GR55 and GP10 - How Do You Connect or Use Them Both?

Started by Dunny Daw, April 24, 2016, 12:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunny Daw

Hello,

I've seen a few posts where users have both a GP10 and a GR55 on their pedal boards and are obviously using both together, but I can't work out how users are connecting them up.

How is the guitar and GK3 (or Godin) connected to the two pedals?  Is the input into one pedal, than out put to the other pedal, then on to the amp?

But how do you get a patch from the GP10 sounding, then switching to a patch on the GR55?

What's the signal chain, and the connection or output from each pedal to the amp?

I'd love to be able to get some of the "normal" pedal sounds from the GP10 and the synth sounds from the GR55, but can't work out the daisy chain from guitar and GK3 to each pedal and then to the amp.

Thanks for any comments.

FreeTime

You'll need something to split the 13 pin input cable to the 2 devices, it's a bit more complicated than just hacking up a cable and soldering on another connector because of the +/- 7V signals, the volume control and the S1/2 switches present on the cable. A device like a Roland US-20 or Codesmarts GKPX-14 (that's what I use, it allows for 4 outputs) would work, don't forget you'll need some (short) 13 pin cables to hook everything together.

I then take the output of the Gr-55 and feed it into the AUX in of the GP-10, then the output of the GP-10 goes into the board.

If you search this forum its covered in great detail, i.e.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7869.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12045.msg87362#msg87362

dimarzio

I have the GR 55 and the GP 10 ...... I use the Roland US-20 to split them or run them both at the same time into 2 different amps.  Basically, your GK3 cable goes into the US 20 then 2 outputs to the GR and GP with 13 pin, then your 1/4 output from your units to your board or amp.
Schecter Damien w/ GK 3 and DiMarzio
Custom made guitar w/ DiMarzio
Paul Reed Smith w/ GK 3 and  Seymour Duncan
Rocktron Prophesy
Digitech 2101 Artist
Roland GR55
Boss GP10
Roland US20
GK 400 RG amp
Midi Buddy 128
Korg DTR 2000 tuner

dimarzio

Schecter Damien w/ GK 3 and DiMarzio
Custom made guitar w/ DiMarzio
Paul Reed Smith w/ GK 3 and  Seymour Duncan
Rocktron Prophesy
Digitech 2101 Artist
Roland GR55
Boss GP10
Roland US20
GK 400 RG amp
Midi Buddy 128
Korg DTR 2000 tuner

Elantric

Also links to this topic can be found in the FAQ thread for each device

Click my blog below

Dunny Daw

Thanks folks, for the comments.

In re-reading my original post, I didn't ask my question very clearly.  I do know about signal splitting of the GK3 pickup to the two pedals, and I have got that capability to hand.  But with the other clues in the various posts, I've now got a few options to try to get the sounds of each pedal daisy chaining from one to the other, then to the amp.  I just wasn't sure if everything fed into one pedal, then out of that pedal into the next pedal, then out of that to the amp.

I'll give it a go over the next couple of days, and use assign pedals to turn effects of each pedal on and off, and see what result I get at the amp.

I only intend to have one amp which both pedals will feed into, and I'm not yet confident enough to send it all to front-of-house rather than to my own amp.  Still, I'll try and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Elantric

QuoteI only intend to have one amp which both pedals [GR-55 & GP-10] will feed into, a

This works:

GR-55 Headphone out to GP-10 Aux In > GP-10 Out to Amp

or get a mixer
http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/splitmix4/

CodeSmart

This is my home made combo pedalboard for GP-10 and GR-55. GP-10 to guitar amp and GR-55 to P.A.
I carry it with me all the time, rehearsals as well as live. This is the perfect combination for me. Rock solid!!!
The set list I put in the GR-55 patch list. I'm supposed to connect them together via a MIDX-10 but I'm too lazy.

The FS-6 is connected to the GP-10. The EV-5 foot pedal controls GR-55 volume (thanks to GKMX-42) and the GP-10 pedal Controls GP-10 volume.
Both just an inch from each other. Full control on both with one foot.

Mostly I'm playing with my Godin xtSA Koa guitar, but live I have a backup with a Ibanez Prestige (GK-Kit) and a few songs done best with 24 frets.
I will replace the GKMX-42 with a GKMX-33 when I'ts ready. The GKMX-33 will inter-connect everything both soundwise and MIDI-wise.

The other guys (SY-300, VG-99 and GR-33 I play with at home and use for gadget development work).

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!