New member Pete

Started by Pete1959, May 14, 2014, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1959

Hello from Montreal,

I have been reading these posts since buying my GR-55 last December. I really have to thank all the senior members for tips, videos and patches since then.
Although I am new to the synth world, I am quite familiar with Boss/Roland COSM devices from pedals to Cube amps. Started with the Boss GT-6, then a GT-8 & then a GT-Pro which sounded great with my Peavey Classic 50/50 and Marshall 2 x 12" cab.

Just sold my trusty GT-10 which has served me well through the past few years to buy a second hand GR-55 as a backup unit. (One failure nightmare experience onstage has stayed with me...)

With the GK3 pickup on my old Wayne's World II Strat (modified with a flame maple neck from Warmoth), I have read the manual, the tips and using my knowledge and taste for tones, it made the learning curve much easier.

While the array of non-guitar synth tones are nice, I only use a few from time to time. What I found incredible was the ability to pull guitars, amps, tunings, effect settings and connect them to a patch. I was slightly bothered by the tone, especially when using some non-guitar sounds. Reading the advice published by the senior members, I am now using my PA gear to output sound and the extra range of the speakers does the job nicely.

Last week, I sold my 2002 American Standard Strat and bought a Roland Ready GC-1 Strat which visually matched my old one (black/maple) although not quite as comfortable. 

I still have patch change volume issues despite following the tips. Need to spend time carefully studying the manual and relying on these posts.

Regardless, the number of things that the GR-55 can do is nothing short of amazing. Look forward to my first gig 3 weeks from now using the GR-55 exclusively.
I can see myself selling more of my gear and may just add the GP-10 next month.

Many thanks to all and hope I can contribute in the future.

Elantric

Welcome to the forum!

Re volume change per each patch - the trick is at your band's rehearsal press the GR-55 "EZ Edit" Button, adjust your patch volume, and then press write twice.   

gumtown

Sounds like you are now GK addicted..  ;)

As Elantric stated, level those patches in a loud gig level setting,
matching levels quietly at home just doesn't work out too well,
and you will end up like
<<<< this.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kenmac

Hi Pete, welcome from Toronto. Any questions or issues you have with the GR-55 will be answered by the knowledgeable and helpful forum members here. Enjoy.  :)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

Pete1959

Thanks everyone.

I have not really done much with the EZ Edit button yet but will try... Thanks!

I get such a kick tossing in a piano riff in the bridge in "China Grove", or a marimba sound in "Under my Thumb", or a clean Tele neck tone in "Crazy Little thing called Love" all from the same pedal, I'm like a 54 year old kid!

I play a wide variety of tunes from Elvis to Pearl Jam or ZZ-Top depending on the gig, it really inspires new ideas. Need only to adapt to the type of instrument at times and creating interesting variations as seen on some YouTube videos.

Some of the patches which are works in progress include a preset for Robert Plant's "Ship of Fools" which has a strings "hold" on the top E and A strings and a clean Strat 2nd position tone with delay... Getting there.

Also having fun using "minus 4" tuning and playing "Sharp Dressed Man" in E shape which keeps the song in C but has a deep tone. Using LesPaul model but not quite tweaked the amp model to my liking.

If I get the patches to a level that I can gig with, I will upload.

Appreciate the ideas and advice...