VG-99 - Voice of Necam - Steve Hackett

Started by Smash, June 02, 2014, 11:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Ever since I had a go at a choir patch I've been trying to crack this - I don't think I've cracked....but it's an interesting tone!

So using the humaniser and lots of tight EQ-ing I took a shot a recreating the ethereal choral vocal sound used on the Voice of Necam track by Steve Hackett. Sometimes it sounds a bit voice like sometimes it sounds wide of the mark but it's surely an interesting tone!

EV2 on FC300 is volume swell and also activates the Freeze function in the very last part of travel.

There's a fair bit of automation going on in the assigns - controlling string volumes and panning to give a bit of movement.

Responds best to close harmony chords rather than wide spread stuff.

It sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/voice-of-necam-steve-hackett-vg99-patch-demo

:)

Breno

Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS200, VG-99, GR-55, FC-300 e US-20.

aliensporebomb

I loved that record - thanks for taking a stab at it.

You know how they did it, didn't you? 

In those days the automation for the mixing board was an analog signal recorded on a track on the tape instead of being separate from the rest of the audio data.  So you could actually listen to the automation.  I believe this track was done by routing the audio of the control signal for the automation thru a bunch of harmonizers, modulators and reverbs and they got that celestial choir effect.  Sounds like a super-mellotron.

I liked your demo - very close!

I can't wait to try this later today.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteIn those days the automation for the mixing board was an analog signal recorded on a track on the tape instead of being separate from the rest of the audio data.  So you could actually listen to the automation.  I believe this track was done by routing the audio of the control signal for the automation thru a bunch of harmonizers, modulators and reverbs and they got that celestial choir effect.  Sounds like a super-mellotron.

Which is a similar technique as 10CC employed for the track "I'm not in Love" in 1975

More Details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9232.msg78334#msg78334

Smash

Thanks guys  :)

Chords I used:

X80560  >   x32210  repeat

x80560   >  x32010

099780 >   x54232 repeat

x76454

That last chord always reminds me of the opening of Spectral Mornings!

---

Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_chord

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

VariousArtist

Quote from: Smash on June 02, 2014, 11:48:53 AM
Ever since I had a go at a choir patch I've been trying to crack this - I don't think I've cracked....but it's an interesting tone!

So using the humaniser and lots of tight EQ-ing I took a shot a recreating the ethereal choral vocal sound used on the Voice of Necam track by Steve Hackett. Sometimes it sounds a bit voice like sometimes it sounds wide of the mark but it's surely an interesting tone!

EV2 on FC300 is volume swell and also activates the Freeze function in the very last part of travel.

There's a fair bit of automation going on in the assigns - controlling string volumes and panning to give a bit of movement.

Responds best to close harmony chords rather than wide spread stuff.

It sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/voice-of-necam-steve-hackett-vg99-patch-demo

:)

Fantastic stuff Smash!  As well as being a fan of Hackett, I have always particularly liked the vocal choir sounds on this song, and you've done a remarkable job in emulating it on the VG-99.  I also checked out your other music on SoundCloud and really enjoyed that too.

I recently performed a 100-minute set of early Steve Hackett material live with a new tribute band and we paid homage to the original arrangement of Tigermoth, complete with guitar synth middle section and acoustic duet outtro, etc.  If you are interested, here's a link to this song --  all performed with a VG-99:

All the best
Peter

Smash

Thanks Peter. God the thought of learning 100 minutes of Hackett's challenging chords is super scary! Much respect. Have you got a Fernandes sustainer? He's a bit keen on them! Think you've found a pretty good niche doing Hackett tribute TBH. Nice one.

VariousArtist

It scared the willies out me, Scott.  But once I dove into the project I found it was not necessarily easier but rather it held my attention long enough to get through it in time.  This band started rehearsals just a few months before our debut show, so it's a testimony to the calibre of the whole band.

I mostly use my Godin LGXTA into the Roland VG-99.  Somehow the Fernandes sustainer is not appealing to me (though I am not so averse either, just indifferent).  I do think the sustains that Hackett got with his "old crappy gear" had more energy, vibe and feel to them.  Maybe clicking a switch to get the sustain is just not the same.  But then, who am I to talk when I'm using the VG-99 to get a ton of varied sounds in one neat little box :P

aliensporebomb

Bravo!  I'm a fan of that period of Hackett's work and this song is a particular favorite.  Wonderful renditions!!!!  Bravo!

So how did you zero in on getting the Hackett tones?  I'd bet the programming was half the work!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Quote from: VariousArtist on October 09, 2016, 03:01:35 PM
I mostly use my Godin LGXTA into the Roland VG-99.  Somehow the Fernandes sustainer is not appealing to me (though I am not so averse either, just indifferent).  I do think the sustains that Hackett got with his "old crappy gear" had more energy, vibe and feel to them.  Maybe clicking a switch to get the sustain is just not the same.  But then, who am I to talk when I'm using the VG-99 to get a ton of varied sounds in one neat little box :P

Don't forget the original GR500 he used on Tigermoth etc. had an infinite sustain system - basically a sustainer - so I don't think you'd ever be criticised for using a susatiner or sustainiac pick up if you chose to :)

BTW your vocalist sounds uncannily like Pete Hicks! As you say - you've got a quality band around you there - again, great job and looking forward to more vids. Do you do anything from Please Don't Touch (I'm guessing the title track is an obvious one)