VG-99 - Win7 64 Home Premium can't install USB driver...including UA4FX

Started by embryo, November 18, 2009, 09:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embryo

Hi guys I need help here. My Win7 64 biti the Home Premium version and I'm having trouble setting up USB between the VG99 and the OS.

I tried but in vain installing the UA4FX_Win7_64 driver that I read in the other threads some if not most of you have managed to sucessfully use. The trouble I'm facing is I can't install the driver directly from the extracted downloaded file because the installation stops at the point where the installation wizard prompts me to "Please use aUSB cable to connect the UA_4FX and your computer and wait. The driver will install automatically." Basically I plug in the usb from the VG99 and nothing happens.

Next I tried Mesaman's method but I get stuck because there's no listing for "Roland" under sound and game console listing of manufacturers. I tried to force the browse to pint to my extracted drivers folder of the UA4FX but it can't find the ".ini" file!

Please help me find a resolve to this and thanks everyone for responding. Cheers!

Quoting Mesaman "Great news!   I figured it was unlikely that Roland was using a one-off chip for MIDI and audio I/O, so I went looking through devices under their Edirol line.  I found the UA-4FX - a USB audio/MIDI interface http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=UA_4FX_win_vista_x64.zip

1.  Download and install driver for UA-4FX
2.  Plug in USB cable for 99
3.  Cancel out of driver install wizard
4.  Open device properties for VG99 in device manager
5.  Click on driver tab, click update driver
6.  Select browse
7.  Select Let me pick from a list of drivers
8.  Select Sound, Video And Game Controllers
9.  Select Roland in Manufacturer list
10. Select UA-4FX, click continue on "may not be compatible" warning

And it works!  I select UA-4FX for my MIDI IO in the editor and I can work with the 99, and it also worked for audio in Sonar.  I've only tested on my machine, so no guarantees.  Good Luck!

PS.  It's slightly annoying that Roland hasn't taken this simple step for us, the Edirol drivers that work with the USB IO chip in the 99 were released in 2007."

mesaman

I upgraded to Win7 Pro 64bit not long ago.  I guess there could be a difference between Home Premium and Pro, but I just plugged in the cable, canceled the new hardware popup, selected update driver from device manager, and pointed it at the inf file.  Worked like a charm, just like on Vista.

embryo

Hey Mesa,
tanx dude! It worked!!!

I went tru the whole process over again and discovered that in my anxiety of not seeing Roland listed I forgot to manually point specifically the .inf  file within the "files" folder of the driver folder! Sheesh! I feel so silly but it's all good....for now I guess ;)

Btw wich is ur  fav Mesa amp? I love the Dual Rect and Mk V

Elantric

FWIW -
Get official Roland VG-99 USB Drivers here.

Observe official Windows 7 drivers now exist since 2011.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VG-99

Must follow Install instructions  - see the READ_ME.HTML file inside the Driver Downlod file after you extract the zip file.