Live gig Lyrics and MIDI Patch Control

Started by concordal, June 16, 2013, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonemasterus

Thanks Elantric!  I knew you could fill in what is lacking in my brain!

Lol
Dave ;D

tomtheguitarguy

OnSong is great! Allows me to use backing tracks if I want - and if other band members have an iPad, I can share the chart with them - even able to "mirror" my iPad, so that when I changed songs, it will change on their iPad as well.

Plus, if there is an Internet connection, I can also search for charts as well.

If the chart is in chordpro or OnSong format (basically text), you can change the key, add a capo, etc.

http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

GraemeJ

Apple make some nice stuff, but it's not exactly the cheapest on the block. 

Also, I find the iPad screen size a little too small for this purpose and I suggest you go the Android tablet route, where you have more options on screen size. 

There's a great piece of dirt cheap software - http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ - for handling the files, which is under constant development by someone who actually listens to his customers. It has a ton of useful features, many of which I have yet to explore, and with more to  come.  I bought a 13" tablet (almost equivalent to an A4 piece of paper) and the software for half the cost of an iPad.

Whatever you choose, you will wonder why it took you so long to move to a more modern way of working.  It has changed my life completely - best investment I ever made in this area. I have close to 2,000 charts in a thing the size of a piece of paper and less than a cm thick - it really is close to magic :) .

rolandvg99

Never used unrealBook, but have iReal, Setlist Maker and Bandhelper.

For my own stuff and cameo appearances in other bands I use SetList Maker. For my main band we use Bandhelper with full Setlist maker functionality, scheduling and easy tracking of economics. I use iReal for some quick Band-in-a-box style backing.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

mbenigni

Thank you for testing and getting back so fast, Dave!  These apps all overlap so much in functionality it's hard to make a decision.  I really wish they all had timed demos.  I guess at some point you have to just "pick a lane" and adapt, but at a glance Unreal Book looks like it will suit my way of thinking.  Time to roll the dice in the App Store again.  :)

GraemeJ, I agree, a bigger screen (ideally, 8.5x11") would be preferable to what the iPad offers.  I've heard rumors that Apple has something in the works, but of course it will be costly.  I'm pretty well invested in the iOS app scene, though, and I don't want to wind up with multiple tablets.  Too many devices with files scattered here and there = stress.

GraemeJ

I had no previous investment in an iPad (or any other tablet) so I was able to pick what worked best for the task in hand - and for me, that primarily meant a larger screen.

Given you already have the iPad, then sticking with it does make sense.

I also heard that Apple were likely to release a larger screen version .... but I shudder to think how much it might cost!!

TheGuitarPlayer

I like forScore (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forscore/id363738376). All these apps seem to have pretty similar functionality.

As for your original question about the general concept, yes it does work and works really well.  I've been doing it for years with a Windows Tablet PC first and then an iPad, and I never have to worry about light levels, a strong breeze flipping pages, carting around huge books; I'll never go back to paper.  As for scrolling, forScore just paginates content (and allows for half page turns).  I used to use a foot controller, but most of the time these days I'm just reading single/double page lead sheets, so it's not really necessary.  If I had to read bigger scores, I'd definitely be investing in any one of the Bluetooth-based controllers that work with these apps.

BackDAWman

Quote from:  GraemeJ on May 08, 2014, 03:50:28 AM
Apple make some nice stuff, but it's not exactly the cheapest on the block. 

Also, I find the iPad screen size a little too small for this purpose and I suggest you go the Android tablet route, where you have more options on screen size. 

There's a great piece of dirt cheap software - http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ - for handling the files, which is under constant development by someone who actually listens to his customers. It has a ton of useful features, many of which I have yet to explore, and with more to  come.  I bought a 13" tablet (almost equivalent to an A4 piece of paper) and the software for half the cost of an iPad.

Whatever you choose, you will wonder why it took you so long to move to a more modern way of working.  It has changed my life completely - best investment I ever made in this area. I have close to 2,000 charts in a thing the size of a piece of paper and less than a cm thick - it really is close to magic :) .

I want to go this route as well but not having MIDI is a deal breaker. I know they will have it 'soon' but not soon enough it seems...

