GR-55 -Why aren't people sharing their patches?

Started by jellyfishsquid, March 31, 2012, 04:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jellyfishsquid

::)

Moderator note* This user seems to have decided to leave and begin deleting posts, so i am trying to re-instate the post topics

Jim Williams

You are right in the fact that there a vast amount of members and if they all contribute there would be a large amount of patches available. I hope you take this with the respect that is intended. Your post may be a tad over the top, some people are here to learn and may feel apprehensive about sharing. There a lot of lurkers (witch is a bad word for people who might feel intimidated or just don't want do anything but learn) here and after some time they come around and become contributors. So please be patient the GR-55 is still relatively new and to get a better idea try browsing the VG-99 patch section, it has been around a lot longer and has a much bigger patch database. This is a learning comunity and is growing every day and has topics for a large number of products. please don't feel your efforts are not appreciated just because others are not as quick to offer their work.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

A2theT

Although I play my VG more than my GR, your patches are much appreciated and thanks for your continued contribution.  I plan on flooding the forum today with some more of my VG patches but I've only created a couple for the GR which I think I've already posted here..
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Jim Williams

I have post in a different thread on converting VG-99 Patches to the GR-55 with a downloadable work sheet. You might find it useful in converting some very cool VG-99 patches and do recommend checking out some from A to the T he has some dead on sounds.

Try this: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4388.msg29768#msg29768

You just open a VG-99 patch with the VG-99 editor and jot down the parameters for the GR-55 and most of the time you get pretty close or come up with something you like.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

tekrytor

Mia culpa...maybe some of us are still on the uphill part of the learning curve and our patches are not quite ready for prime time. Perhaps a "sandbox" area for posting patches in development would encourage some of us to post patches more frequently. Is there a rating system for posted patches; like on IMDB, etc?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Guitarius

"maybe some of us are still on the uphill part of the learning curve and our patches are not quite ready for prime time."

lol That's me, I've spent a lot of time just learning how to use this device, there's aspects I haven't had a chance to really get familiar with yet. Posting my patches at this point would probably just sink it to a whole lower level! hahaha

http://www.guitarius.net

A2theT

@Guitarius - Don't you think thats sort of a cop-out?  I mean I was posting patches within a few hours of owning both my VG-99 and GR-55.  Its very easy to export and share a patch over your USB connection.  I have to agree that there are a lot of members but there are also a lot of "trolls" on the forum.  I've received PM's in the past where users have actually asked me to create a patch or sound for them and my response is, "what have YOU tried?"  I really see no excuse for it other than laziness or timidness. Please don't be shy, if you're worried about critique, rest assured any criticism is purely constructive here.  Good luck and looking forward to your patches.  My excuse for not posting a lot of GR patches is that I haven't really made very many.  I spend 99% of the time playing through my VG and 1% experimental noodling with the GR.

@vguitarforum members
This message goes out to all our forum members, "Please don't be afraid to contibute to the community!" 
One thing I get a huge laugh at is on my youtube video #2 tutorial on installing a GK-Kit a member quotes:

"...you ever noticed how bad the community is for the VG-99? There are barely any patches for the device, roland don't do anything to support it, and there are no websites of people sharing. I've been? on the forum you quote previously but its rubbish, everyone who codes patches there is a complete newb... You got any decent ones? PM me if so - I play a lot of technical metal like Death and Cynic and love using my VG-99 for a punchier tone- love the fact I can sound like 2 guitars!"

What a farce.  We have 1300+ quality VG patches and only 200 user slots for them.  We have 300+ GR patches and anyone who complains about the community is obviously not part of the community (as in "not contributing").  It takes peoples contributions to build a community.  So anyone who complains about the community is a "hit-and-run" troll.

Sorry for my rant here but the youtube comment really irked me.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

Yeah, completely give me a break - this forum got me going on the programming thing.   So we have 1331 now and they're all programmed by "newbs".  Give break.

Speaking of Cynic - I've got a patch that sounds exactly like the clean rhythm guitar on Cynic's "Veil of Maya" (the jazzy part at 1:00 into the tune) that I got here of all places - it was a Joe Satriani clean patch that I just added some chorus to and bingo, it was the clean Veil of Maya sound.  He's probably referring to downtuned chud patches of which there are actually quite a few and if you don't like you can edit to suit.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

I have posted a few in the bass section, I am aiming for usable quality over quantity.

