Triple Play and Ableton Live 9 (64-bit edition)

Started by creativeone, May 03, 2013, 03:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creativeone

Hey everybody - just joined up... I'm a GR-33 and now Triple Play user.   I spent a bit of time searching these forums and other sites for info about using Triple Play with Ableton Live 9 64-bit...  got it worked out now.  Here's what I did:

The 64-bit edition of Ableton Live supports only 64-bit VST plugins.  The Triple Play VST is 32bit. 

The program, JBridge 'bridges' 32bit vsts into 64bit versions that can be used by Ableton Live 9 64-bit.  The Triple Play VST works in this manner. 

1. Download JBridge here:
http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
You can get a demo version that works for 20min per launch to test it for yourself, then you have to purchase JBridge. (15 euros)

The JBridge application is recommended by Ableton:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/use-32-bit-plug-ins-live-64-bit-jbridge/

2. Find where your Triple Play VST instrument(s) were placed on installation...  for some reason, there are two of them.  A TriplePlay dll and a TriplePlay FX dll   (I don't know what the FX one is,... anyone know why the two dlls?)    On my system, they were installed to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\{pf}\VSTPlugins  ... I have no idea why... I've never installed a VST to that folder.   It would have been nice if the TriplePlay install let you specify a folder for VSTs, and maybe mentioned that its a 32-bit VST...  that would have certainly saved me some time.

3. Use the JBridge application in "Run as Administrator" mode (under preferences for the file)...  select the location of your existing 32-bit vsts/plugins (wherever your TriplePlay dlls are), then select the directory you use for Ableton 64-bit plugins...  then it will create some 64-bit "bridges" that will allow you to run the TriplePlay app as a VST in Ableton 9 64.   

4. Load up Ableton (in Run as Administrator mode), and refresh your plugin folder if it doesn't already show up in plugins.  Now you can load TP as a VST into a MIDI clip.  Put it in Hardware mode, adjust sensitivity, etc...   

5. Also, you're gonna want to setup the Triple Play as a MIDI device under preferences / MIDI... I think I selected MPK25 as the Control Surface (first dropdown), and then TriplePlay port 1.   I'm hoping someone will create a MIDI remote script for the Triple Play... Anyone???
http://julienbayle.net/blog/2013/03/03/ableton-live-9-python-remote-scripts/
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/ableton-live-midi-remote-scripting-how-to-custom-korg-nanoseries-control/

6. Set the track with the TP VST to no input, and use it just to access triple play settings, then in another MIDI track, select the Fishman Triple Play as the input, and channel 1 will have all the note/velocity data, along with some other control channel data I have yet to interpret... if anyone else knows what the mappings are, please share!!!   ...  and if you powered the TP transmitter on in hardware mode (hold up arrow while powering on), it will have each string in a separate MIDI channel (1-6), and also MIDI channel 8 appears to be doing something.. 

Note:  I have had intermittent issues with establishing a link between Triple Play transmitter, receiver and the application/VST...  sometimes it connects right away, sometimes I have to restart / toggle power / unplug/replug usb receiver... still trying to figure out exactly whats up with that and how to get it right the first time every time.   

Anyways, thought that might be helpful to Ableton Live 9 64-bit users.   If you guys have any other info about the prospect of a MIDI remote script, or control channels, please share...  am eager to get the most out of this!

- Jason

thebrushwithin

When I used Ablelton 8 on my Mac, it was picked up by Live, with nothing else to do. Worked perfectly!

Elantric

Jason, Welcome to the forum and thanks for the excellent Ableton Live9 64bit  /FTP Guide and tips!
Hopefully another Ableton user here might help with the Ableton MIDI remote script for the Triple Play! 

cc

Quote from: creativeone on May 03, 2013, 03:41:01 PM
..  for some reason, there are two of them.  A TriplePlay dll and a TriplePlay FX dll   (I don't know what the FX one is,... anyone know why the two dlls?)   