BassPlaya

I use the iGigBook app.  I have many real books and fake books as paper copies as well as PDF versions of them.  Prior to the iGigBook app I would have to check either the paper book or the PDF to see if a particular song was in it.  Now I just type in the name of the tune and the indexed search feature of the app pulls up all of the versions of it and I can just choose which one I want to use.  I've been on many a gig where this app has made me the hero due to the ability to quickly get at a tune no matter where it is.  The app also includes a collection of over 1300 chord charts as well that you can transpose, you can't create your own nor do they come with a backing track which is fine for me since I use the app and the iPad for gigging and rehearsing pretty much exclusively.

Elantric

QuoteI use the iGigBook app.  I have many real books and fake books as paper copies as well as PDF versions of them.  Prior to the iGigBook app I would have to check either the paper book or the PDF to see if a particular song was in it.  Now I just type in the name of the tune and the indexed search feature of the app pulls up all of the versions of it and I can just choose which one I want to use.  I've been on many a gig where this app has made me the hero due to the ability to quickly get at a tune no matter where it is.  The app also includes a collection of over 1300 chord charts as well that you can transpose, you can't create your own nor do they come with a backing track which is fine for me since I use the app and the iPad for gigging and rehearsing pretty much exclusively.

I just wish i could figure out how to register at my.igigbook.com Requires entering a UserName and Password (which one?> iTunes? >iGigBook? New User?) before you can enter your  UserName and Password - I'm stumped.
http://forum.igigbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1044

- rather lackluster documentation that goes in circles  - despite a strong user forum
http://forum.igigbook.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5

And I ding iGigBook  a few points lower for not supporting landscape view on iPad

cooltouch

I have an old real book that was given to me by a friend years ago, plus I have a bunch of printouts from some of the better arrangements I've found for Band in a Box. So do I understand correctly, I'd have to make PDFs of all the tunes I want to use with iGigBook? And what's the best way to get these files into my iPad? Load them to my iCloud or something? What if I loaded then up to my website? Could I d/l them that way?

Sorry if these are really noob sounding questions, but I'm still kinda new to iOS and the iPad.

I took another look at the various apps that are available and ran across one called Calypso Jam, which is the free version. There is a bewildering number of possibilities it offers, and I haven't had the time to give it a proper tryout, but hopefully soon. It does seem as if the iGigBook app is the most popular, though. So I guess I should go ahead and spring for it. Although Elantric's difficulties do give me pause.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

In response to this threads title: " iReal Pro or iGigBook? Or do I just get both?"

I suggest neither

I own most of these and I still prefer  Setlistmaker for the way i work at a gig - has everything I need in a logical accessible format that feels like home to me.

I could be wrong but it seems iGigBook requires a live internet connection, and most places I play don't have Wifi,  - and I find  iGigBook Docs extremely confusing. add it only works in Portrait mode and has fewer features compared to SetListmaker- and I find the support lacking,  - still can't use iGigbook since I still can't figure out how to create my password - seems really lame IMHO.

Add I use these  for gigs where I'm sitting in with a songwriter with their own original tunes,and I created my own tabs / chord charts / shorthand reminders. - So downloading the tabs to "Girl From Ipanema" is something I don't need on a bandstand - but I appreciate those who do need such tools

But everyone has there own needs and method of working and ability to comprehend for their amount of time they have.

mbenigni

QuoteSo do I understand correctly, I'd have to make PDFs of all the tunes I want to use with iGigBook?

I've never used iGigBook, but with most of these apps there are a variety of ways to import files.  If you already have scans in PDF or some other supported format, you should be able to drag these from your Mac/PC to the iPad app via iTunes.  Alternately, if you have the document saved on your iPad, or attached to an email, you might be able to "Open In", specifying iGigBook.  It depends on which of the conventional interfaces it's been programmed to support.  iGigBook may even just let you point the iPad's camera at a page of your Real Book and snap a picture of the chart you need.  That's my preferred method (in Unreal Book) because I'm a lazy S.O.B.  ;)

Elantric's preference for Setlist Maker Pro encourages me to circle back and work with it some more, and see if I can't get a better feel for it.  I didn't love it at first, and generally find Unreal Book more intuitive.  But Unreal Book has its quirks, too, so it remains to be seen which is actually better after some persistence on my part.

setlistmaker

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to note that Set List Maker is now available for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arlomedia.setlistmaker

It won't be up to the full functionality of the iOS version for a while, but all the MIDI functionality should be there now:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/main/features.html

Elantric

Thanks for the update!

