VG-99 - Using standard Guitar In/Out

Started by Jimm, November 24, 2014, 11:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimm

I have always been able to help my son with the technical aspects of guitar amps and sound but after about 6 months with his Vg-99 there a couple real basic things we have yet to understand. First of all, he uses a Les Paul Standard, Gk3 pickup, FC-300, VG-99 and a Marshall DSL 40C. The only way he has used it so far is with GK3 input and the output is the Left/Mono into the amps rear (effects loop) return.

When switching the GK3 switch to standard pickups only, we can't get a sound that we like as much as using the the guitar standard cable straight into the front of the Marshall. From what I understand, we don't want to plug the VG-99 into the front of the amp because it's like running a preamp into a preamp into a power amp. All I can assume is either we didn't have it set right or you just don't do that, it sounds terrible, overdriven and hissy.
That's 1 problem but here's what we really want to do...
Instead using the jumper to the GK3, we would like to use the VG-99 Guitar In/Out plugs straight from the guitar's 1/4 inch jack and into the front of the amp. The caveat is he would have to use the On/Off switch on the amps effects loop to switch between cosm and standard.

When we try to use the VG-99 as a standard effects box with guitar in/out we don't get any effects at all. The manual says we can do this and the GK select is off but still no effects. Guitar in and Left/Mono out works but why not guitar out?

I'm sorry if this is cryptic and that I may need to clarify but brain has been hurting for a couple hours trying to figure this out.

Elantric

If you want to use the VG-99  for normal Guitars - (like a Line-6 POD) its best to unplug the GK 13 pin cable from the VG-99, then plug the normal Electric Guitar input on the rear "Guitar Input Jack on VG-99 and then read the following threads:

VG-99 - No sound from normal Pickups
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5293.msg36234#msg36234

VG-99 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

Brent Flash

Jimm

Thanks for the threads, sometimes I have trouble knowing what words
to search for in previous posts.

Shouldn't I have been moved to the VG-99 forum?