Gotta laught at those who ask for patches to be made for them, or wanting to sound like "name here" artist.
My answer to that is, learn to make your own patches, get to know the GR-55.
And why do you want to sound like "name here" artist's tone  when sounding like yourself would be much true to yourself.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

The other thought of course is that if you can't find the patches you want here; and if you can't make it yourself there's always the commercial patch production people.

I don't know of any for the GR-55 (yet) and I only know of one for the VG-99:  http://vg-99patches.com/ and some of their patches sounds pretty darned good.  Some better than others.

Heck, some people here could clean up creating patches for the commercial market.  They know who they are!

Player99

so is the attitude here "make them yourself or pay!"?

germanicus

A few points on task.

-I dont see anything problematic with a user wanting a patch that sounds like x, y, or z artist. It's gear. They are tools. People shouldnt be pests and badger others, but IF they can get/download a patch to get a certain sound they want, so be it, they then spend less time fiddling and more time (probably) playing/composing. I think that the vast majority of people who buy these units arent looking to tweak and fiddle. For myself, the vg99 was enticing because of its alternative tuning engine and guitar modelling. The HRM synth/massive effects versatility was all a bonus. Same with the gr55, I didnt get it wanting to spend hours discovering/creating new patches. I ultimately ended up spending tons of time learning the ins and outs of the vg99 to try and improve on certain sounds. I probably would not have done this if I had the sounds right off the bat in the unit from the start.

-Ive made a bunch of vg99 patches and uploaded them. Have made many for the gr55, but not uploaded them (until now). Ive included a complete dump of my gr55 and vg99 at the bottom.

-Many of my patches are just variations of similar patches and are just set up for different live set lists, many being the same patches just in different tunings.

-Some users on this group have refused to let their patches out to others. Whether this was because they wanted to capitalize off their popular patches by potentially selling them, or felt that people needed to 'pay their dues' and learn the deep editing themselves, who knows. Its their patches to choose to do that I suppose, but I do think trumpeting their creations in audio/video clips and then not putting it out to the community is .... muddled. I think the idea of them selling patches would work for about a day and then they would end up being renamed and uploaded/disseminated for free. Theres no way to enforce it being licensed to users, and honestly the notion (IMO only) of this is somewhat .... counter to the whole idea of a 'User supported community driven' group such as this.

Ultimately, those who enjoy tweaking are going to do that, and others just want certain sounds/capabilities without spending hours and hours learning the ins and outs of the gear. More patches is a good thing IMO. Putting patches out doesnt prevent people who like to tweak from doing so, and if the motivation is to enable others to learn, then really one of the best ways of doing such is to reverse engineer a patch to see how it works as it does.

Just my 2 cents.

The dumps included are a mishmash of mostly original sounds, and some taken from this boards library. If someone can get anything useful from them, great.

Make sure you back up your patches/system settings before loading these!

-
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

aliensporebomb

Well, maybe look at the process this way:

Flowchart:

-if roland default patches are not what you need:
-check free patches here (1330+)
-if free patches here do not suit your need then
-see if you can use an existing patch as a "jumping off place" to see if you can get close to what you want.
-if that doesn't get you the sound you're looking for you can ask here or consider using a commercial patch service if nobody here
  can get you the sound of asteroid riddled hippopotomi in collision course.

The 20 or so I've submitted are in the collection of 1331 uploaded yesterday.

A2theT

Quote from: Player99 on April 01, 2012, 07:38:04 PM
so is the attitude here "make them yourself or pay!"?

I don't think so. That was never said.  The attitude is "the community is built on sharing".  If only a couple of people contribute on a regular basis then the community will be small.  Sharing involves, knowledge, ideas, how-to's, patches, informative dialog pertaining to the topics, and any related contribution you may make.  This builds a strong community and heavy interest.  Hopefully this leads to manufacturers spending more time and R&D $ to develop current and future guitar products.  Without the community I think it probably does a disservice to the whole v-guitar market.   My point in the above comment was that it pains me to listen to people complain about the community when they haven't contributed them self, aside from asking for someone to make them a patch.
HEAVY on the METAL

w8ing4thewindshield

i totally agree with a strong, large community all doing their best to advance this particular technology.
i promise to do my part and upload any material i come across or create to contribute to the cause.

in the meantime, can you make me a patch? i'm striving for that perfect tone. send me that one.

thanks

Elantric

In regards to why there are more VG-99 patches here , compared to GR-55 patches  - the answer is simple.

The VG-99 has been around since 2007, and our forum began January  2008 - that means the VG-99 has been in end users hands four years more than the GR-55 which did not arrive until late February 2011.

