GR-55 - Surf & Rockabilly Patches

Started by Sedgewick, March 27, 2011, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgewick

Here is my first attempt at sending in two of my patches.

The Surf patch uses a COSM Strat rear pickup, and lots of reverb.  The control pedal turns on/off the tremolo effect.

The Rockabilly patch uses a COSM Telecaster, rear pickup, with reverb and a "slapback" delay.  You may with to tweak the delay to suit the song, and you taste.  The Control pedal adds compressor to alter the flavor a bit.

I would appreciate advise on how to improve them.

paults

Hey,

Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to listening to these. 

One tip for programming delay time - set it to note value instead of a specific time. Then, just tap the beat as the drummer counts in. Instant perfect delay.  Eighth note delay works really well for rockabilly and similar sounds.  With it tappable, you can use the same patch for "Rock This Town" as you would for "Let's Go Tripping' ".

Something that works great for Surf sounds: With all the control the 55 offers, you could also have the expression pedal just tremelo at one extreme, and reverb at the other.  Positions in between would change the mix between the two effects.   

Sedgewick

Paults:

Thanks for the advice.  I'm still looking for the option to alter delay based on tap tempo.  From the manual it looks like it's only available if I pick "pan" type delay.  Is that the case ?

gumtown

BPM based timing for use with TAP tempo are
MFX: Phaser Rate, Step Phaser Rate, Tremolo Rate, Auto Pan Rate, Slicer Rate, Hexa-Chorus Rate, Space-D Rate, Flanger Rate, Step Flanger Rate and Step Rate, 3Tap Pan Delay Rates(x3), Time Based Delay, Pitch Shifter Rate.

MOD: Phaser Rate, Flanger Rate, Tremolo Rate, Rotary Fast & Slow Rates, UniVibe Rate, Panner Rate, Delay Time, Chorus Rate.

Main: Delay Time and Chorus Rate.

Some have a Time/BPM switch option, while others have the BPM rates past the end of the maximum time setting..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Sedgewick

Gumtown:

Thanks for the clarification.  In your Floorboard editor,  do I just set the delay time to where it goes blank ?  I haven't seen any delays with a bpm/time switch, but I haven't looked through all of the options as yet ( there are so many ! ).

Thanks for all of your efforts on the Floorboard editor, it has been a big help to me in trying to understand the capabilities of the GR-55.