Many Set List Maker users are here at VguitarForums

Set List Maker - Lyrics and MIDI Patch change control setup
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.0

pedwards2932

I think I had mentioned Mobilesheets as an android version for doing this early on and I have been using it for over a year and it has been great.  I bought a 10" cheapo tablet at walmart online for about 80 bucks and the app cost 9 bucks.  I dedicated that tablet to just my cheat sheets and it has worked out great.  No more sheet music blowing off my stand.  I have been playing our music so long that I know it by heart but when there has been a few weeks between gigs it is a lifesaver when I am having a brainfart (we tend to not practice....ever).  Doesn't have midi yet as far as I know but my setup is so simple (just the GR55 and a keyboard amp) I don't need it.  I have included the patch name on the cheat sheets so it is pretty simple to jump to my patches.

Toby Krebs

Using the SLM more and more for GR55 gigging and sometimes running Jamup on my iphone while using setlist maker to control GR55 midi patch changes at the same time. Using Onsong at acoustic duo gigs 3 times a month for the ability to scroll to about 450 songs I have downloaded for free from the internet.

For those kind of gigs Onsong is great.Time saver because it can grab tunes with chords and lyrics from the internet no manual input of data.

lots of options.I am considering a second ipad mini or perhaps a cheap Android tablet for a specific function(Real Book jazz gigs)

great to not have the paper problem anymore

Toby Krebs

SLM for Android hmmmm...I could buy a Samsung tablet just for this purpose and not buy another Ipad.
I would like something I could beat around with/still have SLM and not have to watch over it during breaks like an Ipad.
I played my Laguna GK3 guitar at a club gig last week.

The Ipad costs a lot more than the damn guitar did lol!

Elantric

Some "non Tablet"apps that accomplish Live Lyric and Chordchart view at gig

Apple Mainstage ( Mac)
https://www.apple.com/euro/mainstage/a/generic_us/images/overview_performers_vocalists.jpg

Band in a Box (Windows / Mac)
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

LiveChord Chord Chart Software- (Windows)

http://www.livechord.com/products/chord-chart-software-2/chord-chart-software-on-multiple-screens/

liveChord is an application designed for use in personal, live and studio settings. It provides a user-friendly system for managing the music process from planning to performance. Chord charts can be quickly and easily added to liveChord to create a searchable library of your songs. Your entire repertoire is available to you at the click of a button. Once in liveChord, songs can quickly be edited, transposed and added to set lists. liveChord can also store additional information for each song including: tempo, timing, custom search attributes, comments, and attachments such as mp3 tracks. liveChord even includes a media player for playing the attached media files. Once a song has been selected, the tempo indicator begins blinking at the preset tempo, the default attachment is automatically loaded and the system volume is set to the predetermined starting volume for that attachment. A media tracker shows the position of the media and can be dragged to any desired position for quick search.

Keep your entire team on the same page by using one of the liveChord complete systems. Using a single computer and multiple LCD screens, each musician will have their chord charts displayed on their own personal digital music stand. Imagine no more paper, no more last minute searching and copying chord charts. Imagine being able to transpose chord charts to any key with the click of your mouse.

Add custom attributes to each song for enhanced search functionality. Search your entire song library by title, lyrics or by alphabetical index.

Go paperless with interactive digital chord charts
Display chord charts on multiple screens with a single computer
Use secondary screen to show charts in capoed keys, lyrics only etc.
Transpose chord charts "on-the-fly"
Song Editor for easily creating and editing chord charts
Customize each song by determining key, tempo, timing, genre and more
Easily import and export chord charts including: lcc, cho, pdf, rtf, txt, and MS Word Documents
Get started quickly with song templates
Automatically format song text copied and pasted from other programs
Search entire song database by title, lyrics, key, genre, alphabetical index and custom song attributes
Easily adjust chord and lyric size for best screen fit
Keyboard shortcuts allow nearly hands-free operation during performance
Create set lists for studio, rehearsal or live performances
Keep all team members on the same page during rehearsal and performance
Integrated messaging system for sending instant messages to other screens.
Integrated media player for playing loops, support tracks and more
One-click fade in and fade out of media tracks
Multiple media attachments for each song
Automatically load default track and set system volume when a song is activated on a set list
Monitor and control play position of track with the media tracker
Metronome for displaying tempo for each song
Communicate with team members:
Maintain contact information for each member
Send performance agendas via email
Customize your entire liveChord experience with the Options Screen
Show chords or Nashville Numbers
- See more at: http://www.livechord.com/features/#sthash.d7CcAsw3.dpuf

