We miss you Bill Ruppert!

Started by Radley, July 12, 2013, 05:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radley

This certainly is not an original thought ;), but I think Roland made one of the *biggest mistakes of the century* by not hiring Bill Ruppert to do programming and seminars for them - I believe they would have easily tripled their sales to date if people could hear what can be done with the VG99 in the hands of a sonic master!  He would have a nice steady income doing what he loves, and we the users would have had the best teacher in the world on all things VG... MOST unfortunate!

I have just gotten back into my VG99 after at least 2 years away, and I'm starting to hear the raw potential Bill spoke of - it's an amazing machine, but it takes a lot of experimentation and knowledge to even approach Bill's level of programming, but I'm pretty determined now...  8)

BTW, It's good to be back here on the VG board again - a very cool place to learn & hang!  8)

Radley

Sadly, I get the impression this is not such an active board now.  I also have noticed that Bill R. has not posted here in quite a while.  Does anyone post here regularly any more?

Radley

It is also very sad that the numerous VG-99 demos that Bill posted are no longer available online - did anyone save them to disk while they were still up? If we had access to these, I believe they would inspire us to go deeper with the VG... I, for one, heard them all, and they are in a class of their own. And no, I am not one of those who faults Bill for not sharing his 'money-maker' patches - I just wish we could still hear them for inspiration...

Brent Flash

Bill has posted recently and the VG-99 section is active when members have a question. Otherwise it stays pretty quiet.  :)

Kevin M

Most of us VG99 users have 'settled in' and understand we won't be getting any firmware updates. Still, look at some of the more recent patches posted from members such as rolandvg99. He's doing some very interesting percussive patches, among others.

whippinpost91850

musicman65

Us VG99ers are still here. We get a new guy asking questions periodically so the posting activities come and go. I monitor new post several times a day and the subjects vary widely from new gear to tone to tech stuff. Its a grab bag of knowledge.

If you want some discussion, ask a question or issue a challenge. There's a lot of VG99 die hards here!

bd

rolandvg99

Had my VG-99 packed away for about a year and a half while fiddling with tube amps and pedals. Got a major inspirational boost by aliensporebomb's VG-99 driven album - This is Aliensporebomb. Back in VG heaven. Never got to hear Bill's VG stuff, but his demos for Electro Harmonics are stellar.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Radley

Thanks for the responses guys ~ It's very good to know Bill is still around. He obviously is doing great work with the Kemper as well.  :D

admin

Nice to see hear from you Radley,

More incite on navigating the maze here at this link

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6125.0

DeRigueur

Hi Radley,
Haven't seen you around in a while.
Hope you're doing well.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

aliensporebomb

Regarding Bill's demos - some of us saved them but they really can't be shared as his endorsement deal with EHX really preclude them being shared publicly anymore.  The last thing anyone wants to do is jeopardize his deal.  As amazing as those demos are, he's arguably gotten more well known from his EHX Effectology videos. 

There IS a long dead thread here where people were trying to recreate his patches - that could be looked at again, and, between this site, the old Yahoo VG group and some other online sources there still remain some of his demos that he shared as part of an ongoing educational effort that wasn't completely falling on deaf ears. 

The real thing though is that Bill is an amazing guitar player.  His voicings are hip, his fingerings are smooth as silk and his solos are right on.    It's no wonder he's a popular session guy where he's from.
If you had every patch he made you still need to practice a lot and listen to a wide range of music to get in his area.

That being said I've learned tons from what he's said about effects programming.  I still plan on doing some "how tos" - I've been a bit scarce on the programming front lately as I'm in "gig post mortem and rig reshuffling" mode but plan on a big resurgence as I've got two great variations on a lead guitar patch for the 99 that are rivaling my tube gear in sound and feel.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Radley

Yes, I know Bill is a great player with lots of taste and finesse. Funny thing, I thought I had saved Bill's demos but I can't find them on any of my Macs  >:( Obviously I would never want Bill to risk his job to for such a thing. I started reading through his tips yesterday and suddenly got excited all over again about the VG... to be honest, I didn't give it a decent trial before shelving it for some new piece of kit - shame on me! My praises of Bill are not meant to slight any of the patch contributors here - I hope to try some of these patches soon, but I need to learn the basics of using the Editor and Librarian first (not even sure how they're different).

