VG-99 User Tunings and SysEx

Started by ForestCat, February 10, 2017, 11:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestCat

EDIT:  There was a problem in Lemur.  I'll leave this here for anyone else wanting to know how to do it.

Using SysEx it is possible to modify the User Tuning values for individual strings.

For example, to tune the A string in ChA down an octave, send:

F0 41 00 00 00 1C 12 60 00 10 15 0C 6F F7

To request the value of the ChA A string:

F0 41 00 00 00 1C 11 60 00 10 15 00 00 00 01 6F F7

vanceg

How quickly are you finding the values change?  When I was sending SysEx to change tuning values on the VG-99, it seemed like the duration from the moment I sent the SysEx message to the moment that the pitch change actually occurred was variable, from "near instant" (well under 1 second) to up to about 3 seconds.  I didn't pursue a solution because what I was trying to do a the time was change them really fast (like 1-3 times a second) for a particular effect I was trying to create.  But I'd love to know what you are finding in terms of the time between sending the SysEx and hearing the change.

Quote from: ForestCat on February 10, 2017, 11:07:11 AM
EDIT:  There was a problem in Lemur.  I'll leave this here for anyone else wanting to know how to do it.

Using SysEx it is possible to modify the User Tuning values for individual strings.

For example, to tune the A string in ChA down an octave, send:

F0 41 00 00 00 1C 12 60 00 10 15 0C 6F F7

To request the value of the ChA A string:

F0 41 00 00 00 1C 11 60 00 10 15 00 00 00 01 6F F7

ForestCat

I'm actually doing something very different.  I'm using the VG-99 MIDI Out (I know, I know, but it's actually not that bad for some applications...).  As you probably know, the Channel A Alt tuning and COSM Type affect the transposition of the generated MIDI notes.  I have an arduino between the VG-99 and an iPad, the arduino is doing all manner of MIDI manipulation/rechannelization, turning strings on off, grouping strings, managing 'bass strings', etc.  One of the recent functions is to 'compensate' for the Ch A tuning settings, so I always have the same MIDI output note range, regardless of what preset I've selected on the VG-99.  So whenever the arduino (which also reads the push buttons on my home-brew pedalboard) sends a PC command to the VG-99, it now also sends a sysex request for each VG param that can affect MIDI tuning, and uses the values returned as offsets to 'normalize' the MIDI notes from the VG before sending them along to the iPad stuff.
This is my first foray into bi-directional sysex w/ my arduino/Lemur/VG pedalboard.  It's a bullet I've been avoiding biting for years, due in part to my assumption it'd be too slow.  In this application, so far, it's been pretty snappy & robust.  It's opened HUGE doors for what I'm trying to do.

I'll try to send the VG some tuning changes in real-time ( it's a feature I need to implement anyway) & see if it's choking anywhere, and post back here.

vanceg

Cool!  I haven't tried in probably 3 or 4 years.  At one point I really wanted to have the tuning of individual strings changing in real-time.  I figured out some other ways (using Bend or just jumping between entire tunings) to accomplish kind of the same thing.