---
ChartTrax

http://www.charttrax.com/index.htm

Features
Silo
trebleOrganize all your sheet music, charts, guitar tab, lyrics, set lists, shows/gigs, and other electronic format files in one compact, convenient location.

trebleChartTrax supports electronic versions of your music charts in any format your computer is capable of opening.

trebleImport music from all the popular music and graphics programs directly into the ChartTrax.

trebleUnlike other programs, you do not need to manually enter your charts information.

trebleSimply point ChartTrax to the folder you keep your charts, tab or sheet music in and ChartTrax will add and index each one automatically.

trebleFind a chart as fast as turning a page.

trebleActive search box filter your charts on the fly, as you type.

trebleQuick Buttons A-Z, will quickly take you to the chart you need.

trebleTake it to all your gigs without carrying bundles of paper sheet music.

trebleLyrics can also be organized into a paperless digital library.

trebleDownload sheet music from any online source and ChartTrax will organize it. Click Here to see our list of recommened sheet music sites.

trebleOne-Click Backup of your entire sheet music library.

Elantric

In the past couple years - OnSong has really made many good upgrades to their "Live gig Lyrics and MIDI Patch Control" app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onsong/id502344938?mt=8
http://www.onsongapp.com/

Description
With OnSong, you can manage huge collections of chord charts and lyrics sheets for your band or worship team on a simple, lightweight device. Quickly pull and reorder lists and flip from one song to the next with ease. Transpose and highlight chords or change font size with a brush of your finger! Playing music has never been more simple. This software is built for live performance musicians.

You can import songs directly from online sources such as Dropbox, or add your own songs with the built-in editor. Just type the song like you would expect and surround your chords in square brackets inline with your lyrics. It's that easy! OnSong automatically detects sections and titles for you when you end them with a colon.

You can also import your existing songs using iTunes file sharing or Dropbox. OnSong supports PDF, Word, Pages, JPG, PNG, TIFF, ChordPro and text file formats.

When you have your set just the way you want it, share it with your band member's iPad's wirelessly. Listen to the song you are playing directly from your iTunes music library, play a metronome or get the music iTunes with just one tap. This app is loaded with features that musicians demand.

Features:
• Simple song and chord entry
• Import, export and synchronize with Dropbox and others
• Pull and change songs for set lists fast
• Flip or tap through all the songs in your set
• Transpose and capo with the brush of a finger
• Highlight or bold chords for visibility
• Change font size and style
• Keep track of your past sets and archive
• Import songs from your online sources
• Play music from your iTunes music library
• Play a click track to a metronome for each song
• Share wirelessly with your band members over Bluetooth
• Send your list to your team via email
• Print your set wirelessly to an AirPrint printer
• Works with many foot pedals such as the AirTurn BT-105, Griffin Stompbox and iRig Blueboard
• Project lyrics or use a stage monitor with VGA, HDMI or AirPlay video support

and works with Google ChromeCast

OnSong has always had powerful lyrics projection software built right in. This includes smooth transitions, beautifully drawn text and still image or motion backgrounds with composite overlays. You can control them easily from the stage with no need for additional software, computers or volunteers to click a mouse.

In version 1.993, you can connect to one or more Google Chromecast devices to control lyrics on and HDTV or digital projector! This means you can do all of this inexpensively and wirelessly. Check out this video to see how!

Note: Video of Chromecast screens are not a simulation and there are some artifacts from the camera operating in low light.

Download OnSong today and experience the best app for musicians. http://onsongapp.com/download/

HecticArt

Zombie post!

Is anybody using anything new, different, or better for their set lists?

I'm thinking that I'd rather stay with something PC based since I already have all of my sheet music, MP3's, and other reference stuff that I use at band practice.

All I really need an app for is to keep a list of our songs that can send midi commands to my Helix & GR55 to change my presets.

Anything more than that I wouldn't usually need when playing somewhere.

Right now I have everything in a multi page PDF that I can touch the song name and it will jump to the sheet music. I've read that I can program scripts that will change my presets, but thought I should see what recent apps are out there before I go to the bother.

whippinpost91850

I use SetList Maker, to do what you're asking