS100BT but without ability to add additional amps and models thru bluetooth purchases). Using these pedals is like trying to use a full professional version of Protools in a mobile phone app.(hypothetically). 100% goodies- 5% ability to use them. If you opened one up it would explode software all over the room. Really no practical use live unless you only need some basic settings and effects and don't mind having to make changes by hand during a gig. In a studio, if you want some good effects or models and need say a particular amp model/sound for a track, and want a few effects to tweak the sound, it is probably fine. In a nutshell.....good amp/effects models, but very little function for any real practical on the fly use. Think of it as a MFX processor without a foot controller or midi. There are better options out there. For instance, you could get a used Boss GT10 for about $100 more and go from driving a VW to a Mercedes. Just my 2 cents. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Ringleader

I agree that it would be nice to have exp input on the 100bt, but if you prefer patch mode to toggling individual stomps, the 100bt's circular patch switching is better than the G3's up/down patch switching if you use 3 or more patches. Not to mention all of the new effects algos it will run.

A simple mod is to tie an ext momentary switch to the preset/pedal mode button which gives you the circular preset switching and also allows toggling on/off a single individual stomp. You could also add a couple more switches to effect scroll left and right but I find this to be more of a hassle than it is worth.

slooky

I settled on the MS-100Bt. It really works for me. I just use it for my regular pickups for colour. Along with the Gp-10. Thanks for the comments.

Bear

Heads up for those who don't often cruise the Zoom StompShare app: there is a free "pedal," named "Dynamic Drive," added to the store.  This is a replacement for their pedal that was too obviously a Fulltone OCD tone clone which got removed, apparently with some sort of IP/trade dress issue.  Seems to be the same pedal to a T so buyers of the old aren't missing anything, and everyone else gets a freebie.  I haven't really used the dirt side of mine, but that one reminds me to dig in a bit more.

cell7

Quote from: Ringleader on November 23, 2014, 10:05:06 AM
I agree that it would be nice to have exp input on the 100bt, but if you prefer patch mode to toggling individual stomps, the 100bt's circular patch switching is better than the G3's up/down patch switching if you use 3 or more patches. Not to mention all of the new effects algos it will run.

A simple mod is to tie an ext momentary switch to the preset/pedal mode button which gives you the circular preset switching and also allows toggling on/off a single individual stomp. You could also add a couple more switches to effect scroll left and right but I find this to be more of a hassle than it is worth.

How do you tie the momentary switch to the preset pedal mode button? Ive been thinking of trying that...

Elantric

Bear

Heads up--all the paid amp and effect models in the iOS StompShare app are now free.  A nice gift from Zoom now that the pedal is discontinued.

I'm a bit vaguer on the details, but they seem to have a nearly as comprehensive update for the MS-50G, except for the bass models giving pretty much all the roster of effects.  Maybe also discontinued.

madwab

Ha, I found out today and checked in here to tell folk, but you beat me to it by a month. I just spent 90 minutes uploading fx and wondering if it would have room for all of them  it did, tho' I've so far not bothered with most of the bass fx. A nice thank you from Zoom to people who bought the unit: I just wish they had had the foresight to make this pedal what it should have been with Bluetooth - librarian, remote editor and patch selector etc etc - instead of not much more than a money grab. For its size, and now, with all fx free, also its price, I guess this is one of the most versatile standard size pedals there is.  :)