VG99 and Return Channel - low volume - normal?

Started by pasha811, October 31, 2014, 12:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Yesterday we have extra time to rehearsal so I tested various VG99 + Physical AMP configuration to find the sound closer to my line outs @ home (earphones).
I have tried to connect VG99 to return channel of a Valve Amp (Marshall M I guess) but volume was sooo low that I have to reconfigure VG99 for normal stack amp and use the clean channel instead.
So what I did wrong?

Best
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

supernicd

Hard to say without some more details.  But did you check in the System area to see if the output volumes are set to system or patch, and then also in the mixer section? You can control the output volumes for the main, sub, and digital out independently.  Perhaps the output you connected the amp to was set too low?  Some amps also have a pot for the return level.  Possible that one had one that you missed?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Many Older Marshall's "FX LOOP" jacks are actually "Pre-Amp Out"  and "Power Amp In" jacks and these expect higher signal levels than the VG-99 can provide.

pasha811

@Elantric @SuperNiCd

That night I checked everything and the connection, pots, returns, VG99 output were right. I was also helped by my friend guitarist.
In the end I had to use the clean channel and put all tone controls to midday and presence to 0.
I can confirm that the AMP in question is old. It does not appear in the current product line and in the previous one (I am no AMP expert, simply took a look on the website), so I believe Elantric is right. The sound I was getting 'in front of the amp' was close enough to the one I needed. Strangely the Acoustic Guitar patch was a little thinner than @home but an Acoustic Guitar like sound, not a 'strong EQ' mystification. All other patches were acceptable. I was feeling proud of my VG99 at some point during a solo, when my friend (Les Paul, straight in the amp with some FX loop with GP16) told me that my sound was incredible for a Stratocaster.. it was a fat humbucker sound.. (it was a modeled variable guitar with an humbucker at the bridge in a T-AMP with high gain, no distortion, reverb and delay).. maybe after almost 3 years I am using it right..  ;D.

Thanks Elantric & SuperNiCd

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/