I should also point out that back in February 2011, we had less than 1700 total members here.
In the past 14 months we gained 4,600 new members, - mostly because of the GR-55's release and our GR-55 group buy making this technology more affordable to the typical guitarist.

Learn more about the group buy here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2931.0

Lets review this topic in a year when I predict due to the GR-55's high sales numbers, we will have far more GR-55 patches than VG-99 patches this time next year.

Also observe our forum is called VGuitarForums, not VG-99Forums, or GR-55 Forums.

This was intentional - as we wanted to have a community that was not bound to one device, and could grow to accommodate future Virtual modeled guitar technologies.

A2theT

Quote from: w8ing4thewindshield on April 02, 2012, 08:27:52 AM
in the meantime, can you make me a patch? i'm striving for that perfect tone. send me that one.
thanks

Ok smart@ss  :-* I worked long and hard on these so here's you're tone.  But beware, it could blow up your system............
HEAVY on the METAL

Gastric

Just uploaded my entire patch collection to my website (check link in signature below). Note it's 98% focused on electronica bass synth.

notnomiistakes

sidenote: hardly anyone makes MP3s along with there patches for the GR55. compare that to VG99 patch pages
sidenote two -  guiltrip - i don't post mine becuase they're tweeks of everyone elses.  just haven't taken the time to create my own for the VG99

w8ing4thewindshield

vablows

I can say that the only reason I bought the GR-55 was to have synth and guitar in one easy unit for gigging.

I have a top of the line tube rack setup with cab for my real guitar tone when I am at home or for pure guitar playing enjoyment that the GR-55 can't touch, but again, that setup requires maintenance with the tubes and is complex and not to mention weighs over 100 lbs. all together.

With that being said, I play in a Top 40 band and all of my sounds for the GR-55 are aimed at specific songs from specific artists so I am one of those people looking for "other people's sounds".

Can I make them myself?  Of course, and I have (I will be uploading and sharing very soon).

But it is nice to not have to spend soooo much time for each song if someone here already has it (I used the Santana patch and love it).

samandlyn

Just like to comment on this thread.
I think this forum is just fantastic and I have greatly appreciated the advice received when I was getting to know my GR55.
The people who contribute to this community are a cut above many of the other forums ( fora ? ) I have visited in the past.
I have never downloaded anybody's patches before, but if I did in future, this would just be an added bonus, and certainly not something I would just be entitled to receive.
Also, maybe I have this ( probably stupid, and due to my upbringing) idea that downloading someone else's patches is somehow "cheating" and I should have worked on it myself.
Ok, Ok, I know it's stupid...
I guess I have not uploaded any patches because I feel I am still learning and don't think my stuff would be of any use to anybody else, especially since there are a lot more talented guys here doing this stuff.
Maybe in future...
Just wanted to say my 2 cents worth is all...

A2theT

Quote from: jellyfishsquid on March 31, 2012, 04:48:50 AM
::)

Moderator note* This user seems to have decided to leave and begin deleting posts, so i am trying to re-instate the post topics

Thats a shame  ???
Hopefully the user hasn't left in spite but I think that may be the case.  If I ever leave this community I can promise you that I won't go around feverishly deleting my contributions.  We've seen members leave for many different legitimate reasons such as giving up on vguitar technology, other priorities in life, and even passing away  :'

I myself fade in and out every now and then but as long as I own a VG or a GR you'll see me around here as this group provides tons of support.   There are tips and solutions to all sorts of problems found here.  vguitarforums really is an invaluable tool and I'm thankful for that.  I have other products I enjoy that just have terrible deserted communities.  For example, my Digitech Vocalist Live Pro has essentially a dead community and no third-party support can really be found....

Speaking of fading out every now and then, I haven't seen ddlooping around here since last fall and he was a very respected member.  dd, you out there?
HEAVY on the METAL

datsunrobbie

Just dropping a thank you to all the active members of the forum for their contributions - patches, reviews, software, tips, whatever. I have not even touched my GR-55 since the first of the year. Someday life will settle back down and I can start playing again, and I'll get to start checking out the sounds you folks have put up, and maybe make some of my own. Most of what I play is open-mic night classic rock/blues cover tunes, but I think I have a pretty good asteroid riddled hippopotomi in collision course patch on my GR-700 that I can try to translate over to the GR-55 :D

drwho

I was gonna post on this yesterday.  But now the OP seems to have packed his bags and moved on.  Not sure why he would get upset.

I have had no time with this GR55, I have had it for just about a month.

I have made one patch and plan on making more patches for simple guitar effects and setup.  Of which I plan on sharing at some future date.