At any rate, it's good to be back and see some of my 'old friends'.

Cheers to all,
Radley (Hadley)

mbenigni

At this point when I find evidence (e.g. on YouTube) that Bill Ruppert is using a piece of gear, I consider it a significant reason to get on board, just so I can benefit from his amazing demos.  EHX was wise to embrace his work, and Roland was extremely foolish to overlook it.

But yeah, you have to acknowledge that most of it is in his playing - the chops and the amazing vocabulary.  Sometimes I'll dial in one of his settings only to be reminded, "Bill Ruppert Sold Separately".  ;)

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on July 15, 2013, 07:47:36 AM
At this point when I find evidence (e.g. on YouTube) that Bill Ruppert is using a piece of gear, I consider it a significant reason to get on board, just so I can benefit from his amazing demos.  EHX was wise to embrace his work, and Roland was extremely foolish to overlook it.

But yeah, you have to acknowledge that most of it is in his playing - the chops and the amazing vocabulary.  Sometimes I'll dial in one of his settings only to be reminded, "Bill Ruppert Sold Separately".  ;)
Mark, you hit the nail on the head ;D

Piing

Hi Radley. It's Nice to see you here. I also miss Ruppert. His recordings were was an inspiration to program the VG99.

I had my VG99 packed for a long time because I am spending all the time with the Axe-FX II, but I hope that I will have time to go back to it soon.  ::)  The VG99 connected to the Axe-FX second input was THE BOMB!

Bill Ruppert

Wow that is so nice to be missed... does not happen much in life!
Im here and well.
Its so cool to see some old names I have not seen in a long while.
Hadley,Djorge, Pling,Whippingpost,Todd, mbenigni, brent kmaus, musicman,Steve,Brent
Stay well you guys...and keep making great music.

Steve you owe me a drink a NAMM this year...I bought last.

Bill

Elantric

QuoteSteve you owe me a drink a NAMM this year...I bought last.

Will do!! only 6 months to go till Winter NAMM 2014

aliensporebomb

I'm still waiting for the Bill Ruppert solo CD someday!  Like ECM meets everything!

Piing

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on July 22, 2013, 08:35:19 PM
Im here and well.

The "virtual world" is not so heartless  :)

Keep yourself well!

Smash

No disrespect to Bill (I'm post "Bill VG" era) - to be fair Roland haven't done too bad - Gundy Keller is an inspirational and very likable player!

mbenigni

QuoteGundy Keller is an inspirational and very likable player!

I don't think anybody would question that.  I've been watching Keller's KPA demos lately, and it's the same realization:  achieving the same tone <> playing the same way.

BBach

I saw a demo that Bill Rupert did using the Electro Harmonix 8 step control voltage sequencer and I'm thinking of getting one to controll my moog guitar. I was wondering if it would be compatible with Roland expression control input. Anyone know?

aliensporebomb

Quote from: mbenigni on July 25, 2013, 07:00:07 AM
I don't think anybody would question that.  I've been watching Keller's KPA demos lately, and it's the same realization:  achieving the same tone <> playing the same way.

Learned a lot from looking at how Gundy's VG-99 patches were configured.  He's a great player - I liked his project with X-Ray Simon "The Art of Sound". 

I saw that 8-step sequencer demo too.  I'd look up the specs at the EHX website and see if the specs for what type of expression pedal allowable are online.

Bill Ruppert

Yes the 8 Step works with the Roland Exp input.
Would be killer with the VG-99....I have yet to work with that.
Plus its fun to watch the lights as well.

Quote from: BBach on July 25, 2013, 07:08:22 AM
I saw a demo that Bill Rupert did using the Electro Harmonix 8 step control voltage sequencer and I'm thinking of getting one to controll my moog guitar. I was wondering if it would be compatible with Roland expression control input. Anyone know?