TriplePlay.dll in an Instrument and TriplePlayFX.dll is an Effect. They both do the same thing, but some DAWs treat instruments and effects differently, for instance some DAWs will not let you route audio to an Instrument, only to an Effect.

parks

Hi guys, I was lucky enough to grab a FTP from Thomann back in May and have so far been blown away by it. I've been playing guitar for about 16 years and tinkering with ableton for the last couple, so to be able to combine the two is fantastic!

One thing i've not been able to work out yet is how to start and stop clips in Ableton. I would like to be able to start a certain clip by playing a specific note on my guitar and have another note to stop it. Also to have notes set up to trigger different scenes. I've tried putting the FTP in hardware mode and using the midi map button in ableton but all notes seem to be trasmittied as the same value. I've also tried setting up the FTB as a controller and turning on "remote" on the input but still no luck.
This is probably really simple to set up for some of you guys on here as your knowledge amazes me but i'm struggling with my limited skills. If someone could help me out i would be very grateful.

Toby

bob303

Quote from: thebrushwithin on May 03, 2013, 04:00:32 PM
When I used Ablelton 8 on my Mac, it was picked up by Live, with nothing else to do. Worked perfectly!
Ableton 8 is a 32-bit program, thus it can use the Triple Play software which is also 32-bit.  Ableton 9 is 64-bit and can not use 32-bit VSTs like Triple Play unless something like JBridge is used to convert it.

UPDATE:  There is now a 64-bit version!
Just downloaded and installed Triple Play Software version: 1.1.3211 64-bit.  This works on my Windows 7 PC running Ableton 9.
JBridge or other VST conversion was not needed since this is now a 64-bit program.

hanson

Quote from: parks on July 13, 2013, 07:32:26 AM
One thing i've not been able to work out yet is how to start and stop clips in Ableton. I would like to be able to start a certain clip by playing a specific note on my guitar and have another note to stop it. Also to have notes set up to trigger different scenes. I've tried putting the FTP in hardware mode and using the midi map button in ableton but all notes seem to be trasmittied as the same value. I've also tried setting up the FTB as a controller and turning on "remote" on the input but still no luck.
Toby
Have you solved this problem yet? I've tried yesterday - the same result& I thought FTP is sending notes - and I can map a clip to certain note and trigger it from guitar... but no success. I've tried different settings in Ableton MIDI preferences for FTP - 'track', 'remote' but it didn't help.

parks

Hi Hanson

I've not yet managed to solve this. I'm surprised no one else is interested in doing this with their FTP as this was the main reason i wanted it. Whenever i try to map a note to a clip it looks like Ableton takes the info from midi channel 8 which i think is just for the FTP controller to communicate with the FTP app/VST. The only slight workaround i found was to drag the clip onto a drum rack slot.

Elantric

Remember the FTP presents itself to the PC/MAc as two separate MIDI I/O interfaces.

Do not use the one called "Triple play Control", and you might have better success in Ableton..

parks

Elantric, thanks for your reply. In Ableton I get Fishman triple play and Fishman triple play (Port 2). Even when I don't have track or remote selected for port 2 in the preferences, midi channel 8 is still sending information and this is what Ableton looks at when i'm trying to map a single note to a clip.

hanson

Thanks for your info.
I have half-solved this.... you can map clips to midi notes by learning from general midi keyboard and then by switching MIDI IN to ftp you can play those notes and corresponding clips will launch.

parks

Quote from: hanson on December 05, 2013, 12:31:03 PM
Thanks for your info.
I have half-solved this.... you can map clips to midi notes by learning from general midi keyboard and then by switching MIDI IN to ftp you can play those notes and corresponding clips will launch.

Thats a great work around, I didn't even think of trying that. I'll give it a go when i get home. I might have to invest in a small 2 octave keyboard so I can set clips to launch on the go without lugging my keboard around.
I wonder if you can assign notes to clips using the laptop keyboard and then trigger with the triple play? I'll give that a try too and report back.